Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Crashes in first Two Flight of My P-51D

Hi all

Yesterday me and HotRod took my P-51D Mustang for a first test flight at Yishun Centre.

Test Flight #1:
    First flight, after hand throw it somehow just shoot up and stall and fall down head first.
    Damage: Motor bracket (Screw) broken. Can be CA back.
    Diagnose: All seems ok. Trim looks good before flight. CG look ok but suspect tail heavy or CG out.
    Fix: Temp fix motor and move battery a bit deeper. Offset elevator to go up (Nose dow).

Test Flight #2:
    After hand throw, it goes up and manage to level abit and it turn right (Wind blow). Then about 1second later, it goes up again (After I level it from wing blow). Try to fight back but stall again and hit the ground (Grassy land) head on again.
    Damage: The whole motor bracket goes all the way in. Head open up like durian.
    Li-Poly goes all the way in. Break propeller. Main wing secure screw nut area torn off. Canopy (Form area) break a bit. Wing got scratches a bit.
    Fix: Go home and fix.

At home last nite: Fix motor compartment, Epoxy the Head. Glue/Epoxy those crack area.

Run out of Main propeller (Bought a wrong size spare..Smaller). Then modify a bit by putting 2 propeller (EP 5035) instead. Also notice the Elevator servo signal are in reverse!! Shit!. Fix back everything. Realign CG (Purposely make head a bit heavy by moving Li-Poly all the way in)

Test Flight #3: Hmm... Today cannot test flight because going out. Thinking of doing it this come Saturday again if possible because Sunday (August 15, 2004 morning got something on so cannot join you all for Funfly... Unless it is on Afternoon or Everning)

Super-Hornet
    Last edited by Super-Hornet; 09-08-2004, 02:21 PM.

I don know but u ask for it ...... there is cheaper and easier alternative.

Mike

Comment

OK sounds like there is a CG + control fault which ended with a crash. Better luck next time if you are still going for solo other wise will be better if you can let other help you to trim the plane before try again. It is better safe than sorry

"Live to fly another day "

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and warning. Well, I used to Mode 2 and our TopGun Ace, Frank is using Mode 1. So, I think I will test flight on my own.

I kinda stubburn and will not give up easily. Who knows, 3rd time is the charm.

As I said, the only time I c an test flight is on weekend. This coming Sunday morning I cannot join u all for Funfly at Bishan due to I have something on in that morning.

Super-Hornet

Comment

David and Bon is on Mode 2, they should able to help if you request.

Ok ..... go ahead .... I admire yr determination but I do not encourage ppl to go this route.

There bound to be some advantage in wat u doing, perhaps u would like to enlighten us

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Advantages? Well I do not know yet. Will let you all know if I can do Test Flight #3.

Hmm... I wonder how many attempts do Wright Brothers takes to fly?

Super-Hornet

Comment

I totally agree with the rest of the guys, you should seek some help. I don't know where you fly, but please remember that a foamy still can cause injuries and accidents! Saftey first.

The problem you described sounds like you were too heavy on the elevator and the plane does not have the power or speed to pull up, or it is badly out of trim. If the elevator control was reversed, you would have smashed to he ground on launch instead and not pitch up.

The P-51 needs speed to keep flying, lose it and it stalls.

Comment

Super Hornet... I would gladly help you, if you need any

Comment

My advise take the help as it fly much better if it is being tuned properly......make hell lot of diff in its flying characteristic

Comment

Thanks David for your offer. As I said, the only time that I might able to let my Mustang out from cage is on weekend. So, if it is ok for you David and if I need your help, I might contact u again on later date. Plz let me know your contact number.

Thanks
                    Super-hronet

Comment

Just bring your bird on the next sunday morning funfly... if i am not around, think Bon should be glad to help too

Comment

Think all finding excuse to help All dying to try the mustang ! hahahahah

I hope this time round will see the mustang glide thru the sky

Mike

Comment

Mike... U too eager to test flight my Mustang is it? As I said on my previous post that this coming Sunday morning I can't make it. I got something on. Can only make it in the afternoon.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Working...
                          X