Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie needs help in gas plane or electric plane

Hie everybody....i need ur advise as to whether a gas nitro plane or electric plane for a brand newbie???as in need of mentor and still reading and learning,any guidance will b appreciated...

Originally posted by Ramadhan View Post
    Hie everybody....i need ur advise as to whether a gas nitro plane or electric plane for a brand newbie???as in need of mentor and still reading and learning,any guidance will b appreciated...
    That depends.

Where are you going to fly?

Are you learning alone or will someone be helping you?

Do you have any equipment now?

What is your budget?

Will noise be a problem?

How much space do you have for flying?

If you are going to join a club and work with their instructors, then follow their lead.

If you are trying to learn on your own, I would recommend an electric Ready to fly package. They can be relatively inexpensive. They are fairly quiet so you are less likely to get complaints. And they don't get covered in fuel residue or smell of fuel.

When I recommend starter planes for pilots who are self training, I have one and only one criteria, and that is to provide the greatest opportunity to succeed. When full scale pilots learn to fly they don't start in jets. They go into sims and then they go into Piper Cubs, Sessna's or the like.

Now, I am sure that you will find someone who said his first plane was a ducted fan jet and he learned how to fly it in 5 minutes and was doing full pattern flying by the end of the day and is entering the national championships after 2 months. If you are him, go for it.

But I was a bumbling fool who made every mistake possible, which is the source of much of the writing I have done for new pilots. All I care about is that you will have the absolute best chance of getting that first plane into the air, keeping it there without losing it, and getting it down safely without wrecking it beyond repair. I don't care about aerobatics or cool looks or any of that stuff. I care about basic flying success and that is it.

So the planes I recommend are those that have given new pilots the greatest opportunity to succeed despite their over control, bumbling, ignoring advice, violating the Six Keys to Success and all. They can still fail with the planes I recommend but they are going to have to work at it. There are surely others, but these are the ones that have my 100% endorsement.

So, based on that understanding I recommend RTFs of known character that are well built and well matched to the goal at hand, getting that newbie to a level of success as fast as possible. And they have to have spare parts available and they have to be SOOOO easy to repair. These qualify.

Firebird Stratos RTF

HobbyZone Super Cub RTF

Hitec Sky Scout RTF

If you want to get into gliders and soaring then I recommend the Radian

With these RTFs, all variables are removed. Nothing to know about servos, CG, receivers, radios, etc. Read the instructions, follow the Six keys to Success and some advice from me.

That is the basis of my recommendations. Naturally, your smileage will vary

Comment

Working...
    X