Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cutting shapes from aluminium

Hi,
    anybody know where / anyone who may be able to help with cutting 2 -3 mm alum sheet into odd shapes. The outlines are in dxf format.

Recall a thread here that offer laser cutting charged by the hour. But no reply so far...anybody know where its still doing this.

thanks

can u try attaching the dxf file. I would like to have a look.

Mike

Comment

dun have the file with me, will send 2 u tomorrow in office...u got a email I can send to.

thanks

Comment

Send it to daddyhobb(at)hotmail.com

else u can attached the dxf file using the forum software.

Mike

Comment

send a copy to me also, just want to take a look and if i find the time i'll cut it.

chyenw@xoluxion.net

Comment

Hi jtansoon,

I had a look at your design.

There are some minor things like corner of a sq cut out. The corner will not be perfect sharp 90 degree angle. Usually if we use a 3mm end mill, it will be R1.5mm If we go with a 2mm end mill, the radius will be 1mm.

The other issue will be the size. For smaller parts is not a main concern but for the big pc, the size is 212.21mm edge to edge. To CNC at one go, looks like only genexis setup can accomodate.

My setup is 228mm x 177.8 mm It is possible to cut the shape you want but require "shifting" which we usually refrain from doing

Mike

Comment

haha... mike, you always talk like shifting is no sweat kind of job, so please try to do it

Comment

Genexis

If small shifting to stretch a little is ok. This one had to shift all 4 sides

Cheers

Mike

Comment

hi, thanks

if you are referring to the cut out to reduce weight, it does not matter whether its square or curve at the corners, as it is comestic. but if you are referring to the slots, as the parts are meant to interlock, not too sure how things will fit later.

btw - the plates are single pieces, but the core will need 8 pieces to hold the plates and carrier together..

thanks

Comment

yup its those slot. There are ways to minimise / overcome but will be additional work. Btw, which is the "core" that u need 8 pcs? Which filename?

Cheers

Mike

Comment

nvm, I saw one of the file w "core" I guess its a robot design.

Let me absorb more. Not very likely I can do but I will have a word w Genexis

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Hi,
                        thanks....u know anybody that does laser cutting ? It would be easy on a laser cutter...

thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X