Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warbird experience

hrrrrrrr........woooooooo..........shhhhhhh....... !!!!!

That is how I feel yesterday after going solo with the GWS P-51 in a windy day.......it is realllllllll ......STRESSSSSS! My heart was at my mouth after landed the warbird SAFELY on the ground Just like first time flying solo and trying to land .......the wind was so strong it went up an shake like crazy........almost flying full power all the time .....MAN it is fun It will be more fun if not due to the wind factor.

I found the main different between warbird and slow/3D flyer is it need all the speed you got to keep it in control. (not less then 60%) At the same time do not try to turn too much and keep the plane as level as possible. Other wise it will stall and spin out of control. Be very sensitive to the control movement, too much will translate to crash! The landing speed is high so make sure you find the right spot for landing or reinforce you plane for no wheel landing condition. Reinforce your LE of the wing too, it can be damage easily during landing without wheel.

As more ppl are getting into warbird flying, may be we can share our experience and setup configuration. This will help to reduce crashes due to wrong setup and poor control. To start with followin is my configuration

Motor: EPS 350C with 0970 prop
    Battery: Etech 1200
    Servo: mix and match of GWS and high Tech55
    ESC: GWS 480 (8~25 Amp)
    CG: approx 6cm from the break line of the wing

More to try is to use the EPS350B gear box for more speed and higher capacity battery.

Piang oei, always like to go solo hor? My spitfire is almost 80% done up .... all control surface cut and glued

My understanding is using prop 9070 is for speed flying, u can go slightly slower w 1080 if I am not wrong and easier recovery in case it stall.

How abt the control throws? I don want to get too sensitive throw

I will madien this sunday and lets dogfight

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Well, my mustang so far completed fuselage, Front Wings and Rudder. Tonite might finish off tail horizontal wing and maybe tomorrow doing painting and avionics.

Super-Hornet

Comment

My corsair is almost done up too... just need to install electronics

Let's dogfight this sunday!!

Comment

dogfight man still trying to keep it in the air and land without damaging the plane. Dogfight means.........midair kisses No way still want to enjoy more on the warbird......as it is not as cheap as those home made 3D profile plane

May be we can try a formation flying instead how about that, at least it is of lower risk

Comment

Ehh... flying formation and dogfight? This is my first RC airplane. I don't know how will it goes. The only experience i have is computer simulation games. I being playing Simulation games for WWII for quite some time back.

Super-Hornet

Comment

dog fighting is great fun you dont really need to kiss anything you shoudl just try to foloow each other around and you can just say " TAT TAT TAT TAT TAT " hahaha

you can ask YZY i love doing that to people with my mustang.
              Only thing is they usually just trying to fly and i'm just irritating them, so more fun for me thatn for them...

It's great to do low G yoyos split S s and everything to keep behind someone. er dont crash though it's not easy especially if ou want to keep it scale looking and you're flying a relatively highly loaded plane with a tapered planform.

Especially the mustang and spitfires....

Comment

Hey, why don't you WWII pilots consider investing in a CSM Airwars Combat System? No need to use SAF "std bullet" (ie shouting "ratatatat" or "bang bang bang"). Fire infra-red bullets instead without damaging each other's plane, something like the MILES system for Infantry.

Visit http://www.rcmodels.org/csm/ for more details. I attach the description of the product below:
                __________________________________________________ __

The CSM AIRWARS system is a revolutionary new way to enhance the enjoyment of RC models by creating totally new ways to compete with your friends. Although primarily designed for aerial combat use in EPP foam slope soarers, with its high degree of programmability it can be applied in many ways to all types of R/C models.

Features of the AIRWARS system.

