This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to planes

Hi, wanted to find out where one can fly foamies and is it advisable to only buy high wing planes like Cessna...if uneven grass surface is unavoidable, can I still fly and land on it? Thanks for advice!

Comment

New at starting RC Plane

Hi,

Interested in starting out RC plane. Went to a RC plane hobby shop and they recommend a model Happy Boy trainer. Is this good for starting out? Are there any other trainer planes recommendation? Or should I get a foamie ones?

What TX/RX should I get? 2.4GHz?

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

As i will always recommend, buy a set of electronics, doesnt have to be top end, but should be good enough. Then buy some foam and build it yourself, extra 300 plan from rcpowers is a good one to start with, most importantly, its free!

I would recommend,
        Optic 6 set with included receiver
        4 HXT900 servos
        1 30A or 40A brushless speed controller from ebay, no need too expensive ones.
        1 ~900KV motor from ebay also, no need to expensive ones.
        Battery wise, about 1500mah 3 cell will be good.

The transmitter and receiver can last you a long time, so its good to invest in a programmable one like optic 6, spend abit more on the first one rather than change to another one 1 month later.

As for servos, no need to buy expensive ones, the ones i recommend are cheap and good enough. Beginner planes dont need high performance servos and crash seldom wreck servos for planes. Even if they do (seldom), you can easily replace them because they are cheap.

For ESC and motor, really, you dont need a $100 ESC or motor to start with. A decent $40 ESC and $20 motor is really good enough for beginner.

Battery wise, i cant say much for the price, only thing i know is the price locally is abit steep compare to overseas. 1500mah 3 cell is good for the plane and motor i mentioned. Though i use 2200mah ones.

Comment

Looking for Bird

Hi I veri new not even touch bird b4 n wonder anyone can advise what type of ec bird to get

Comment

sori is rc bird not ec

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz View Post
              Anyone here cover their estarter with iron on kote?

Got mine covered with monokote, but they seems a bit too strong for foam. Hence, any recommendation for a suitable iron-on cover for foam?
              There are a kind of fibre tape which is made in US for industrial use.It very thin and strong for foam.And the colour is white.when you use it on foam you cannot even know that is a fibre tape on it.I think with your experience in flying heli you should not have problem in learing to fly plane.Basically your plane have to be balance the CG in order to fly well.
              Heli

Align Trex 600N (Nitro ) Full Bling Gyro GY611. Governor
              TJ Rev Max
              Mini Titan SE
              DJI Phantom Quad

Glider EP

TT Soaring Star (2M) Glider
              Reichard Baracuda (3M) Glider
              Mulitplex Easy Glider 4

Car
              Kyosho 1/10 pitwork nitro car
              Baja 5B SS 26cc gas engine with tune pipe

Nitro Plane

Sportman Aviation 50

Gas Plane Hokusei 300L 30cc Gas Plane
              Goldwing Edge 540 50cc Gas Plane
              Blackhorse Splitfire 120 size with DLE 20cc gas engine.
              Sebart sukoi 30cc gas plane
              Hokusai 30cc gas plane

Kyosho 40 size Splitfire Os 56size 4 stroke plane.
              Hyperion Telios 90 Electric plane.
              JR9XII 72.XXX MHZ
              JR XG 14 DMSS
              Futaba 14 MZ sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Rider View Post
                There are a kind of fibre tape which is made in US for industrial use.It very thin and strong for foam.And the colour is white.when you use it on foam you cannot even know that is a fibre tape on it.I think with your experience in flying heli you should not have problem in learing to fly plane.Basically your plane have to be balance the CG in order to fly well.
                Sorry post wronly.
                Heli

Align Trex 600N (Nitro ) Full Bling Gyro GY611. Governor
                TJ Rev Max
                Mini Titan SE
                DJI Phantom Quad

Glider EP

TT Soaring Star (2M) Glider
                Reichard Baracuda (3M) Glider
                Mulitplex Easy Glider 4

Car
                Kyosho 1/10 pitwork nitro car
                Baja 5B SS 26cc gas engine with tune pipe

Nitro Plane

Sportman Aviation 50

Gas Plane Hokusei 300L 30cc Gas Plane
                Goldwing Edge 540 50cc Gas Plane
                Blackhorse Splitfire 120 size with DLE 20cc gas engine.
                Sebart sukoi 30cc gas plane
                Hokusai 30cc gas plane

Kyosho 40 size Splitfire Os 56size 4 stroke plane.
                Hyperion Telios 90 Electric plane.
                JR9XII 72.XXX MHZ
                JR XG 14 DMSS
                Futaba 14 MZ sigpic

Comment

FYP project

Hi all,

I am currently doin my fyp project and i need to program a UAV to fly by its own using MicroPilot. But since the UAV which will be designed by another student which will not be ready till end of the year, my prof suggest i start with RC aircraft and when the UAV is out, den i can put wat i practice into use. If suay suay that student cant show anything, at least i got something to hand it up. Needed to buy a RC aircraft so got some doubts that ppl here can help me with it.

1. Since 3 servos control rudder, elevator and throttle, if i get a plane with 4 servos, what will the 4th servo control?

