Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Styro F16 Falcon

Hi guys,

I just got my first DF jet, Flying Styro F16 from RC warbirds and need advise on the power setup.

Tested the stock Wemotec mini fan 50mm using Himax 2025-4200 and it drawn only 7A on 3s.

Please comment if this power setup is suitable for the jet. Will it be fast?

Thanks.
    LEE

Hello Lee,

For the Himax 2025-4200 you better use a 4S LiPo pack. The Himax 2025-5300 would be good for your 3S LiPo.
    Another alternative would be a motor from the Hacker B20 series (maybe a 12L).

Some guys are flying theirs with other motors. I will check with them and let you know.

BTW, For the F-16 it is important that you get the thrust line straight. The exhaust duct should be as parallel to the planes center line as possible to avoid trim problems during power flight.

Comment

Thanks Eric.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

First feedback:

- Tamazo 5300kv (201554)
        Quite powerful but also very hot,
        Not recommended as it gets very hot on 3S (melted an alpha fan before)

- Hacker B20 12L (8.5 - 11A)
        Powerful motor on 3S
        Recommended by WeMoTec and Hacker for the Micro Fan

- Himax 2025-5300 (22A)
        Powerful motor on 3S
        Suitable for the Micro Fan

A sleve can be used for the micro fan to fit perfectly:
        RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

- Himax 2025-4200
        Powerful motor on 4S

- Hyperion 5000Kv Y22S
        Powerful motor on 3S

- Hyperion 5000Kv Y22L
        Powerful motor on 4S

This chart is from Hacker and shows the B20 12 L combinations.

Comment

Hi Lee, welcome to the "Duct Side" moons ago I had a FS F-16 and did a lot of research on the model. A chap called Tres Wright had the most successful solution, the key being keep the weight down in the nose where the packs go. He used 340mA 20C packs small and very light otherwisewhen you return to Mother Earth the nose will depart, I had exactly that experience. There are various ways of building the model you can go for taileron control as per the destructions or modify the wings for ailerons but still keep 2 x servos for the elevators.

To get any sort of performance the cheater holes as recommend are far two small you need one big one on the bottom, I know it sounds terrible but once the bird is up in the blue yonder you will not see it.

This reply is going to get disjointed now so please forgive me, as I need to search my archives for all the information for you. However here is a dailogue that I had with Tres when I was building mine.

=1. width of your ailerons..=

They're 47 mm at the root and 24 mm at the tip, I basically followed the molded in line on the wing but extended them the full width of the wing.

=2. Can you advise the size of cheater hole and the distance from the rear of the fuselage.=

This is a little tricky because I cut off the "cone" from the rear of the fuse. So I'll go from the protrusions on each side, from those the hole starts 92 mm forward. The hole is big, it's 90 mm front-to-back with a curved cut on the front.

=3. The servo access hatch=

Again from the tabs, 205 mm. 102 mm front-to-back. I followed molded in lines for that cut too.

4. You mentioned in your thread that you were using 3 x 680 Kokams, who was the supplier of these..?

http://www.b-p-p.com/KokamSHCpacks.htm They're actually 340 cells, but they're assembled in a 3s2p arrangement and called "680 packs". I think he's out of stock right now.

==5. Did you do any of strengthening of the fuselage using ribbed tape..?==

No I didn't. As light as it is, I didn't feel it was needed on mine. These guys that break the noses off are sticking 6 ounce packs up there. My 680 packs are 2.2 oz.!

Part 2 when I have found he data.....

Comment

Before I go a hunting Tres myself both used MicroFans same reason weight...

Comment

Here we go here is the colateral...., read the first one first OK..!

building fs f16 .Would like to know thrust/amp draw on vasa55/razor2500/3s li/pos? Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk

Now that should busy for quite a few nights.

There is so much information on this popular EDF here you will need to make notes where find information that you need to refer to.

Correction the EDF I used was a Astro WeMoTec MicroFan which comes with a Astro 010 8T motor.