Non-contact combat system fires Infra-red 'bullets'.
                Eye safe - does NOT use lasers.
                'Bullets' coded to identify who hits whom.*
                All data logged on board - no secondary radio links used.
                Programmable optional servo response to hits.*
                LED indicator shows firing status and hits count.
                Two operating modes - Triggered and continuous firing.
                Automated PC based scoring system records combat results for up to 30 pilots per contest.*
                Scoring system uses pilot names (saved in AIRWARS unit) for simple contest organisation.*
                Scoring system keeps permanent detailed records of all combat.*
                Programmable fire burst length & ammunition limit.*
                Small (25mm x 50mm x 9mm) and light (approx. 25g).
                Simple, quick installation.
                * Accessed via optional AIRWARS PC interface cable & software.

Each AIRWARS unit has an infra-red gun which emits coded 'bullets'. The unit is also equipped with a 'Target' sensor which detects when it has been hit by a coded bullet from another AIRWARS unit.

AIRWARS caters for all levels of ability and competitiveness, from the pilot who just wants to fly for fun to those wanting to hold large and serious contests.

Each hit on the target is recorded in the AIRWARS non-volatile memory, and, if desired, the model can be made to respond to being hit with a programmable sequence of servo movements.

The number of hits on the target is shown by the flashing of the FIRE / HITS indicator LED and this can be used to score small informal battles.

But for the serious competitors the full details of a major contest involving up to 30 pilots can be recorded using the optional AIRWARS PC interface cable and software. This allows all aspects of the AIRWARS system to be customised as well as providing a very quick, simple way to handle scoring and rule setting for big contests. No need to remember a pilot number - AIRWARS stores your name and uses it for all scoring. Your bullets have your name on them!

To set up a contest using the PC interface could not be simpler. Just set the rules you want (burst length, ammunition supply, servo movements, etc.) and then connect each pilot's AIRWARS units to build the pilot list, upload the rules and reset the combat data ready for the fight. At the end of the battle simply connect AIRWARS units to the PC as prompted and the scoring is automatic. After scoring one contest the AIRWARS units are ready for the next bout. Full details of all your contests are stored as text files for reference, printing, e-mailing, etc.
                __________________________________________________ __

Can form squadrons, team-up and fight. Did seriously consider this product but no friends to fight.
                "The ground is my best teacher but not exactly my favourite"

Comment

The system looks cool but.....the $$$$ is on the high side. I don't think anybody is ready for this until we have master flying the warbird.

Super-hornet, man you are a hero, first plane and you want to fly a P-51. As what Frank said you need to bring a lot of foam CA for your flight Other wise first may equal to the last .....hahahhahaha.......just kidding......anyway good luck and you needed it

Comment

I'm definitely in sharing the air wars deal ... there's a buddy pack if its only the 2 of us.

anybody else interested?

Comment

Wah ..... looks like here is turning into a battle ground

In fact the airwave thingy is not too bad. I would suggest see how this warbird pilot goes. If we constantly have 3-4 warbird flying, we probably need a serious tho to it

wei young, welcome on board but certainly I am not ready for these gudget at the moment

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike Think about it, non-contact battles ... the girls will love it ... whee ...

Am just getting into this and am beginning to think of ways to make this more interactive and challenging for the medium to long term. There's got to be something to make the sport more fun beyond the loops, rolls and landing.

In the meantime, looks like i'll have to disguise my formosa to try and fit into Jason's slowstick combat pack

Can't wait to figure out who's nic is who at the flying fields.

Comment

Hi loyn (and all)

Thanks for all the good luck u given. When I finish my P-51D, I will try do a low, slow and and straight line flight first. Then progress from there.

That MILES device looks cool but in real life, bullet does not travel like infra-red or sound wave leh. Bullets fall in a curve due to gravity and travel slower. Anyway, no money lah.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Super hornet if you want to start off slow, you are better off with other plane as the P-51 has a guide path of a stone......if you want to know throw a stone and see how it guide Other wise you will need body bag

As for the IR shooting system, it will be fun only if we can share the cost as there is no fun if you are the only one with the system. I will suggest we made use to the flying characteristic of the warbird before anything else. Unless you want to fit it onto something else like slow stick When everybody knows how to fly one!

Comment

Working...
                            X