Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherline 5410 Test Cutting

While doing a project for JYHELI, we tried to push the Sherline machine to the max and see how thick cut it can take http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55511

We managed 4mm / pass on Aluminium 6061 using a dia.6mm carbide endmill

Check out this video!

Enjoy, Cheers

Mike <br> <br>

Good stuff, Mike! I never have the guts to go beyond 0.5mm. But I guess at 60mm/min, it shouldn't kill anything.

So far only tried 3mm per pass on plywood

Regards,
    Wong

Comment

OT: Brass Torch

Show off a little but its an OT.

My 1st brass torch and die-holder for the tailstock made on the lathe. <br> <br>

Comment

great job.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
        Robotis Bioloid
        Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

I really hope that we can have a "club" for hobbyists machining locally. We can share ideas, learn from each other, share resources and lobang.

What do you think?

Comment

Yeah that is only possible after 2010 .... count down day

I will get hold of Dia. 10mm chipbreaker roughing endmill and do a test.

Sherline machine are on leadscrew, while they do not travel as fast as ballscrew, the torque generated should be better and can do deeper cut.

I got a set of 420mm ballscrew assembly on my work table, now waiting for the linear guide to arrive

Comment

Originally posted by HZM View Post
              Yeah that is only possible after 2010 .... count down day

I got a set of 420mm ballscrew assembly on my work table, now waiting for the linear guide to arrive
              You're quoting your day job?

Are the ballscrews for the sherline? Ballscrews are generally too big for our little machines. I've 6 pieces (or 2 sets) with fixed and floating bearings. They're 16mm in dia. Smallest I can find then within my budget.

Bought a Dorma dovetail with 12mm shank. Backside itchy want to see if I can turn it down to 10mm or smaller dia. while waiting for your shipment.

Comment

ya finally, the day is nearing, cant wait for 2011 to come ..... Good or bad, no idea yet manz.

Abt the ballscrew, its for a new machine tentatively, 300 x 250 x 250 travel .... price range S$7-9k

I made some comparison the other day, the Sherline should be able to retrofit with ballscrew at side not directly on where the current leadscrew runs.

On the dovetail, hopefully is HSS, whenever possible, use grinding instead of cutting / turning.

Good luck Trying

Comment

Managed to turn down the shank of the dovetail cutter to slightly less than 10mm. The shank is HSS. Was using HSS bit to cut. After 2 passes, it won't cut anymore. Changed to carbide insert tool. It now fits the ER16 collet nicely :-)

This is my first attempt in turning between centers using surface Plate and the dog.

Regards,
                  Wong

Comment

no point to change the thread screw to ball screw if the spindle speed is at 6000rpm. I managed to get my sherline motor changed to 50,000 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by bernielim View Post
                      no point to change the thread screw to ball screw if the spindle speed is at 6000rpm. I managed to get my sherline motor changed to 50,000 rpm
                      How do you do that?

Comment

Working...
                      X