Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50" lear 45 twin edf 55

Hi gentlemen, just like to share my latest project. It a foam Lear 45 scratch built. all scale except enlarged wings.

Approx. AUW 30 OZ
    wing loading 15 oz/sq ft (a little) heavyy!!
    wing span 50"
    powerplant himax 2015 5300kv 2s 4000 or 3s 2200

would appreciate input being my first edf. Especially on the powerplant.

Cheers

Hi Vortices, nice plane you got. Great job man.

EDF need high power motor above 180 watts per fan.
    Need Lipo at least 3 S (3 cells) or more. 2 cells not enough power.
    Since you plane is 30 OZ you need at least 300watts or more for your set up
    better in the 400watts range for a safer margin.

Most 55mm EDF design for brushless motor setup should be able to do the Job provided you match the motor and fan unit and made sure you don't drive the motor beyond its current limit....and again whether fan will fit your plane
    55MM EDF need around 130 to 200 watts for decent thrust and the motor weights around the 58-65gm (which will indicate a more powderful magnet and coil setup in the motor...another words power)

This is just a guide.

You may need to get a clamp on ammeter or a power monitor meter which is available at the local Hobby shop to measure your setup and don't forget the C.G of your plane.

Babylon5

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention you need 2 set of the 55mm EDF for twin setup,2 matching ESC and matching motors.
      By the way may I ask if you have experience in twin EDF setup it is more complicating than a single..

Originally posted by Babylon5
      Hi Vortices, nice plane you got. Great job man.

EDF need high power motor above 180 watts per fan.
      Need Lipo at least 3 S (3 cells) or more. 2 cells not enough power.
      Since you plane is 30 OZ you need at least 300watts or more for your set up
      better in the 400watts range for a safer margin.

Most 55mm EDF design for brushless motor setup should be able to do the Job provided you match the motor and fan unit and made sure you don't drive the motor beyond its current limit....and again whether fan will fit your plane
      55MM EDF need around 130 to 200 watts for decent thrust and the motor weights around the 58-65gm (which will indicate a more powderful magnet and coil setup in the motor...another words power)

This is just a guide.

You may need to get a clamp on ammeter or a power monitor meter which is available at the local Hobby shop to measure your setup and don't forget the C.G of your plane.

Babylon5

Comment

Originally posted by Vortices
        Hi gentlemen, just like to share my latest project. It a foam Lear 45 scratch built. all scale except enlarged wings.

Approx. AUW 30 OZ
        wing loading 15 oz/sq ft (a little) heavyy!!
        wing span 50"
        powerplant himax 2015 5300kv 2s 4000 or 3s 2200

would appreciate input being my first edf. Especially on the powerplant.

Cheers
        Hi Vortices,

As you need 2 motors = current draw *2, I would recommend you either 2x WeMoTec Micro Fan with 2x HiMax 2025-3200 at 5S or if higher current is not a problem 2x HiMax 2025-4200 at 4S. The 2015-5200 or 2025-5200 setup at 2S will not be powerful enough (especially ROG) and at 3S the current will be quite high (total >50A) resulting in either a 3S2P pack or a high capacity LiPos and reduced flight times.

cheers,
        Eric

Comment

Hi Vortices
          I think Warbird's recommendation on the mirco EDF set up is a better choice.
          Anyway, Cool EDF Jet you got there..

Comment

Thanlks guys,
            Running 5s would mean an untire set of batts that is not compatible with my other planes. I will try 2025 5300 at 3s with 30a esc each. will post result.

If it doesnt work may take all guts out except flight control and make it a slope soarer. The glide test with no retracts and motor was good. did the test to find the CG earlier.

Nonetheless I will give it all it deserve. Will be painting it SQ lear 45 colors.
            Will be busy neXt 2 weeks. Will post again for any further developement.

Thanks again. Further info are welcomed.

Cheers

Comment

Hi gentlemen,

Slight update. try out himax 2025-5300 at 3s-2p. 60 a esc. sounds and feels good. going to use it. Tried 40 amp esc, it ran too hot hot even at low throttle setting. The 60 amp esc is fine even with half throttle.

For the weight problem, I split the fuse again and hollowed it out. Save 35 gm. Then now glassing it with fine glass cloth and pacer finishing resin. Just put on second coating after sanding . Stiffness and weight is good. Now all up weight is about 1050 gm with 2X 1500 3s and 1150 with 2X 2200 3s.

Retracts working fine, nose steerable retract got form NTC works like a dream. All gears actuated with same servo and steering coupled with rudder.
              Rudder/steering throw increase on ground with gear extended.

Now thinking of tapping ventury air from exhaust duct to induce cooling airflow over esc in fuselage. Just a tube running after fan into fuselage.

Will be going out station for a week. So will be quiet for a while.

Anybody with 5300kv on 3s experience, any do and donts to share?

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

Hi guys....just thought will post something just so not to dissapoint all who are following this thread.

Well for a start, it has not crash, neither has it flew. Got lazy for a while, also had quite a lot of problem with glassing styrofoam, hard to get flat surface. Anyway after about 8 session of doing and undoing, finally got it to an acceptable level. Now painting the stripes and just have the water transfer decal done at grafix house at Maude rd of jalan Besar, very pro and cost 10 dollar a piece of a4 size. they can print on clear or white. Should be able to post the finish fuselage tomorrow, This month I am rather busy untill 22may. So probably maiden end of the month or early next month.

Cheers,

maiden would be in woodlands on one of the sundays at 0830. will post once confirmed.

Comment

yes keep us updated. Maybe I can finish the F-20 in time for a double maiden :-)

Comment

Wah let me know which day you're going to maiden the learjet. Its my favourite aircraft from all of SIA/SFC's planes. Most fun to fly too

Originally posted by Vortices
                      Hi guys....just thought will post something just so not to dissapoint all who are following this thread.

Well for a start, it has not crash, neither has it flew. Got lazy for a while, also had quite a lot of problem with glassing styrofoam, hard to get flat surface. Anyway after about 8 session of doing and undoing, finally got it to an acceptable level. Now painting the stripes and just have the water transfer decal done at grafix house at Maude rd of jalan Besar, very pro and cost 10 dollar a piece of a4 size. they can print on clear or white. Should be able to post the finish fuselage tomorrow, This month I am rather busy untill 22may. So probably maiden end of the month or early next month.

Cheers,

maiden would be in woodlands on one of the sundays at 0830. will post once confirmed.
                      F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
                      F5D Stratair Demon
                      F5D Jibe
                      Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
                      Voodoo S400
                      Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
                      La Racer 56

Comment

Bro...you 345? where do you fly? I think we have to start a semi official non official group...pool resourses...

Cheers

Comment

HI! Vortices,

Very nice Learjet45 you got there, can share with us the drawing plan I am looking for Learjet plan also but just can't find any single one tks.

Jameswilliam.

Comment

Guys, as promised.....coming up nicely..finally. No rudder yet and engine cowlings just fitted temporarily. Now got to finish the wings. Cheers.

Note, water slide decal went on well, after the glossing, cant tell its decal. Its a little thick compared to those used for static but due to the size of rc planes, it is not perceiveable.

James...its my own design, I do have the drawings. Its hard copy though. Its foam fuse and wings with flaperons. You are more than welcome to have a copy. Mind you its not proven yet, this is the prototype.

Comment

Wow... Nice plane, paint job and Decal. I like it. Wonder when will you be maiden this LearJet. I will do refuelling for you.... Oops.... It run on Battery.

Comment

Working...
                              X