Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice. Is it a good idea to buy cnc router from overseas?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice. Is it a good idea to buy cnc router from overseas?

CNC router engraver drilling and milling machine TIII | Business & Industrial, CNC, Metalworking & Manufacturing, Woodworking Equipment | eBay!

Like this one from ebay. Do drivers die out easily? What about the spindle motor? Anything to look out for when choosing a cnc router?

I need something that can do a workspace are of 300x400mm. Is such a cnc router available locally?

Thanks.
    Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
    Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
    Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
    Brushless Micro-T

IMO.. looking at the spec from ebay.. Can use, as a learning pad.. but don't expect it to do any real work, unless if you're skill at CNC machining.. Anyway, these kind of set up is like rojak.. like power to speed ratio don't match..

As for spindle choice.. My choice will be a Kress, very good torque and purrs like a kitten when spinning at low 10k rpm speed.. Hence, can work even at night.. Do a search.. The brand now have a 5K rpm model.. That's just a personal choice..

As for a 300 x 400 work space model.. Very expensive.. Alternate route will be to get a small one, to help you build the bigger one..

Guess a good local supply will be shirline.. but that is if you've no specific requirement between router and mill..

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz View Post
      IMO.. looking at the spec from ebay.. Can use, as a learning pad.. but don't expect it to do any real work, unless if you're skill at CNC machining.. Anyway, these kind of set up is like rojak.. like power to speed ratio don't match..

As for spindle choice.. My choice will be a Kress, very good torque and purrs like a kitten when spinning at low 10k rpm speed.. Hence, can work even at night.. Do a search.. The brand now have a 5K rpm model.. That's just a personal choice..

As for a 300 x 400 work space model.. Very expensive.. Alternate route will be to get a small one, to help you build the bigger one..

Guess a good local supply will be shirline.. but that is if you've no specific requirement between router and mill..
      Ehh Dun expect to do any real work means the accuracy is not going to be good? The leadscrew design kind of worries me though.
      Esky Dauphin
      Walkera Lama 2
      Walkera 5G6
      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

With US$930 and US$300 = US$ 1230 then u probably think twice.

I told many, you can use a small Sherline machine and build a big router of Alu profile.

For the above price, you can look into getting a Sherline CNC ready machine and buy stepper motor/driver of your own. This can be transferred over to the router later on.

Mike

Comment

Don't expect any real work "Unless if you're experience" Err.. The lead screws are not an issue.. Looking at it, it uses trapezoidal screw with nylon nut. which is good.. while accuracy will depends on what you plan to cut. Hence, you need to know how to work on the math.. Like chip load etc?? BTW. even ball screw is not necessarily better then lead screw if you don't have the right setup

Take HZM advice. Get a small sherline and pick up the knowledge from there to help you build a bigger one.. Best of all, you've got local support..

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
          Ehh Dun expect to do any real work means the accuracy is not going to be good? The leadscrew design kind of worries me though.

Comment

Just FYI, i'm looking to sell my upgraded Sherline CNC machine.
            Pictures and details at http://simplewords.genexis.net/

Comment

Originally posted by HZM View Post
              With US$930 and US$300 = US$ 1230 then u probably think twice.

I told many, you can use a small Sherline machine and build a big router of Alu profile.

For the above price, you can look into getting a Sherline CNC ready machine and buy stepper motor/driver of your own. This can be transferred over to the router later on.

Mike

I don't want to have too many machines around. Limited space. Doing mostly carbon/alu sheet cutting. Will you be bringing in cnc router in the future?
              Esky Dauphin
              Walkera Lama 2
              Walkera 5G6
              Brushless Micro-T

Comment

If it's a router that you're looking to get. Good thing to check is the motor size, as this will save you lot's of effort if it already comes mounted with nema23 size motor.. but if it's the smaller nema17 then you'll have to do the mod yourself or get the supplier to create the mount for you..

These kind of machine can work out of box. Just that, you need to do very very shallow cuts and need to work on material like 6061. while you'll have much problem on softer metal as they will tend to gum up and the cutting bit stuck and breaks.. unless if it's one of those free machining metal..

Machine structure are good, but the spindle is something you surely must change.. and don't know what kind of stepper motor it comes with, but with proper chip load calculations, it will get the job done on small parts, while you can work on heavier parts with a good spindle..

As for the driver boards. It's hidden inside, which will surely contain the very basic, without things like opto-isolaters, auto center probes, axis expansion etc. etc. which you will need. while it won't just die unless if abuse, like make it run beyond it's spec and powering it with a poor quality power supply etc..

Hope these helps..

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz View Post
                  If it's a router that you're looking to get. Good thing to check is the motor size, as this will save you lot's of effort if it already comes mounted with nema23 size motor.. but if it's the smaller nema17 then you'll have to do the mod yourself or get the supplier to create the mount for you..

These kind of machine can work out of box. Just that, you need to do very very shallow cuts and need to work on material like 6061. while you'll have much problem on softer metal as they will tend to gum up and the cutting bit stuck and breaks.. unless if it's one of those free machining metal..

Machine structure are good, but the spindle is something you surely must change.. and don't know what kind of stepper motor it comes with, but with proper chip load calculations, it will get the job done on small parts, while you can work on heavier parts with a good spindle..

As for the driver boards. It's hidden inside, which will surely contain the very basic, without things like opto-isolaters, auto center probes, axis expansion etc. etc. which you will need. while it won't just die unless if abuse, like make it run beyond it's spec and powering it with a poor quality power supply etc..

Hope these helps..
                  Oh thanks for the info. I will be doing cuts on 6061 alu 2mm thick sheets. Carbon fiber sheets will mostly be limited to 2-3mm thick. I don't know what kind of spindle is that but do u think that it can handle wat I want to cut?
                  Esky Dauphin
                  Walkera Lama 2
                  Walkera 5G6
                  Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Not sure about the spindle.. But I've personally tried using a dremel on 6061 aluminium.. really cannot make it maybe for my lack of experience..

I've not yet tried any cut on carbon fiber, but a friend have done several cut with his sherline mill and according to him. It's rather tricky on the end mill not the power, as even carbides ones will go blunt just after a short run..

You need to change the spindle for sure.. Can try Proxxon if kress is hard to reach as the best priced one I found is in Germany, while I believe you can get proxxon locally.. Otherwise.. Can get a cheap Makita Laminate router, <$100 lots of power but tricky on the feed rate if the machine comes with low torque stepper, and very noisy..

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
                    Oh thanks for the info. I will be doing cuts on 6061 alu 2mm thick sheets. Carbon fiber sheets will mostly be limited to 2-3mm thick. I don't know what kind of spindle is that but do u think that it can handle wat I want to cut?

Comment

Working...
                    X