Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Methods of Calculation

Hi,

I'm fixing up my horizontal stabilizer. How do I calculate the size that is appropraite for my aircraft. Is there any calculations ? My wing span is 1470mm.

Also, how do I calculate the weight of the aircraft as to ensure its within its max takeoff or flying weight ?

Thanks

maybe it's better if you give us an idea of what you wanna do and the plane in your question.

It's quite hard to answer this question without further info
    TREX 500 ESP
    Futaba T12FGH

Comment

basic rule of thumb is 1/2 the horizontal stabs according to spad.org

Comment

These are the basic rules of the thumb to follow :

The most basic dimensions you'll need is the wing area. Everything else will be based on it.

(1) Rectangular wings are the simplest. Just multuply the wingspan by the wing chord ( width). If it's tapered, add the wingtip chord with the wingroot chord. Multiply this figure by half span.

(2) The total tail area ( including the hor. stab and elevator ) should be 20% - 25% of the total wing area.

(3) The tail moment (The T.E. of the wing to the L.E. of the hor. stab) should be 1.5 x chord. For non- rectangular wings, use Mean Aerodynamic chord instead(MAC).

(4) The total vertical Stab area ( fin + rudder ) should be 7% - 9% of the total wing area.

Comment

Most of us do not go to the extreme to calculate the power, stall speeds etc. We simply calculate the wingloading, which is using the all up weight divide by the wing area.

Conventionally, we use ounces for weight and square inches for wing area. An average 1/2A gas plane trainer should have around 13oz/sqft wingloading and a 40 size plane should be around 20oz/sqft. We simply compare these figures with the other planes in the classes.

Comment

Fantastic, thanks fellas !!!

Comment

Just browsing through the forum when I chance upon this thread.

Sticky this be?
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
                These are the basic rules of the thumb to follow :

The most basic dimensions you'll need is the wing area. Everything else will be based on it.

(1) Rectangular wings are the simplest. Just multuply the wingspan by the wing chord ( width). If it's tapered, add the wingtip chord with the wingroot chord. Multiply this figure by half span.

(2) The total tail area ( including the hor. stab and elevator ) should be 20% - 25% of the total wing area.

(3) The tail moment (The T.E. of the wing to the L.E. of the hor. stab) should be 1.5 x chord. For non- rectangular wings, use Mean Aerodynamic chord instead(MAC).

(4) The total vertical Stab area ( fin + rudder ) should be 7% - 9% of the total wing area.
                well summarize. Clear and easy to understand

Comment

this might help...

Comment

wah cool , where did you find this treasure

Comment

It is a very good reference

Comment

Working...
                      X