Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

working on some shocktowers...

Tamiya re-released the Top Force some time ago and it's a very nice car to run.

I hand-milled some aluminum shock towers for the car but because they were done by hand they weren't the prettiest so decided to try something a bit more "factory" looking.

Here's the pic from my CAM program...

If it rains tomorrow I'll try cutting these out...

Originally posted by BloodClod
    Tamiya re-released the Top Force some time ago and it's a very nice car to run.

I hand-milled some aluminum shock towers for the car but because they were done by hand they weren't the prettiest so decided to try something a bit more "factory" looking.

Here's the pic from my CAM program...

If it rains tomorrow I'll try cutting these out...
    sweet..., you prolly can make a few more and sell! i'm sure there'll be peeps out there who'd want 'em..
    for sale

Comment

As expected I loaded all my gear into the car to head to FW when it started to rain...

so ended up machining the towers... nice to have something to do when it rains like it's raining nowadays.

first program... holes center drilled.

second run... holes enlarged to 3mm, then screws attached.

final run... milling the inside cutouts and external shape.

front tower installed in car.

rear tower installed in car.

Comment

are those self tapping cap screws? If so where did you get them from? If no, how is it securing the g10 to the wood below?

Comment

dam cool

I don remember there are any Allen key self taping screw. I used different size philips head taping screw .. got it like 30 pcs $1.50 ... i bought quite a bit.

BC just wondering whats below the G10? It seems to be "raised"

Nice work bro.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

I have seen allen head self tapping screws before but I don't think they are widely available. Anyway, these are not self tapping screws. Just normal machine screws. 3mm screws threaded into 2.5mm holes. When I first tried this mounting method I never thought it would work but it did so I've been using this method for all my plate work so far without problems.

HZM - you're right eh? looks like the G10 is raised but actually it's not. so strange.

I have a vid of the cutting but it's in 3GP format, tried posting but it said format not supported.

Comment

Yo BC. how deep you went beneath the G10? it will looks "emboss" to me

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
                Yo BC. how deep you went beneath the G10? it will looks "emboss" to me

Cheers

Mike
                ya... went a little deeper. Should be about 1.5-2mm. Overt was telling me G10 can kill the mill faster so I cut a bit deeper to use a different part of the end mill to do the cutting. BTW, I cut the shape in 1 pass. No problems whatsoever.

Comment

ya... went a little deeper. Should be about 1.5-2mm. Overt was telling me G10 can kill the mill faster so I cut a bit deeper to use a different part of the end mill to do the cutting. BTW, I cut the shape in 1 pass. No problems whatsoever.
                  one pass?! power! hope you had the shop vac on..... or have you noticed your throat being a lil bit mo tickly these days??

nice work bro!
                  for sale

Comment

Overt again? How come everyone consult him one

I think u can push thru 2mm at 1 go lah , I already going 1mm on Alu w a 6mm carbide cutter ... and overt was wooo waa

Cool

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
                      Overt again? How come everyone consult him one

I think u can push thru 2mm at 1 go lah , I already going 1mm on Alu w a 6mm carbide cutter ... and overt was wooo waa

Cool

Mike
                      what you mean "overt again"??? is overt a bad word?.....

haha...actually mike, your 1mm pass into alu was making too much noise for my liking...cut sure can cut but sounds too "deep" for me leh.....i can hear your mill screaming out in pain leh! hahaha
                      for sale

Comment

Er... not that everyone consult him lah... he just always giving advice whether we like it or not... lol...

The mill seemed to handled the cutting without problems. For Alu I also used 0.5mm per pass.

Funny thing is for the stuff I used to do by hand I would actually mill through like 4-5mm at a go... but go VERY slow. then leave about 0.5mm to clean up the edge for a nice finish. I hated going through the same pass over and over again...

Comment

Er... not that everyone consult him lah... he just always giving advice whether we like it or not... lol...

ouch..........ok guys...i get the hint............
                          for sale

Comment

From the looks of your toolpath ... What endmill bit are you using? You are not drilling the holes right, more like pocketing or contouring?

Comment

He should be drilling See the pic above, he got the center drill on the chuck

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X