Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with motor selection

Hi,
    Need some help in motor and ESC selection for my new project. I am building an intermediate foam plane, I downloaded somewhere. The wingspan is 36".
    I have 3pcs of 2cell 1600mah batteries which I am using for my E-starter now.

Questions:
    1) able to fly for about 10mins for each battery. Do I need to buy other battery?
    2) I have a bunch of 10x6 props, what prop do I need to fly this foam plane?
    3) how do I mount the motor?
    4) what motor (brushless) and ESC is suitable?

Thanks.

MS

hi dude i guess you're making the 3d mini. And from the looks of things its going pretty well

you can take a look at collective pitch's thread by which he has step by step explained on the building of this plane.

But unless you intend to use a brush 350C with 10x4.7 setup... a 2S on a brushless motor is not going to be able to give you the "ump" to do much 3d. ( i tried with a axi 2212/34 on a 2S 1500mah, didn't make it... had to use a big prop to create the thrust i needed... but bigger prop = bigger counter movement...) your prop should be capped to a max of 10 inches... any bigger and you might have the same prob i had...

all the best dude

Comment

So, if I choose to use 3S batteries for this plane, what motor should I get?

MS

Comment

Depends on the weight of your completed model. Usually for 3d its a 2:1 trust to weight ratio. i use 2212/26 for my zoom zoom 4d which weighs in about 400 grs.

Comment

SO recommendation for lipos is a 3s?But wouldnt it be too heavy?how anbout 3s1p@ 800mah range?

Comment

Flight time would be really short with a 800mah. And output of the batt is limited to about 10 amps if its a 13C

Comment

Originally posted by mjck
              Flight time would be really short with a 800mah. And output of the batt is limited to about 10 amps if its a 13C
              Yah... But if the AUW (All Up Weight) is much lower, then you would'nt have to draw so much Amps in order to hover plus you can fly around with only 1/4 throttle then your flight time would be much longer (More than enough when you're doing 3D)

Those of you who have seen Ronang 3D flying will be shock to find out his batteries' mah ! ......and I certainly dun think his flight times ar short !
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Hello...
                I still need to have a model number and ESC for me to go buy the unit. Anybody can give me their recommendations?

Thanks.

MS

Comment

HW18A ESC+ BM2408 Brushless motor Combo

is a good choice. however, if you want something in long run, get the AXI 2208/26 from SHS. then get separately a HobbyWing programmable ESC from Moh. (Jet Hobby)

cheers!
                  Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Cheam..man all this configurations .

Comment

AXI 2212/34 or =

If it's a 3D, Pitch/Dia should not be more than 0.5 so that you have more static trust. i.e 10X4.7 or 11X3.8.
                      Lonely flyer

Comment

Originally posted by msc
                        Hello...
                        I still need to have a model number and ESC for me to go buy the unit. Anybody can give me their recommendations?

Thanks.

MS
                        Aiyah ! .....you ask 10 different persons, you'll get 20 different answers !!!
                        Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Ok, so far I only got 4 suggestions, need another 6 more!

MS

Comment

Here's my 2 cents :

It all comes down to your budget.

Motors -> For >=$100 you can get the AXI(gold/silver line), Himax/Himark, Hacker. From what i read so far, these are pretty good outrunners which can churn out pretty high torque suitable for 3d flying.

For ~60, you have the clones/OEM whatever u call it of the above motors.

For <40, the only type of BLM u can get are the mushroom motors Prop correctly, these are the most economical way to a 3d setup.

Batt -> there are some 20C lipos in the market. So it is not impossible for a 750mAh cell to give 15A currents. These batt come with a premium, of course.

ESC -> most in the mkt are programmable. How user frenly the programming is another issue (but how often do we need to program our ESC ;) ) Nonetheless, i find the auto cell count detection in some ESC to be a good feature.

Hope this help! And lastly, check out the setups that have worked for fellow flyers.

Comment

Hi,
                              Thanks for input.
                              I am interested in the $40 and the $60 catergory. Any model numbers? and where can I buy these with a programmable ESC?

Thanks.

MS

Comment

Working...
                              X