Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build your own "IFO"

Hi All,

Here's my new project home built "IFO" with minimum cost. I intend to build it really slow and steady whenever I've got some spare time (since much are spent with family).

I won't say I "designed" this plane since there are already so many out there in Spore such as RCkite, Firefly, and the orginal IFO from (www.wildrc.com).
    More than a trial and error to balance the CG, I believe any plane will fly as long the basics are present and CG balanced "roughly".

So for those folks out there wish to built one too....be patient ok. ..let me do a few test flights to confirm the dimensions,CG and config, then I can post the plan eventually to share with us in DH.

I want to keep this plane simple to built, real cheap...and fun!

here are some pics for the start.

Roughly outline the shape of the wing on a flat compressed foam get from Artfriend (6mm thick), sorry the dimensions not confirm at this stage (you can figure out from the pics)....but just by rough guage of the shape of the wing and space clearance in front of the motor.

use masking tape to hold the carbon rod in place.

Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

hi there
    looking good
    anyway i kinda find $380 quite expensive.. for the kite itself.. so i might wanna DIY as well.
    and may i ask.. how much does ur motor + servo+ Rx cost?? excluding the carbon rods and foam

Comment

thnk it looks like those gws BL motor...kinda eager to noe the results.

Comment

Cool Keep up the gd work

But a comment, I think the 6mm foam is a little too thick. Personally I think 3mm would be ideal.

Comment

Hi all>I thhink that mostly I have seen the compressed foam artboard is 5mm at artfriend.

Comment

hehe sorry I used a real cheap plastic vernier caliper (S$3.60 only) bought from Sim lim tower. the compressed foam should be 5mm after double checking.... opps

Comment

You can go to Sport Light and get the Nylon Rip Stop for $12.90/m. They have all colours, including neon and black.

Ask for "Rip Stop".
              SonicBoom

Comment

sport light--> 12.90???
                i buy at plaza singapura`s SPOTLIGHT at only $9.95 per meter.
                can buy half meter.

Comment

thinks Sonicboom price is from rotor if not mistaken. Agree with Monkey on the pricing from Plaza Sing
                  If the building stops, the buying starts!

Comment

$12.90 is the most expensive lot there, I think, it has been a while . But I do remember that some of the Rip Stop are cheaper than another in Spotlight (@ Plaza Singapura). I think it is the thickness and colour. Best to check it out yourself.

Yes, got to cut with hot knife (solder iron with blade tip) to seal the seams properly. You have to find some stunt kite making books to learn the sewing techniques for the "professional finish", but I guess CA does the job nowadays.
                    SonicBoom

Comment

I think you do not need to cut with hot knife....

What I observed from THS...

Place the frame on the ripstop.....glue with Bob Smiths technology thin CA....after that cut away using penknife....after cutting...use a hot soldering iron just to run along edges...
                      TREX 500 ESP
                      Futaba T12FGH

Comment

bro,

i think its best for you to buy ripstop from wild rc. the quality is much more better....
                        + i ` k a l +

Transmitter
                        p c m 9 x
                        RC Kite
                        S c o r p i o n
                        A L P H A B a b y
                        Ice cream prototype

Comment

sorry Mr P4cm4n2000
                          do u use pressed foam to build ur IFO? and yes I do agree that wildrc's rip-stop is better. saw the material from spot-light, it seems to be slightly heavier and thicker. dont knw if i'm rite. Pls advice....

Comment

Originally posted by very_new_flyer
                            sorry Mr P4cm4n2000
                            do u use pressed foam to build ur IFO? and yes I do agree that wildrc's rip-stop is better. saw the material from spot-light, it seems to be slightly heavier and thicker. dont knw if i'm rite. Pls advice....

the depron is used to lay the ripstop flat so that it will make the fabric look tighter on the end product if im not wrong.
                            the nylon fabric is not really heavy and thicker i should say.. but the fabric tends to expand in cold weather. and shrink when you use a hairdryer to heat it up. i've ever tested it before with the owner of That Hobby Shop.
                            Mr Christopher... but yet, its up to individual taste wether they want to use the ripstop from Wild Rc or Spotlight. . .
                            + i ` k a l +

Transmitter
                            p c m 9 x
                            RC Kite
                            S c o r p i o n
                            A L P H A B a b y
                            Ice cream prototype

Comment

Dear Fellow Aeromodellers!

I've finally completed the home built "IFO" out of compressed 6mm foam.

Here's the completed version, tested, and flown at Punggol Field Walk field.

The cost of material is really very very cheap, especially out of compressed 6mm foam.

Purpose of posting this plane's plan is to help students in particular and newbies to start this hobby without much spending too much, yet lots of enjoyment. Material used in my version is of lowest cost and to optimize material used,simplest method of joints. You can use your own method to join the parts if you feel better. Share it with us man...keke...

Of cos you can buy more "reliable" and quality ripstock versions from local hobbyshops (RCKite, FireFly, I_canFly, U_CannotFly, HouseFly etc..) or get the real thing from WildRC "IFO" since the orginal design came from them.
                              Join thousands of people who own a premium domain. Affordable financing available.

I would very much like to post the step-by-step building guide & Free plan
                              however, need your responses if you are interested.

Here's some pics I flew with the folks (Ghostfit,PhilipW,Mr.Yip):
                              Post all pictures and videos here. Alternatively, you can upload pictures and videos at the Photo Gallery.

Final check, how many of you would like to build this plane?

Let me know your feedbacks. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X