Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Formosa build

Hi,
    Just got a Formosa kit from pips. Eric delivered all the stuffs I wanted to my door step...well downstairs carpark.

Formosa builders, any tips? Planning on starting the build in the next few weeks. From the kit, it looks straight forward.
    Plan to use the Jethobby 2410-09 brushless with 3cell Lipo. Will this be enough to do some acrobatics?

Thanks.

MS

haven't flew a formosa myself... but your bl can go to about a 8x4 prop with a 3S lipo.... dunno if you can do alot with that.... must ask the pros here... should not be a problem to fly thought... 600gm of thrust to about 700gm of weight

Comment

hi ms,

im currently flying one, my take is try to build it as light as u can. if u want durablilty u can try glassing it with the lightest FG cloth. i glassed mine but didnt do any of the other strengthening mods like gluing a spar across the fuslage , so as to keep it light.

And apply clear tape to seal the hinge gaps. Mine flew sharper after i did tat.

it shld fly well with a 9x6 prop. best to measure amp drawn to keep the amps within motor specs. Keep the battery light as well, tp 1320 or evo 1200 will be good.

i moved my CG about 5mm back from the recommended cg in the manual for better acro performance. u can start with the manual cg n adjust to ur liking.

cheers
      what's next?

Comment

add carbon strips inside fuse in case.
        JR 9x
        Raptor 50 SE
        Raptor 90 3D
        Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
        Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
        Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Hi Mazon,
          Thanks for the tips. When you say seal the hinge, do you mean that just tape either the top or bottom of the hinge with Bendem tape?

Thanks.

MS

Comment

Hi, you will enjoy this plane...huge speed range and big control surface...does almost all basic aerobatic well...

However your suggested powerplant, I think is a little on the low side. 2410-09 on 3s flies best on light weight 9x6 prop. Cant do some high power manvr...

I would recommend untrafly frio 10 1050 b/l motor on 3s, power to weight is about 1.2:1. can carry up to 2000mah. Its cheap too, Its only sgd 42$!!!

I build my formosa with retracts, works well. the thread is 'Formosa# quick built', some pictures there to gide you along.....have fun cheers

pm me if you need any further...

Comment

this is the thread,,,I think

cheers

Comment

Hi,
                Where can I get the frio 1050 brushless motor?
                Can the motor work with the HobbyWing 18A ESC I got from Jet hobby?

Thanks.

MS

Comment

try www.aerosmith-hobby.com.

18a esc is about at the limits, max thrust is about 16amp but on throttle burst it can peak momentarily at 23 amp.

recommend 25 amp esc but 18 amp esc would probably be sufficient with slightly smaller prop....

Comment

Working...
                  X