Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugi -My single EDF converted unit

Hi, my single EDF Mugi have two strange flying characteristics:-

1) Plane cannot be hand launch at max power, will yaw left to right. The only way to launch this single EDF Mugi is to launch and half power, let the plane gain speed then apply full power plane tthen the plane will yaw left to right but will.... see item2.

2) During flight at max power ,plane will climb at max power without any input to the elevon. Tried to adjust C.G from 215mm, 220mm and 225mm from apex or increase down thrust of the EDF(when view from the exhaust port.) does not work.

The twin EDF does not have these two problem it tracks straight and level after I relocated the c.g approx 225mm from the apex.

Any idea why the single EDF Mugi behave this way?

Cheers

B5

Comment

Sorry for the spellinhg error re-post again

1) Plane cannot be hand launch at max power, will yaw left to right. The only way to launch this single EDF Mugi is to launch at half power, let the plane gain speed then apply full power plane then the plane will not yaw left to right but will.... see item2.

2) During flight, at max power ,plane will climb without any input to the elevon. Tried to adjust C.G from 215mm, 220mm and 225mm from apex or increase down thrust of the EDF(when view from the exhaust port.) does not work.

The twin EDF does not have these two problem it tracks straight and level after I relocated the c.g approx 225mm from the apex.

Cheers

B5

Babylon5
      View Public Profile
      Send a private message to Babylon5
      Find More Posts by Babylon5
      Add Babylon5 to Your Buddy List

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5

1) Plane cannot be hand launch at max power, will yaw left to right. The only way to launch this single EDF Mugi is to launch and half power, let the plane gain speed then apply full power plane tthen the plane will yaw left to right but will.... see item2.

2) During flight at max power ,plane will climb at max power without any input to the elevon. Tried to adjust C.G from 215mm, 220mm and 225mm from apex or increase down thrust of the EDF(when view from the exhaust port.) does not work.

Cheers

B5
        I don't know about the yawing motions; perhaps there is something with your vert stabilizers.

But as for item 2; you may need to check if your wing is curved slightly.

I think mine is; so its an error in construction. It curves gently upward (e.g. 1-2 degrees) so I always end up going up at full throttle. Can be managed; just some mixes!

By the way my EDF mugi is converted to propellor version, because a bad crash decommed the EDF unit. But on prop its much faster now.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

DIY Mugi Glue question

Hi, anyone know a good glue for the C.P. materials?
          Apparently the standard UHU or the silicon base Art Select glue does not glue the C.P. material well.

Thank you in advance

Cheers
          B5

Comment

Hi, anyone know a good glue for the C.P. materials?
            Apparently the standard UHU or the silicon base Art Select glue does not glue the C.P. material well.

Thank you in advance

Cheers
            B5
            i use hot melt glue and 2 part epoxy, works well.

Comment

I normally use the glue from normal stores, it costs about 1.50 per tube. Its called Yamayo contact cement. White black and yellow packaging. Very good for mini mugi repairs, but have to wait for 10 mins for the glue to dry, then stick em together.

Nowadays I also use 3M double sided foam tape to tape my coroplast wings together. It's faster.
              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I use hot glue gun to do the internal part of the dazi wing, Though its less stronger then epoxy, the drying time is really quick and reasonably strong. Cheap too! $1.5 for 12sticks of mini hot glue sticks.

I'll still use scotch tape for the trailing and leading edge because it sticks really good with the surface. If i glue the 2 surface together, overnight i'll find the 2 pieces seperated 1-2cm apart.

I once applied artselect on the wing. Strong, only after 20hours+ , I prefer hotglue 1min+

Ok, as for the climbing problem when more power is added.. i'm also having that problem. well, i can't figure out too. My mirage dosen't have this problem though..., it tracked straight even if i full throttle. Probably it is because its a delta wing?
                Build it
                Fly it
                Crash it
                Fix it

Comment

You have to clean your coroplast to rid it of the factory by product. There is usually a thin coat of something which makes gluing less effective.

I normally sand the area I want to glue, use a lighter to flash the area, wash it with soap, let dry and glue. Lasted me 4 years, the giant mugi is actually 2 big coroplast left right wing put together. Never had an issue.

AND on the climb on power issue, let me just say it for the dun know how many times again. It is not due to it being a delta wing or whatsoever, just do a CG check and adjust till you get a axial and as near to neutral CG as you can find, then check your thrust angle and adjust. With that done, you will have a nice tracking mugi that flies on the rail. If it is not, you are doing something wrong.
                  Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

I sand and use a box cutter to rough up the CP surface before gluing . Inspite of this process ,those glue does not hold well.

Am now buillding a Mugi with 0.9m wing span version with a twin EDF set.
                    Will see how it goes, but I need to solve this gluing problem.
                    Will get the Yamayo contact glue and try out this weekends.

Cheers

Comment

I sand and use a box cutter to rough up the CP surface before gluing . Inspite of this process ,those glue does not hold well.

Am now buillding a Mugi with 0.9m wing span version with a twin EDF set.
                      Will see how it goes, but I need to solve this gluing problem.
                      Will get the Yamayo contact glue and try out this weekends.

Cheers
                      Flash with lighter first, then sand, then wash with soap and dry. Then glue. I think the best glue I tried was those for shoe. Epoxy ones you will need some reinforcing tape (I used light but HD duct tape), seal those corners or you will cry cleaning them flutes when you land in puddled water unintentionally. Mud plus water really make coroplast ugly.
                      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Hi Ed, you mean flash=you lightly burn the CP(area where glue is to be apply ) with a lighter then scrub with soap.
                        Is that correct?

Cheers

Comment

Mugi Single EDF problem

Hi, in my post#92 I mentioned I could not hand launch the single EDF Mugi properly at full power as the plane will yaw wildly from left to right.
                          Well I found (at least I think) is the cause.
                          Apparently the vertical fin of the single EDF version is located too far back. I re-check the vertical fin location against the original Mugi plan and the fin should be located further forward.

The re-tested flight was a bit scary. Apparently the re-location of the vertical Fin has upset my elevon previous setting and the plane flew wildly.
                          I have to re-set and retrimmed the elevon.

Finally the plane can be launched at max power. There is still a slight yaw but manageable.

At neutral , the elevon is nearly level with the main wing.
                          When power up ,the plane has a tendencies to climb out and like Sunstorm has pointed out, could be due to the slight curvature of the under belly of the delta shape wing Mugi .

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm
                            I normally use the glue from normal stores, it costs about 1.50 per tube. Its called Yamayo contact cement. White black and yellow packaging. Very good for mini mugi repairs, but have to wait for 10 mins for the glue to dry, then stick em together.

Nowadays I also use 3M double sided foam tape to tape my coroplast wings together. It's faster.
                            Hi Yesterday I went to look for the yamayo glue at Popular Book , NTUC & DIY.It seem this glue is rather elusive .The stores don't carry this particular glue.

Where do you guys get the glue from?

Cheers

Comment

normal provision and hardware stores.....

Comment

Hi Sunstorm, will look for the glue tonight. Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                                X