Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sushi 400

Well since there's a new section, I thought that I may as well start it off by posting what I am currently building.

When I started the project, I didn't think much about posting a thread, and as such, the number of pictures are limited.

In 1995, I bought a copy of the March/April issue of the Electric Flighht International (EFI) magazine, which comes with a pull out plan for a sport flying plank wing, designed for speed 400 brushed motor. The design is simple and somewhat squarish and boxy, which makes the building quite straightforward. However, it also have some sexy curved wingtips, which although are quite eye appealing, may pose some small challenge to some builders.

I happened to have a 20mm size brushless inrunner motor and a 6x3 folder spinner/prop to go with, which I think is suitable for this project. This model has 43" wingspan and like most flying wings, it just requires 2 servos.

At this point, I have already completed the airframe construction, and moving on to the covering stage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	986796Click image for larger version

Name:	h.jpg
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	986803Click image for larger version

Name:	e.jpg
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	986800Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	986797Click image for larger version

Name:	f.jpg
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	986801Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	986798Click image for larger version

Name:	g.jpg
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	986802Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	986799

Done with basic covering job. The wings are epoxied onto the fuselage permanently. The motor and the folder is fitted in place. Now about the rig and install the flight controls.

Name:	i.jpg
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	973312Click image for larger version

Name:	k.jpg
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	973313

Comment

The servos are rigged and installed in place. I made a mould to fabricate the servo covers from PVC sheets. Turns out pretty neat.

I got all electronics and equipment installed and bench tested the system on 3S. The 20mm inrunner produced quite some static pull on 3S, but I felt that it was working too hard, although I haven't take any current measurement yet. I'll try it on 2S later on.

Name:	2013-01-01 17.10.46.jpg
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	973326Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-01 17.16.51.jpg
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	973327

Comment

I added some trims to the white upper surface to aid visual orientation. My wife gave me the idea of bordered polka dots.

Name:	a.jpg
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	973328

Comment

Excellent quality work!
          Will you have another fuselage for slope?

Comment

Thanks, but I do not have another fuselage for slope. The wing section is not optimized for slope soaring. It is just a simple flat bottom airfoil with reflex. However, I can still fly this off Sedili.

Comment

Maidened it this evening. Upon launching, the model pitched its nose up and I have to hold some down elevator during the climb. When I got enough height, I chopped the throttle and the nose started to pitch down. Apparently, the motor down thrust is not sufficient.

Since this model is to be flown with power off, like a glider, for most of the time, I trimmed it fly at throttle cut. I did a few small circuit before landing. Before my next launch, I programmed some mixing between throttle and elevator to mitigate the pitching moment. The next flight, although still not yet perfect, is much more manageable.

Overall, on 2S the climb rate, although is not spectacular, is decent enough for a sport model. What I really like about this model, is the glide ratio. It is quite a good floater and the landing approach pretty shallow, so a little more space is needed. With the motor cut and the prop folded, although you can't really compete with a DLG, will award you with a long and flat glide.

In a nutshell, I'm glad that I finally build this model, which I always wanted, although is already somewhet 18 years later.

Comment

As usual, nice build man.
                Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
                ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
                Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Added some final touches......

Name:	b.jpg
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	973337

Comment

Nice work joe yap!!

Comment

it makes me hungry... sushi

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post

In a nutshell, I'm glad that I finally build this model, which I always wanted, although is already somewhet 18 years later.
                        This is really encouraging.

So this is more of a powered glider?

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                          Added some final touches......

"The finish is beautiful, what is the material that is tacking it down?
                          As to the flying, maybe if you equalize the center of gravity, and adjust the control surface throws, it might not pitch up as much on take off.
                          - Just saying?
                          "

Comment

Swee

As always Joe..nice work..
                            In The Hangar
                            BH - SU26M - OS Powered
                            BH - Edge 540 V3 50cc
                            In The Dock
                            Carbonic Boats - Light Ice IOM - Wind Powered
                            In The Garage
                            JQ The Car Yellow Edition - Novarossi