Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share Experience on GWS A-10

Hi guys,

Anyone flys the above mentioned plane b4?
    • Is the 2 x EDF55 brush motor good enough for this plane?
    • Do I need to upgrade to a brushless motor?
    • If brushless motors are used, do I need to change the ducted fan as well?

Thanks for ur inputs

Originally posted by jansonfinn View Post
    Hi guys,

Anyone flys the above mentioned plane b4?
    • Is the 2 x EDF55 brush motor good enough for this plane?
    • Do I need to upgrade to a brushless motor?
    • If brushless motors are used, do I need to change the ducted fan as well?

Thanks for ur inputs

No need to change the fan, just get something like Himax 2015 4100 (2s) 3600 (3s) etc. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc0V1SnyAtE

You dun need to upgrade the motor and it will fly well, but you might get bored fast. If you are hungry for a bit more power, you can try 2025 4200 himax motor but each draws 20-25 amps making a total of 50 amps.
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
      No need to change the fan, just get something like Himax 2015 4100 (2s) 3600 (3s) etc. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc0V1SnyAtE

You dun need to upgrade the motor and it will fly well, but you might get bored fast. If you are hungry for a bit more power, you can try 2025 4200 himax motor but each draws 20-25 amps making a total of 50 amps.
      but do i need 2 ESCs for each motors or 2 motors connected to 1 high amp ESC??

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post

You had one? What batteries do you use on it? 50amps - won't that discharge rate be a wee steep for our batteries?

Do you do batteries in series, or just have 1 batt to 1 controller?
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Hi Janson,

As the motor are brushless, each motor have to be control by it own ESC. For battery, can use one pack for each ESC. Or two packs in parallel and connects the ESC in parallel also. Remember to remove the +ve pin from one of the ESC on the connector to the RX.

Hope it helps.
          Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Gws A-10

If you are doing belly landing, make sure you beef up the pylons that are holding the engine necells. The A-10 was orginally designed for GWS-50 which is 1/2 the weight of the GWS-55, the sudden jerk of landing stress will rip the necells forward due to the extra weight.

I put a carbon strip through the extreme left half of the necells, through the fuselage and then through the right necells.

No problem thereafter. Good plane even with stock brush motors flys very scale, like the real plane, a prowling low level tank-hunter.

Cheers,
            Leon

Comment

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
              Hi Janson,

As the motor are brushless, each motor have to be control by it own ESC. For battery, can use one pack for each ESC. Or two packs in parallel and connects the ESC in parallel also. Remember to remove the +ve pin from one of the ESC on the connector to the RX.

Hope it helps.
              I've not yet purchase the BL motors as I just received the kit with the 2 x GWS stock 55mm ducted fan yesterday.
              1. So wat u mean is I must have 2 x BL motors, 2 x ESCs & 2 x batts. Nothing more, nothing less. & they are either connected individually or in parrallel.
              2. How do I remove the +ve pin from 1 of the ESC? Any pic or diagram to let me see how it's done? Or just cut away the black cable will do

Comment

Originally posted by leonlio View Post
                If you are doing belly landing, make sure you beef up the pylons that are holding the engine necells. The A-10 was orginally designed for GWS-50 which is 1/2 the weight of the GWS-55, the sudden jerk of landing stress will rip the necells forward due to the extra weight.

I put a carbon strip through the extreme left half of the necells, through the fuselage and then through the right necells.

No problem thereafter. Good plane even with stock brush motors flys very scale, like the real plane, a prowling low level tank-hunter.

Cheers,
                Leon
                Hi Leon,

Thanks for ur reply.

At which position did u put ur carbon strip? At the inlet or the nozzle area? Will it affect the airflow?

Comment

I've not yet purchase the BL motors as I just received the kit with the 2 x GWS stock 55mm ducted fan yesterday.
                  1. So wat u mean is I must have 2 x BL motors, 2 x ESCs & 2 x batts. Nothing more, nothing less. & they are either connected individually or in parrallel.
                  2. How do I remove the +ve pin from 1 of the ESC? Any pic or diagram to let me see how it's done? Or just cut away the black cable will do
                  See picture.

It’s the centre line, usually red colour. Use a needle or the tip of cutter to slowly and gently lift the tap in the connector. Than pull out the red line, flip the wire away from the connector and use insulation tape to cover the exposed metal socket of the red line. Only do this to one of the ESC, the other ESC will supply power to the RX.

Comment

See picture.

It’s the centre line, usually red colour. Use a needle or the tip of cutter to slowly and gently lift the tap in the connector. Than pull out the red line, flip the wire away from the connector and use insulation tape to cover the exposed metal socket of the red line. Only do this to one of the ESC, the other ESC will supply power to the RX.
                    ic, this is to prevent overpowering of the rx rite?

But can i use Y-cable to 1 lipo rather than 2 lipos? Cos of the space available n the weight

Comment

ic, this is to prevent overpowering of the rx rite?

But can i use Y-cable to 1 lipo rather than 2 lipos? Cos of the space available n the weight
                      Not over powering the RX. This is to prevent the two ESC from killing each other as both are trying to supply power to the RX at the same time. You will see the magical orange glow follow by puff of white smoke within a second after connecting the battery.

Can, make sure the Lipo can take the combined amp draw from both motors.

Comment

Not over powering the RX. This is to prevent the two ESC from killing each other as both are trying to supply power to the RX at the same time. You will see the magical orange glow follow by puff of white smoke within a second after connecting the battery.

Can, make sure the Lipo can take the combined amp draw from both motors.
                        ic.

how to see? by the discharge rate of the lipo?

Comment

hi jasonfinn ,

Just to share , mine setup was on two 3200 kv BL motor and two 25 amps esc . I got all mine electronics from JetHobby , mok help me with the wire removing and soldering as i also got no idea abt that . For hassle free , u might wants to seek his help . Actally i crashed mine already , but i find it to be a good EDF plane so i will build one more since i already have the electronics . Hope it helps .

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cheomech View Post
                            hi jasonfinn ,

Just to share , mine setup was on two 3200 kv BL motor and two 25 amps esc . I got all mine electronics from JetHobby , mok help me with the wire removing and soldering as i also got no idea abt that . For hassle free , u might wants to seek his help . Actally i crashed mine already , but i find it to be a good EDF plane so i will build one more since i already have the electronics . Hope it helps .

Cheers
                            Hi Cheo,

Great to see u here. Too bad i din see this plane in action b4

Btw
                            1. Wat EDF fan r u using?
                            2. May I know which are the BL motors u used?
                            3. R u using 2 or 1 lipo?

Comment

ic.

how to see? by the discharge rate of the lipo?
                              How to tell amps draw of a power system, I can only think of the following ways;
                              1. Check data sheets of the EDF and motor, may have some indications.
                              2. Look for tested results on the web, maybe someone out there with the same setup.
                              3. Get the stuff; EDF, motor, ESC, Watt meter (can borrow from friends at the ff), Lipo. Hock it up and run it to get the amp draw.

Once you have the amp draw, than decide what lipo pack can support the power system.

There are two setup mention above, both suggesting 25A ESC which total to 50A. You can either get one pack or two or more packs in parallel, to meet the amp draw.

The key here, as always, is balancing; including the c.g. of the whole plane.

Comment

Working...
                              X