Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible to use heli engine in airplane?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible to use heli engine in airplane?

hi, new to nitro plane, got a few questions. Is it possible to use a heli engine in a plane? Will the oversized heatsink cause problem? Where to get the flywheel thingy that usually comes with plane engine? Lastly hor, how to attach prop to a plane engine?

sigpic

I don't see why not. I've personally see planes with heli engine fly. They produce slighly more torque than the airplane counterpart.
    The oversized heatsink is even better when you have a cowling on. It aids cooling further and you won't be much bothered by overheating problems.
    What flywheel thingy are you talking about? If you're talking abt the spinner(the one coned shaped thing attached to the prop), it can be bought at any LHS.
    How to attach the prop to the engine? Use a prop washer, nut and a spanner.
    Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
    20,000 times a min

Comment

actually I am talking about the thick metal plate between the front bearing and prop. The engine is the tt50 that is up for sale, was thinking that the front bearing a bit loose, so not very nice to sell people, but then either way, I still have to change a new one wheather I want to sell it or use it. Hope it will pull my seagull 40 well. What prop should a tt50 spin?11 x 7?

Prop washer is the black piece of washer that comes with the engine? My plane kit came with a plastic spinner, do I need to change to a metal one?

btw, the big washer thingy that I am talking about is in the photo. Where can get one har?

sigpic

Comment

is this called a drive washer?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baby_zyklon
          hi, new to nitro plane, got a few questions. Is it possible to use a heli engine in a plane? Will the oversized heatsink cause problem? Where to get the flywheel thingy that usually comes with plane engine? Lastly hor, how to attach prop to a plane engine?

Look at the exploded view of the engine assembly in the manual. It is the Drive Hub and the conical split collar and a washer that is required before the prop goes on. Fasten the prop with a nut real tight. Deburr the new prop. Use a cloth to hold the prop while tightening. Use a box spanner if possible, adjustables tend to slip and cause the hex nut to get rounded.

I did use heli engines on my spads before. If you have no requirement for a spinner then it ok. Otherwise "SOME" shaft of the heli engine is way too short, there's usually no room for a second lock nut either. Note: As the prop gets bigger in diameter the root thickness increase.

hope this helps.

Comment

from the picture and the manual, I assume the order of placement is drive washer(tt call it drive washer, os calls it drive hub?), the spinner 's back plate, the prop, the prop washer, nut and then the spinner cap?

sigpic

Comment

There should be no reason why you cannot use a heli engine on a plane. You will need to buy the collet and prop washer and silencer. The heat sink is okay, it just adds weight upfront, otherwise no issue.
              To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

managed to get the washers. Now I find out that the shaft is too short, with a apc 11 x 6, I can only tighten it down with one nut, and that is without spinner. Is there any thing I can do to have a "spinner head" for easy starting?

sigpic

Comment

will a spinner nut work if I only have space for just one prop nut?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baby_zyklon
                    will a spinner nut work if I only have space for just one prop nut?
                    Just make sure its tight enough. Take extra precaution during initial start-ups. It should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X