X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vertical take off

V ^^ V

hi allz...

is it possible to make a ducted fan rc plane do vertical take off...

and later still fly????

any info will be much appreciated...thx in advance...

V ^^ V
    Stay happy and live life laughing.... V ^^ V
    You have only so many years.... V ^^ V
    so ENJOY IT!!!!! V ^^ V

I had a PLAN which I bought many years back. Its designed with around a 40 size ducted fan unit. It will does vertical take off and landing ( VTOL )

If you are interested, I can give you the PLAN ... u just need the time to build it. Electric VTOL? I had not found one... let me know if you have

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Mike's master piece.

Comment

There are quite a few people who are trying to construct vertical or at least STOL EDF Jets.
        Possible but not cheap and easy due to:
        • Stability issues - might require a autopilot or similar.
        • Thrust / weight ratio - vertical take off requires a thrust to weight ratio of more then 1. What makes it even more complicated is the transition from vertical to forward flight as even higher trust is required during the transition (vertical lift + forward acceleration until the wings can carry the plane)
        • EDF configuration - multiple rotating fans would make things easier but increase weight - one fan with multiple outlets would reduce weight but looses thrust/efficiency due to the ducting.

First attempts for jet powered vertical takeoff (still uses small prop's at the wings to stabilize the plane): http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/movi...ets_2002_sm.WMV

A Harrier Jump Jet Project with customized turbine:

More info and videos: http://cpl.usc.edu/eschuste/

I think one of the first guys to try to build a EDF Harrier was Dirk Juras. (EZONE):
        At Aspach '97 he flew his scratch-built Harrier STOL powered by four Robbe Rojets with Speed 480 Race motors and 10 x 1700SCRC cells. The thrust nozzles swiveled only 40 degrees and with a static thrust to weight ratio of 1:2 it couldn‘t come close to hovering. Nonetheless, the nozzle deflection considerably shortened the takeoff roll.

Try to search for him on the net maybe you can find some additional info.

It can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
          I had a PLAN which I bought many years back. Its designed with around a 40 size ducted fan unit. It will does vertical take off and landing ( VTOL )

If you are interested, I can give you the PLAN ... u just need the time to build it. Electric VTOL? I had not found one... let me know if you have

Cheers

Mike
          V ^^ V

iszit possible that i have a look at the plans....

itchy hand...wanna try smt new...

V ^^ V
          so ENJOY IT!!!!! V ^^ V

Comment

I will take the entire copy for u the next time I went back mum's place for dinner.

Will let u know

Mike

Comment

V ^^ V

kkz...

thx alot man...

V ^^ V
              so ENJOY IT!!!!! V ^^ V

Comment

EDF vertical take off

Wow, I bet you need a ear muffler with at least 60dBA of attenuation
                with this baby at full bore.

I love to see a working VTOL.

Cheers
                Babylon5

Originally posted by Warbird
                There are quite a few people who are trying to construct vertical or at least STOL EDF Jets.
                Possible but not cheap and easy due to:
                • Stability issues - might require a autopilot or similar.
                • Thrust / weight ratio - vertical take off requires a thrust to weight ratio of more then 1. What makes it even more complicated is the transition from vertical to forward flight as even higher trust is required during the transition (vertical lift + forward acceleration until the wings can carry the plane)
                • EDF configuration - multiple rotating fans would make things easier but increase weight - one fan with multiple outlets would reduce weight but looses thrust/efficiency due to the ducting.

First attempts for jet powered vertical takeoff (still uses small prop's at the wings to stabilize the plane): http://www.corpcomp.com/weeks1/movi...ets_2002_sm.WMV

A Harrier Jump Jet Project with customized turbine:

More info and videos: http://cpl.usc.edu/eschuste/

I think one of the first guys to try to build a EDF Harrier was Dirk Juras. (EZONE):
                At Aspach '97 he flew his scratch-built Harrier STOL powered by four Robbe Rojets with Speed 480 Race motors and 10 x 1700SCRC cells. The thrust nozzles swiveled only 40 degrees and with a static thrust to weight ratio of 1:2 it couldn‘t come close to hovering. Nonetheless, the nozzle deflection considerably shortened the takeoff roll.

Try to search for him on the net maybe you can find some additional info.

It can be done.

Comment

4 fans
                  This may work...

All CRASHED...

Comment

wah lan eh...the carbon work on that pegasus is awesome...
                    JR 9x
                    Raptor 50 SE
                    Raptor 90 3D
                    Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
                    Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
                    Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

prob you wanna look at how the X-35 does its VTOL with a rotating tail engine and a fuselage that opens up...

If we do up something using depron it might just work?

stability issues ... i guess is not so easy to remove... but just to have a vertical take off and quick fly away... that may be possible...

Comment

Working...
                      X