Give me ten and I will see what else I can find to help you.

Comment

Here are some pictures of my F-16, no I did not do the first flight that is my EK B777 Captain friend.

Comment

One important thing which is tricky to get correct is the motor and thrust alignment, you need no down / up or side thrust.

Happy building and hope have great flights with this bird.

Comment

One more thing which is very important if you sue a MicroFan for the you must make a intake lip for the fan, you see this decribed in one of the links. If you decide not too bother your thrust coul be reduced by as much as 30%...

Comment

There is an article on the Flying Styro F-16, including 7 steps to install a EDF fan, in the July Issue of the Backyard Flyer Magazine.

The summary:
                      The Flying Styro provides about 6 minutes (used an 1100mAh NiMh) of screaming ducted-fan fun. The highly detailed model looks and sounds very realistic on a full-power, low-level pass. It handles well and landings are easy. The only thing missing is the smell of jet fuel!

Gear used:
                      Radio: Hitec Neon 3-SS, Hitec Micro 05 receiver, Hitec HS-55 servos (2)
                      Drive system: VASA-55 ducted fan, Simprop Acro Speed 280BB motor, Jeti 12A ESC
                      Battery: Hobby Lobby 1100mAh NiMh

As you can see it already gives good performance with a brush motor and normal NiMh batteries. Brushless with Lipos

Please PM me if you are interested in the 1 page building article.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the great info but it's all over.

I maiden it yesterday and crashed after 6 launches.

This jet really screamed with the himax 2025-5300 and too bad, not able to experience the speed as every launch lasted about 10 sec.

The line of thrust is indeed the most critical factor and it really depend on how well u align the exhaust cone . The jet crashed on the last launch with too much right and down thrust.

Eric> For the mini 480 fan, may you advise why no one uses inrunner like the himax 2035-5300? I thought of using this motor for my next SF Firebird.

Regards,
                        LEE

Comment

OMG Lee so sorry to hear of the demise of your Falcon, as you sadly found out the thrust line is critical with this bird I made a jig for mine spent more time making the jig than the plane and still had problems. But once frying it sure looks great.

Comment

Eric, is that hand launch?

Originally posted by Warbird
                            There is an article on the Flying Styro F-16, including 7 steps to install a EDF fan, in the July Issue of the Backyard Flyer Magazine.

The summary:
                            The Flying Styro provides about 6 minutes (used an 1100mAh NiMh) of screaming ducted-fan fun. The highly detailed model looks and sounds very realistic on a full-power, low-level pass. It handles well and landings are easy. The only thing missing is the smell of jet fuel!

Gear used:
                            Radio: Hitec Neon 3-SS, Hitec Micro 05 receiver, Hitec HS-55 servos (2)
                            Drive system: VASA-55 ducted fan, Simprop Acro Speed 280BB motor, Jeti 12A ESC
                            Battery: Hobby Lobby 1100mAh NiMh

As you can see it already gives good performance with a brush motor and normal NiMh batteries. Brushless with Lipos

Please PM me if you are interested in the 1 page building article.

Comment

Lee,
                              I use inrunner (6yrs old Kontronik) on my Kyosho F-16 with mini fan 480. on 3S, it fly so well, tried once with 4S, wow... almost lost control.. still trying to figure out why, may be just my skill.

Originally posted by Lee
                              Hi guys, thanks for the great info but it's all over.

I maiden it yesterday and crashed after 6 launches.

This jet really screamed with the himax 2025-5300 and too bad, not able to experience the speed as every launch lasted about 10 sec.

The line of thrust is indeed the most critical factor and it really depend on how well u align the exhaust cone . The jet crashed on the last launch with too much right and down thrust.

Eric> For the mini 480 fan, may you advise why no one uses inrunner like the himax 2035-5300? I thought of using this motor for my next SF Firebird.

Regards,
                              LEE

Comment

Working...
                              X