2. Is there any difference between takeoff load and flight load? cause i need to mount the Micropilot, GPS athenna and additional battery which in total weighs another 110g+wt of another aircraft battery. I need an aircraft that can takeoff with that additional payload. looking into foam models like rainbow f3a-50ep, cessna 747, 182, 185 since my prof suggested foam.

3. Is the Radio tx rx Dx5e good? I dun need the radio since my prof got 2 6ch radio which he can lend me. But since i'm very interested in picking up this hobby and i only need the plane for my fyp, saw this package at jethobby web which sells Cessna 182 with the tx rx radio for $379. Hoping the shop keeper could open two reciepts which i can *ahem* show my prof i bought the plane at $200 odd and buy the radio at a discounted price...

4. Found a lobang for Thunder Tiger Super Cub EP ARF for $50 for the body and motor.. worth it? heard from my friend it was left in the store room unopen. So its rather new... planning to convince my prof to get that package and kope the radio so i can play with this plane if i get it from my friend...

Thanks for reading and answering this long question.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnahznay View Post
                    Hi all,

I am currently doin my fyp project and i need to program a UAV to fly by its own using MicroPilot. But since the UAV which will be designed by another student which will not be ready till end of the year, my prof suggest i start with RC aircraft and when the UAV is out, den i can put wat i practice into use. If suay suay that student cant show anything, at least i got something to hand it up. Needed to buy a RC aircraft so got some doubts that ppl here can help me with it.

1. Since 3 servos control rudder, elevator and throttle, if i get a plane with 4 servos, what will the 4th servo control?

2. Is there any difference between takeoff load and flight load? cause i need to mount the Micropilot, GPS athenna and additional battery which in total weighs another 110g+wt of another aircraft battery. I need an aircraft that can takeoff with that additional payload. looking into foam models like rainbow f3a-50ep, cessna 747, 182, 185 since my prof suggested foam.

3. Is the Radio tx rx Dx5e good? I dun need the radio since my prof got 2 6ch radio which he can lend me. But since i'm very interested in picking up this hobby and i only need the plane for my fyp, saw this package at jethobby web which sells Cessna 182 with the tx rx radio for $379. Hoping the shop keeper could open two reciepts which i can *ahem* show my prof i bought the plane at $200 odd and buy the radio at a discounted price...

4. Found a lobang for Thunder Tiger Super Cub EP ARF for $50 for the body and motor.. worth it? heard from my friend it was left in the store room unopen. So its rather new... planning to convince my prof to get that package and kope the radio so i can play with this plane if i get it from my friend...

Thanks for reading and answering this long question.
                    For 1, It'll be Ailerons.

For 2, I think a bigger plane might help.Aint too sure bout it.Got to ask around

For 3,Its a nice tx.But i suggest u to get a computer tx.

For 4, Its a 3 channel plane.Its a good beginner plane too.
                    Plane 1:
                    FreeWing F-15
                    Stock and modded with speed brake mod

Plane 2:
                    GWS Blue Angels C-130 (EDF)
                    Stock and modded with cargo doors

Control System:Futaba 9CHP 72MHZ

Comment

Wow, thanks for the quick reply JieZ...

I'll go to shops and ask bout weight thing... since i need to double confirm that the plane have space to put the Micropilot and extra battery.

Computer tx? what's the difference? is that the normal one a beginner shld get?

Comment

So called computer tx is one that normally has a screen and 6ch or more. You will be able to program lots of things with a computer tx, like special mixes and functions.

for your qn2, maybe you can pick a plane such that an increase in 110g is that as significant. Like, dont choose a plane with 300g flying weight and add a 30% increase in weight. Choose something like 1kg flying weight, so it will only add about 10% of the weight.

Heavier wing loading planes need higher speed to sustain flight etc, you must take into consideration. But i suppose the autopilot thing will take care of it? So it shouldnt be a problem

Comment

Hi guys,

Any senior / experience brudder here can see if is this good for a newie ??

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={117A64A2-2D9F-46D9-BAAE-3D392E3FC497}&pn=1

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by freebird View Post
                            Hi guys,

Any senior / experience brudder here can see if is this good for a newie ??

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail.asp?prodid={117A64A2-2D9F-46D9-BAAE-3D392E3FC497}&pn=1

Thank you in advance!
                            Sorry guys,

Please see.

Comment

Originally posted by freebird View Post
                              Sorry guys,

Please see.

Hi,

sadly, this plane is not suitable for beginners by a longshot.

Go for high wing trainers like the GWS Slow Stick or E starter, which you can get at the shop you mentioned in your post.

regards,
                              Adnan
                              Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
                              ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
                              Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask View Post
                                Hi,

sadly, this plane is not suitable for beginners by a longshot.

Go for high wing trainers like the GWS Slow Stick or E starter, which you can get at the shop you mentioned in your post.

regards,
                                Adnan
                                Thanks Adnan for ur advise!

For the other items, i just follow their recommendation as below? Or u hv suggestion before i go down to purchase.

1. Code: Laser4 HFS 29/35/40/72MHz FM Remote Control
                                (micro servos HS-55 x 2 and receiver included)
                                2. Code: EK2-0600 20A BEC
                                3. Code: 3E01 7.4V 800mah Li-Po Battery
                                4. Code: EK2-0851 Li-Po DC charger
                                5. Code: EK2-0902 110-240V AC Adapter

Thank you once again!

Freebird

Comment

Working...
                                X