Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on what kind of constructions method is plane is built, there are numerous methods and material suitable for hinging.

For foamies, the choices are quite limited. Unless some kind of modifications are done on the edges of both sides of the hinge line, the usual methods are mentioned as the above posts.

For balsa planes with thin wings like gliders, my personal favourite is to use the covering, like Monokote or Oracover, as the hinge itself. This method produces the most aerodynamic hinging which has absolutely no gaps at all. The other method is to use clear tapes like Scotch tape instead. Although it produces the same result as above, it does no last as long. For surfaces with thick hinge edges, my favourite is still the commercial piano or pin hinges which is a little expensive as was mentioned, but offers the smoothest controls if done properly. I usually use this method for bigger planes like my Dash-8. Since it offers one of the smoothest hinging, it allows me to use small servos on large surfaces without the risk of overloading it. Of course, to prevent it from slipping, I drill a hole on each side of it and insert a toothpick after installation.

For my sport planes, I use CA easy hinges by Dubro and SIG. Although to some it cost a little more, your small planes do not use a lot and you can cut each pieces into 2 instead of using it as 1 hinge. Thus, the total cost is still reasonable since you can probably use 1 packet for more than 1 plane.

Comment

Working...
    X