Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some qns about homebrew CNC ..

hi ..

first off, i would like to say i am totally new to CNC, electronics and CAD. that being said, i have read with great interest on building a homebrew CNC.. my main use, if i do start of doing it, will be fore wood/acrylic engraving and if possible, routing..

after surfing the net, i have seen one design in particular which I presume, is relatively easy to build in terms of frame/structure, and that is the Lumenlabs micRo V3.

Using the micRo V3 kit as reference, the structure seems to be alu plate and delrin blocks. I am intending to probably start of with a wooden base and MDF (in place of delrin) for most of the structure. I gather that the lead screw is basically a long threaded bar, and I believe a few hardware shops around my area have this. The support bar running parallel to the lead screw will be a cylindrical rod. Bearings, I can get it from Kian Ho HQ which is near my office. The initial tool used in the set up will be a Dremel 200 or 300, though I would probably want to change it to a proper motor, when I 'upgrade' the build..

qn : for those experienced peeps out there, is the build/structure workable?

I foresee that the main problem I have is in the stepper motor, the motor controller and electronics (wiring up etc).. I also believe that the main cost of the build is in this portion..

qn : Should I even attempt to build one? or am I in over my head on this?

Regarding tools, I have minimal tools, other than dremels, a drill, and various dremel attachments that may not have any use in the build..

Lumemlabs micro cnc system is a interesting simple machine.

Good for general use. You probably want to count the total cost to get the machine going.

We carry Sherline and Proxxon CNC system and you can have a look at http://shop.sgtooling.com

We also have stepper motor and controller if you like to get them from us.

Come over have a look at our machine on display to have a better idea

Cheers

Mike

Comment

mike , i've been to your shop twice (the dremel 200, drill bits , proxxon router bit & step clamps)

the stepper motor and controller you mention, is it sherline set? i do see on your web that you have the nema 23 stepper motor, but i dont see any standalone controller though..

Comment

Hi Christopher,

We have both Sherline 4-Axis controller / Gecko Drive G540 4-Axis controller.

Sherline controller are simple and straight forward whereas the Gecko Drive is more versatile.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X