Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modification of free fly P-51

Hi Mike since you are interested in converting the free fly P-51 to a RC version. I will just put in some of my work for your reference.

1) Motor mount: this is how I attach the IPS power system to the P-51.

2) servo installation on the wing.

Comment

3) linkage on the wing (lower view)

Comment

4) RC equipment in the body

If you need more infor let me know glad to help

Comment

hey loyn

that mustang is great fun i did a very succesfull conversion of that kit a while ago as well with an IPS S2 gearing was excellent on 7 cell 300 nimh.

I'll post some details of mine as well later.

i had some issues with wing flex at speed so i had done quite a bit of fibreglassing worked very good.

Though i must say after GWS released their mustang i decided the conversion was a bit silly as it turned out a lot more expensive with the IPS S2 that died fast in this plane and not as good flying without rudder control.

Did you use the stock spinner ? i had drilled out and fitted mine to work with the IPS unit otherwise look a bit funny haha

i also cut a bay for the IPS inside the firewall and mounted a supporting bamboo chopstick inside the fuse itself.

didnt do good for it's cooling and probably helped them die a bit faster , but this way could mount the stock cowling and everything looked good and scale. very important for a mustang haha.
          Last edited by D.Yeo; 28-07-2004, 01:52 PM.

Comment

D.Yeo,

couldn't ya cut 3 holes in shapes to channel air when spinning on the prop spinner? Scale? I know some warbirds had cannons that shoot from the spinner?

Comment

D.Yeo I have modify the original spinner to fit with the IPS motor.

Ray, in real life the ME109G carry a 20mm cannon that shooting through the spinner. It is powerful but of slow firing rate.

Comment

loyn .... if it is not too troublesome, can u put the P51 in yr car? I will deliver the spinner to you tomorrow as well as take a look

Cheers

Mike

Comment

No problem bro but please page me before hand as I may be in a meeting or.....as my line equipment will be landing this Sat. Hell lot of preparation work to be done. At the same time, not between 11:30 ~ 1:15....will be working out at the gyrm.... try to keep fit .....

C U tomorrow!

Comment

is this the one that is free-flight from rotor, just that you convert it?
                    JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
                    Futaba S3154 Tail
                    Scorpion 2221-8
                    JETI Spin 44A
                    JR RS 77
                    Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
                    Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment

yup, that is the one only now they are selling a few dollar more! Just my suggestion if you are not too crazy about small plane do not try to go for one as the work and $$ involve is too much as compare to getting a GWS P-51 or simular warbird. I am crazy about going small, that is why I go for this project. By the way it is not that easy to fly even compare with the GWS warbird. Another word not for beginner!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X