Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My latest EDF project

I have a few outrunner motors that was lying around. Original motor was for a 80mm EDF(now defunct)
    I decided to modify and retrofit the outrunner motor to a 89-90mm EDF housing.

step :-

1) Drilled two 2.8mm hole for 7-8mm height brass support on the outrumnner motor bracket.

2) Thread the 2 hole using a m3 tapping tools.

3) Cut a small slot on the EDF housing to clear the outrunner 3 wires.

The unit is ready for assembly the impeller and electrical testing.

More next time.

Cheers

I run the test on 3S 4400mah 25C with a 75amps ESC, current drawn was 38amps and the motor run quite hot.

This outrunner motor is OK for 3S lipo setup but would not survive very long on 4 S lipo .
    Look like have to change to another better motor for 4S setup

Meanwhile I am saving up for

"Typhoon-EDF 2W-25
    [HET-EDF-2W25]"

Cheers

Comment

I installed and re-balance the 5blade impeller. Runs it on 3 cells Lipo
      Current comes to around 36 amps better than the preliminaries (probably due to the better balance impeller) and the EDF runs pretty smooth.

The ESC timing indicate the impeller at around 28000rpm on a fully charge 3cells lipo.

The total weight of the unit with bullet connectors is a mere 154grams , that is the lightest 89-90mm class EDF I have in at hand.

I may replace the 5 blade with a lighter and a more matching 3 blade so that I can run the EDF on 4 S lipo without causing excessive heat problem.

More next time.

Cheers

Comment

90mm EDF final installation

After the electrical test , the next action is install this EDF to a suitable test plane.

The Plane weight ready to fly with Batt & airborne equipment comes to 1065gm...just over a Kg.

Will test fly this week and see how it turns out.

Here are the static pictures of the final installation.

Cheers and more next time.

Comment

Hi you going to wlds ff? I need some help with regards to the setup for my cessena 747(almost an exact copy of e-starter). Maybe can join u guys there.

Comment

hmmm

dok, ko tak kenal dekni lah. turun je jurong kita ada...

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
            sigpic

Comment

Maiden successfully today on the third attempt.
              Apparently the EDF thrust line was incorrect causing the plane to dive to the ground during the first two attempt.

After correcting the thrust angle of the EDF the hand launch was quite easy.

Here are some pictures prior to maiden.

The second picture give you the idea of the size of the plane in comparison to the original micro-jet.

More pictures later when the picture of the plane in flight is ready.

Cheers

Comment

Cont, on my EDF project. I miss out a couple of details.
                It is the 20mm width masking tape.
                The masking tape is rolled around the motor so that the critical diameter is reach to snugly fit the EDF motor housing. This will ensure that the motor is position correctly and does not move even if the two mounting screw fails or comes loose...

More next time.

Comment

my EDF project part2

I have upgraded the fan with HET2w-25 motor.
                  I wrap a 10mm width masking tape to part of the motor body to obtain a critical diameter so that the motor will slip snugly to the EDF motor housing.
                  This will also help to centre the motor position properly.

This motor can take up to 1KW or 70amps max.
                  Preliminary test shows that it is drawing from 58-61amps of current on 4cells.
                  I use a 75amps and a 4000maH 25C new set of lipo(less than 5 cycles) to test.

Motor+EDF+bullet weights 195grams...compare to the 154 grams with the true outrunner motor that was posted in #1. It is one of the light weight EDF of the 90mm size category.

Warning, the original impeller adapter of this 89mm(90mm) edf is quite crappy which uses force feed method to hold such a large blade to the motor shaft. It just will come lose at high power.
                  I had it replace with a velocity 5mm diameter adapter that fit a 3.17mm motor shaft and it work well.

More next time

Comment

Working...
                  X