Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laser Cutting service in Singapore?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of designing a plane in CAD and am hoping to have it laser cut when done. Could anyone recommend a laser cutting service in Singapore (or Malaysia) who would be willing to perform small volume laser cutting?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jeff
    All electric all the time!

Re: Laser cutting svc

Hi Jeff,

Maybe I can help you out, my company has a laser machine and can do small volume cutting. If you interested, you can email what you wanna cut to this email add: p2design@yahoo.com

Rgds
    Ryo

Comment

Ryo,

Thanks for replying. Could you let me know what thickness and size you can cut? I'm looking at 1/8" (3mm) balsa and ply. I think standard size for balsa is 4" x 36", not too sure about ply (maybe 12" x 24").

Also do you have an office address and phone no. for your laser cutting service? If you provide details here perhaps others who need laser cutting done can also contact you but if info is sensitive please PM to me.

Sorry for the naive questions as although I'm a technical person this would be my first laser cutting attempt.

Thanks.

Regards,
      Jeff

Comment

Laser Cutting Svc

Hi Jeff,

The machine can cut up to 5mm thickness and size of 12inch by 24inch. It can cut balsa, basswood, plywood, acrylic, cardboard, etc...

Hope the following won't confuse u...
        different materials and thickness will have different offset values after cutting, meaning after cutting, the cut-out parts will be slightly smaller than the artwork, so you'll need to do some adjustments to your artwork before you send for cutting.

btw, our office is at bencoolen street. feel free to post any questions, glad to be of help

cheers
        Ryo

Comment

Hi Ryo. It would be good if you can give us a feel of what's the price like for the laser cutting. Whats the requirement that you need in order to do the cutting?
          If the building stops, the buying starts!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo
            different materials and thickness will have different offset values after cutting, meaning after cutting, the cut-out parts will be slightly smaller than the artwork, so you'll need to do some adjustments to your artwork before you send for cutting.
            I believe you're talking about the "kerf" caused by material burnt away during cutting. We would need to discuss that and your other design rules before we start cutting.

Would you be able to source wood? That would save cost of my having wood sent to me and then sent to you. I hope we can work out an arrangement where I send you files and you send me the finished wood sheets in a bundle.

Regards,
            Jeff

Comment

Laser Cutting Svc

Hi all,

Basically for vector laser cutting, we accept files extensions mainly like dwg (autocad2000), cdr (corel version10), eps... as long it can be imported by our program without affecting the dimensions would be fine.

For drawing, do draw thin lines or hairlines for cut, and arrange parts into boxes of size 300mm by 600mm (12" by 24") that are to be cut on same material. Usually we use different layers of colours to represent cut and engrave, normally is red for cut and yellow for engrave. And do remove unnecessary lines before sending. TIPS: For autocad dwgs, polyline for continous line, can save a lot of cutting time.

As for cutting charges, we charge by time frame, that is a dollar per minute. Minimum charge is $20.

For common materials like acrylic, balsa, basswood, we do have some stock for them. Unless we cannot source the material that you wanted to use, we can supply the materials at a good rate.

Something to note is that there are certain materials that the laser cannot cut, that is, PVC, vinyl, metal, polycarbonate, carbon fibre. But our CNC engraver can cut these materials.

oops, am i talking like an old lady...

Usually for first timers, we would advise them to do some sample cutting so that they can adjust their drawing accordingly before sending the whole lot, much safer.

hope I answered most of your queries

anyway, do post if there's anymore.

cheers
              Ryo

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo
                Basically for vector laser cutting, we accept files extensions mainly like dwg (autocad2000), cdr (corel version10), eps... as long it can be imported by our program without affecting the dimensions would be fine.
                For common materials like acrylic, balsa, basswood, we do have some stock for them. Unless we cannot source the material that you wanted to use, we can supply the materials at a good rate.
                Usually for first timers, we would advise them to do some sample cutting so that they can adjust their drawing accordingly before sending the whole lot, much safer.

hope I answered most of your queries
                Ryo,

Again thanks for your reply. I think we're making good progress in firming up design requirements to enable us to send you files and getting back wood, etc in the form we need.

I would most probably send you files as DXF. I hope that's acceptable. Good to know you can supply wood as that definitely makes the project more viable.

Also good to know the sort of lines we should use when designing. One of the things that worry me is that I might be using lines which are totally unsuitable and end up with a completely unusable CAD file and have to start over again.

Your suggestion for sample cuts is a good idea too. I'll probably send you a couple of panels of ribs to start things off. Will need a bit of time to prepare as I will be going overseas for a few weeks.

Regards,
                Jeff

Comment

Laser Cutting Svc

Hi Jeff

No prob, just drop us a email when u're ready. Do start with a sample so we can sort out unforseen porblems.

cheers
                  Ryo

Comment

Almost ready

Hi Ryo,

It's been a while but I'm almost done with my initial design to be sent for a sample cut. CAD work is a bit more tedious than I thought it would be.

Could you let me know how we should proceed?

Thanks.

Regards,
                    Jeff

Comment

Cutting

Hi Jeff

sorrrry for the late reply

perhaps u can send me the cad file (ver 2000/LT97) of the original measurements for some sample parts, so i can do a sample cutting and let you know what's the kerf. and then we can work out the details step by step. how's that?

cheers
                      Ryo

Comment

Hi Ryo,

Thanks for the reply and PMs. Have just sent you a PM in reply.

Jeff

Comment

hey do you also work with .DXF?

Comment

Laser Cutting

Originally posted by yorbenator
                            hey do you also work with .DXF?
                            ya dxf files also can, as long it can be opened with acad programs.

cheers
                            Ryo

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo
                              ya dxf files also can, as long it can be opened with acad programs.

cheers
                              Ryo
                              i use with turbocad

Comment

Working...
                              X