Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult to setup a Sherline Tool

Hi,
    Can those who own the Sherline lathe & Mill advise how difficult it is for a person with zero knowledge on machining to setup the tool before it can be use for production/operation.

What separate calibration tools do I need to purchase after acquiring the lathe or mill.

Thanks.

-shim

not difficult, just some patient, and 0.1 mm error is not really a big deal during
    your first few cuts, so just sq the machine till your comfort zone and start
    cutting, you can always square the machine again when you want it.

i started with the idea of getting it 100% perfect, and this end me up nowhere.

tools wise, a dial gauge, gauge stand, tri-sq, and a small mallet will keep you busy.

i just started a Log Book to keep records of what i did, think this will be handy.

all the best.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
    Robotis Bioloid
    Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Hi Shim,

Infact sherline is one of the most documented miniature machine available in the market. The details of setup and operation is nicely written in the manual that comes w it. They are also available for download at sherline site.

If you PM me your address, I can also get a copy of the sherline catalog to you

If you really need to clock / calibrate your setup, I would advise a dial or dial test indicator.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Hi, It would be a bonus if you have some machining background. I only work in a machine shop for a month decade ago where I primarily learn how to operate a bridge port mill and cutting with mild steel. From there on, I learn myself.

For first timer to Sherline mill or lathe, the basic set should be enough to get you going. Of course you need to get some material to start practicing with to know how the cutting would be. Moving on you will need more cutting tools or accessories as you may need different to perform different task.

Keep thing simple for a start. Cut those thing within your capacity and move on to more complex shape later.

Comment

Working...
        X