Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saito 72 - Piece of Junk

Bought a Saito 56 and 72 recently. The 56 started on the test bench like what I have come to expect from Saito. Running it in was a breeze and all the settings for a smooth idle etc etc was achieved quickly.

The 72 was another story all together. Its started and ran very roughly. I then notices that dark black stuff was coming out of its breather hole. I stopped the engine immediately and checked for bearing wear. I had suspected a broken ball but on closer examination, this was not the case. The stuff coming out was just too black to be metal wear.

I started it again and made very sure to keep it rich. It was running quite rich but I could still sense that something was not quite right by the way it was running. Head and crank temperatures were not hotter than would be expected but the engine still ran like as if it was really tight. Before I knew it, the engine appeared to sieze and it threw the prop.

Opening up the engine revealed that (a) the plastic rear crank case cover was literally chewed up from the inside and all the black stuff I saw coming out of the breather tube was actually the wear on the plastic case cover and (b) the big end of the con rod was broken. The whole of the engine crank case was covered in the black debris from the plastic cover.

This is the only Saito I own that uses a plastic casing. It appears that the casing is not able to withstand the normal operating temperatures of the 72. Its been taken back by the vendor to be sent to Saito for them to examine.

I would like to ask those of you who own and use a Saito 72, what your experience has been. Mine could have been a lemon but I am very disappointed that plastic was used. The other Saitos I own have all worked flawlessly except for this one. If this is a common problem of the 72, then let this be a warning for anyone intending to buy one.

I have checked their brochure and the picture of the FA-72 shows a metal back casing and not the black plastic back casing that was on the engine I bought.
    Last edited by Tony; 14-03-2006, 12:58 AM.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

If you have wear on the resin backplate, then its prob the conrod slipping out and going out of vertical.That would result eventually in the conrod breaking and causing the catastrophic seizure.
    Well, you should see my YS63s.The insides are all eaten up with metal chips all over.The conrod although intact seems to be peppered with chip marks.The piston looks worse for wear.I suspect a lean run on ground with an oversized prop caused it.Needs a new cylinder head,piston,ring,conrod ,etc.These engines when they go ,they do it in a big way!
    My first engine blowup.Its built light so they don't take much to destroy them.

Comment

would like to know if you've found any solution to this?
      JR 9x
      Raptor 50 SE
      Raptor 90 3D
      Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
      Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
      Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Chng
        would like to know if you've found any solution to this?

The service turnaround time at Saito seems to be operating at a snails pace. No response from Amy so far except that they will prompt. Cannot wait so I am refitting the Seduction Streamline for a YS63 instead.

Confucius

Comment

Go in there, looking mean, and threaten to Black list there shop if you dont get satisfaction.
          works every time
          Shuttle plus/OS37 rock on!
          Seagull Model Yak 54/SPE 26cc
          scanner/OS46AX COMPLETLY GREAT!

Comment

be advise ys63 is a pain to tune.
            i'm a rc sotong. And i know nuts about it.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse
              be advise ys63 is a pain to tune.

Yup. I've heard that they can be difficult to tune and keep in tune. Will see how it turns out after I finish my bench running next week.

Tony

Confucius

Comment

hi tony....how much is a 72 now?

=)

Comment

Cannot remember exactly but I think its about $380. The 82 is $420.

Confucius

Comment

Dont have any experience on the 72 but check this out...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4141247/tm.htm

Something about backplate issues.

Comment

Originally posted by muah
                      hi tony....how much is a 72 now?

=)
                      Sam,

Forget about a Saito-72. Get a Saito-100 for the Corsair .
                      I know someone who has one to let go at a good price

------------------------
                      Up... Up... and AWAY !

Comment

thanks bro......100 too big lah.... =)

incidentally I know of someone letting go of one.....could we be talking about the same nice guy????

=)

Comment

Working...
                        X