Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD Hawk Building thread

Let's start the AMD Hawk discussions here.

Planned power setup for my Hawk: Ramtec Fan with OS91 Engine.

AMD Hawk Building thread

Have you start building it?

Comment

Yes I have started and already lost all my hair over it (yes I pulled it out....). This must be the worst copy of an AMD Hawk ever

First problems:
      - Aileron Servo cut outs are to big - Result: need to build my own covers
      - Aileron Servo hatch have no mounting blocks for the cover - Result: had to fix some myself
      - Standard servos don't fit into the aileron hatch - they are to thick. I used my dremel to remove enough of the sheeting at the bottom of the hatch to fit fit them (not much material left between servo and covering now)
      - The servo mount for elevator and ruder servo is missing. Just a big empty space below the rudder. I guess I need to build them myself. I will also relocate the rudder servo into the fin for more direct control of the rudder.

I also found that the small fin for the engine hatch lock is missing. Is this missing from all kits ?

Now that the wing is finished and I'm waiting for my retracts to arrive I'm installing the engine followed by the rudder and elevators.

Comment

Will it be over powered with 90 size engine since recommedation is 46 size?
        Where did you buy this kit?

Comment

I sure hope it will be overpowered You can never have enough power in a ducted fan plane. There was a onetime mass order of this plane.

Seriously the quality is bad and parts are missing. If you want to buy one go for a AMD kit, not a clone.

I test fitted the duct yesterday - pushed it all the way in. The duct got stuck in the last former (they are a bit sticky). When I removed the duct and pulled it out forward the complete former went with it. Now I have to reglue all formers in the plane. The glue the factory used is very bad. Chewing gum would stick better.

Comment

this month's RC Jet magazine mentioned about AMD Hawk Electric conversion.

worth take a look.

Comment

Yes I'm reading it at the moment......my glow version is cheaper at the moment as I have all the stuff already Maybe in the future. Or maybe a turbine version.

Comment

How Much you pay for it?
                Your choice of fan is good,lots of power. Just check your CG carefully before flight.

Comment

I bought it for around 480S$ or so.
                  I just finished laminating the duct cover yesterday.

The original fan is a bit smaller so I had to cut the duct open and extend it a bit.
                  As there was no engine cover in the box to close the gap between engine and duct I just started laminating it yesterday.

Slowly it starts to look like a plane

Comment

Hi Bro

Any pictures of the Hawk in construction to share? It will be great if you have wonderful tips to improve the construction aspect.

Comment

I will post some later !

Comment

Hi Eric, I have read your build so far I feel inclined to leave my in the box!!, is it really that bad? It sure makes you think twice about either a turbine conversion or even an electron powered version from an investment point of view. Mine is buried under a pile stuff in my office come workshop is the wing a balsa wing or is a foam wing?

The reason I ask is that the original AMD Hawks had foam wings as far as I can recollect (I could be wrong on this). I have to finish a few other projects first and then I can attack this coffin under my desk.

The conversion that was described in the RC Jet magazine it looked a very nice kit perhaps this a clone as you have suggested or 2nd from the production line.?

I look forward to seeing some photo's of the build and associated horrors..

Comment

Hi Dennis,

The wings are built up balsa. The wings are joined with a ply spar (not aluminium tube). The flap servos are mounted on top of the wing. There are no servo hatches at the bottom of the wing as it is the case with the new AMD Hawk version.

It always depends what you expect. I expected an AMD Hawk.
                          What I got was a clone with only average quality.

The colors are not the same as of the AMD Hawk (check the rudder and you will see that it is red, not blue. Check the elevator linkage and you will see that the parts are of lower quality.
                          Parts are missing such as: the hatch lock, engine duct cover, servo hatch, servo mounts under the rudder, decals.......

All formers are glued with something that feels like chewing gum. Every glue line is sticky when you touch it.
                          But this also has its good sides: In order to fit the OS91 I had to shift the engine mount upwards by 6mm. I just pulled on the mount and it came clean out of the fuselage (hint make sure you re-glue them before you mount your turbine ).

Once I'm happy with the fit of all parts I will re-glue all formers in the plane.

The engine duct cover is now ready and I will trial fit the engine in the plane tomorrow (probably). Once this is done the rudder and elevator servo will be fitted (I use a rudder servo with direct linkage inside the rudder).

BTW, Has anyone an idea where I can get heavy duty ball link push rods? I want to use them for the elevator control.

Sorry about the pictures. To late now! Will post some tomorrow.

P.S. No excuses. Start building it. Put a glow DF inside and try it out first. Upgrade to turbine can always be done later.

Comment

Hi Eric, thanks for all that information just need to finish my turbine Baby Boomerang turbine trainer and you could have twisted my arm to open the box. When you asked about heavy duty ball joints how about 4-40 Du-Bro ones they are big and strong?, depending upon the length of the rod you could either use a 4-40 threaded rod or Sullivan do a pack of various lengths 4-40 threaded rods NTC have all these.

Comment

I will check it out ! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X