Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions for CNC milling

For the CNC mill with particular to the package stated in SGTOOLING, 5400A/5410A Deluxe Mill Package what are the necessary items i need to purchase to enable it to mill out parts using a computer? I need to get my facts right before i step into this.
    I'm back!!!!

you will need the following.
    3 motors + a min 3 axis control card + power supply
    you will need to do some research on the type of motor and card you want,
    else you can ask Mike for the proven setup.

of course one computer with softwares.
    depending on the card you choose, it will either be connected via a serial/parallel or directly via the card itself.

there are a lot of sources in the internet, too much to list here.
    forums: http://www.cnczone.com/

Goodluck.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
    Robotis Bioloid
    Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Thanks, i will check this out
      I'm back!!!!

Comment

If you opt for 5400A/5410A ( 5410A is metric system ), to go CNC route, you will need CNC upgrade kit. The advantage of going this route is you can do manual milling for time being and upgrade later.

You will also need stuff like Pilot bear mentioned, 3 stepper motor, Stepper driver board and also a power supply, PC w parallel port.

Alternatively, many jump start w Sherline CNC ready system. http://shop.sgtooling.com/index.php?...d&productId=11

or

http://shop.sgtooling.com/index.php?...d&productId=22 under product option, you can add CNC ready package.

Sherline do supply Stepper motor & Driver unit complete http://www.sherlinedirect.com/mercha...pid=203&step=4

With a CNC ready machine w the above package, you are almost there. Probably just need a PC w Mach 3 Motor controller software.

You can save money if you can do a little DIY, get stepper motor from www.kelinginc.net and stepper driver board from www.xylotex.com

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

for the Sherline CNC ready system, what type of material can i mill parts from? is it possible to mill steel parts or aluminum. For mill, it is cutting of materials to the specifications using input from computer software but it is able to mill out complex parts in 4 dimensional if i am using mach 3?
          I'm back!!!!

Comment

Basically a mill can work on any material. The restriction is on the end mill ( tooling ) You can even mill harden material w the correct tools.

The machine need to be setup and compensate for backlash before you can achieve precise dimension w respect to your drawing in computer.

For 4 Axis milling, you just need a driver board capable of fourth axis input as well as a rotary table. With that you can accomplish very complicated machining.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
              Basically a mill can work on any material. The restriction is on the end mill ( tooling ) You can even mill harden material w the correct tools.

The machine need to be setup and compensate for backlash before you can achieve precise dimension w respect to your drawing in computer.

For 4 Axis milling, you just need a driver board capable of fourth axis input as well as a rotary table. With that you can accomplish very complicated machining.

Mike
              With the above mentioned, how much does it cost for this capablilty? The cost is always holding me back.
              I'm back!!!!

Comment

put aside 4K, this will include all the neccessary endmill bits and material and vacuum and enclosure. This is a safe amount.

Comment

Let me do a breakdown of cost for you

Sherline 5410A-CNC - $2396
                  Sherline 8770 Stepper Driver set - $1542

Total - $ 3938

Alternative :-
                  Stepper Motor x 3 from Kelinginc - $215
                  Xylotex 3 Axis Stepper board - $256
                  Power Supply - $50
                  Parallel cable - $10
                  Connecting cable from stepper to driver board - $10

Total - $2937

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
                    Let me do a breakdown of cost for you

Sherline 8770 Stepper Driver set - $1542

Total - $ 3938

Alternative :-
                    Stepper Motor x 3 from Kelinginc - $215
                    Xylotex 3 Axis Stepper board - $256
                    Power Supply - $50
                    Parallel cable - $10
                    Connecting cable from stepper to driver board - $10

Total - $2937

Cheers

Mike
                    What is the difference between the two, which is more recommended if i am going for complex shapes? there is also a 1K difference in the set up cost
                    I'm back!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hello_hellohello
                      What is the difference between the two, which is more recommended if i am going for complex shapes? there is also a 1K difference in the set up cost

Both setup will allow you to perform full 3D CNC.

The differences being one of them had everything from Sherline. The other one you had to order from a few places and put them together yourself.

The end result should be equal. having said that, all this we are talking about 3 Axis ( X,Y & Z ) machining. At most, you need a fourth Axis ( Rotary Table ) which could offset you by another $600-$800

Take a look at this site pretty interesting

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X