Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for mounting KK2 board on Quad

I'm trying to mount a KK2 board onto a Flame Wheel 330 quad frame and encountered this problem. See photos below.

Normally I thought I'd be able to drill some holes and mount the KK2 board on stand-offs. But now looks like the frame screws are just the right size to block my attempt. Neither can I enlarge the KK2 board mounting holes and stretch them to align with the frame screw holes.

Any good ideas on how to mount this board??? This is my first quad by the way, so learning as I go along...

Can I just mount the KK2 board on stand-offs on an aluminium plate, then use foam tape to secure this alu plate to the frame? (since I need to cushion the board from vibration anyway) Is this secure enough for good directional control?

Must I mount the board at the exact centre of the quad, or can I offset it slightly forward or backward to avoid the frame screws?

Here are some photos of the issue, TOP of the photos is the board FWD direction - I'm building an X-config.

Thanks for any ideas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1332.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	984719Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1331.jpg
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	984720

------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Mounting with Foam ear plugs

If you don't mind sticking foam ear plugs on your board, you can try this method. Great shock and vibration absorber.

Name:	484531_390904334308813_1561784943_n.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	971631

Saw it in Flitetest.

Comment

Does it really work??

I'm trying to mount the KK2 on a F450, thinking of using plastic stand-offs. If it really work, I might give it a try. Lots of earplugs lying around.

Comment

For normal KK board which used piezo gyros just use nylon screws or nuts is more than enough they're hardly effected by vibration, you can even fly it with unbalance props...but HK KK2 is using difference type of gyro with 3 axis accelerometer which is more sensitive to vibration but two layers of double sided foam tape on the bottom of the board don't need screw or nut, you are good to go .

P.S. just stick the board at the bottom plate, top plate to mount your lipo.

Regards,
        Edwin.k

Comment

Originally posted by edwin3162 View Post
          For normal KK board which used piezo gyros just use nylon screws or nuts is more than enough they're hardly effected by vibration, you can even fly it with unbalance props...but HK KK2 is using difference type of gyro with 3 axis accelerometer which is more sensitive to vibration but two layers of double sided foam tape on the bottom of the board don't need screw or nut, you are good to go .

P.S. just stick the board at the bottom plate, top plate to mount your lipo.

Regards,
          Edwin.k
          Thanks Edwin. I was also considering to mount the KK2 board on an aluminium or plywood plate with standoffs, then foam tape this plate to the quad frame.

But I was thinking of using the upper (top) frame, for better access to view the screen and press those pushbuttons! The heavier lipo goes to the lower (bottom) frame, for lower CG and better stability.
          Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.

Comment

KK2 Quad, 330-size

It's flying! My first Quad, maidened on Aug 9, after a "false start"...

Lesson learned; always always put the quad on SAFE before messing around with TX settings, especially control reversals

P_gain = 45 and I_gain = 60... seems to be still wobbling slightly in hover, but very steady in flight, despite the strong wind blowing at the time. I haven't messed around with the other features of the board like "Height Dampening" and "Self Leveling".

Share some info on the build "recipe", for those intending to get into quads. Now with KK2, anyone can fly (Quad)!

DJI Flamewheel 330 frame
            KK2 board
            4 x Turnigy Plush 30A
            4 x NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w (Motor)
            4 x NTM Prop Drive 28 Series Accessory Pack
            10CM Male to Male Servo Lead (JR) 26AWG (10pcs/set)
            4 x 8045 props (2 CW and 2 CCW)

And a useful link for KK2 basic setup: http://oddcopter.com/2012/07/24/sett...-quadcopter-x/

The ESCs are way over-rated as the motor specs estimate only 9A (?) draw with 8" props. Nevertheless, I'll probably be migrating this stuff to a larger quad in future, so might as well stick to 30A as a standard. The Turnigy Plush 30A is also convenient to use because no further modification is required... it has a linear BEC so there is no issue with plugging the BEC wires of all 4 ESCs in parallel to the board.

A 3S 2200mAh lipo provides plenty of flight time. Five minutes of simple maneuvers and still land with around 3.85V/cell. This size of lipo, though, is quite a tight fit for the smallish 330 frame, so something in the range of 1300-1600mAh would be just nice!

The DJI frame seems customized for their own electronics, so there's not much flexibility in terms of add-ons or mounting points. Drilling the lower frame to attach skids, etc. is a major no-no as this piece is a multi-layered PCB for the power distribution

Name:	IMAG1363.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	971757Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1365.jpg
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	971758

Comment

Aiyo, your 330 over weigh le. Try this set up > 8" prop + hacker Style Brushless Outrunner 20-50S(29g) + TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9g/12amp 13g or 12A MultiESC(local) Speed Controller + min 20c 1300mah 3s. You will never look back :wink5:.

Regards,
              Edwin.K

Comment

Originally posted by edwin3162 View Post
                Aiyo, your 330 over weigh le. Try this set up > 8" prop + hacker Style Brushless Outrunner 20-50S(29g) + TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9g/12amp 13g or 12A MultiESC(local) Speed Controller + min 20c 1300mah 3s. You will never look back :wink5:.

Regards,
                Edwin.K
                Thanks for the tips. Yes, I think a 330-size will get the most benefit from the ("diet") setup you suggested. Performance can be gained in 2 ways after all... pump in more power, or lose some weight.

As for my current setup, I'll want to try 4s by putting 2 x 2s 1300mAh lipos in series... according to the specs, it's well within the capability of the hardware. Should be interesting...

Comment

looks exciting. i just got one of this exact thing! but different motors. i estimate my set up to be around 620 grams. whats your all up weight?
                  "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
                  E-starter (GWS) - On "Fire", Trainer, -Sold
                  SPITFIRE (GWS) - On "Fire", -Sold
                  T-45 Goshhawk 64 mm EDF - Lift-off!
                  UAV Scratch Build Ver1.1 - It flies! -Sold
                  Mini Cessna scratch build - fun!
                  F330 Quadcopter W/KK2 V1.5 - Finally Tuned!
                  Charger- Turnigy AC6
                  sigpic

Comment

I weighed it once, can't remember the exact figure, but it's around 700+ g

I've tried a 4s lipo and it doesn't really improve the performance by much.

Currently in the process of transferring all the electronics to a new Turnigy Talon v2 550 frame... and will put the DJI frame on sale soon!

The larger frame can accommodate bigger diameter props, e.g. 10", which is what I'm going to try.

Comment

My AUW on the f330 quad with 2x1000mah 3s lipo (in parallel) with kk2 board is 650 grams there about. 1400kv motor with 7 inch props.

i used the original black foam box packaging that came with the kk2 as the base to absorb vibrations and to protect the board somewhat. below the foam is velcro to allow for removal as well as to provide some vibration dampening. it seems to work well. just have to make sure the 4 edges of the foam box is supported so that it will not wobble left or right in flight.
                      "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
                      Charger- Turnigy AC6
                      sigpic

Comment

How much it has grown...

As planned earlier, all the electronics have been migrated to a Turnigy Talon V2 550mm frame, with the props increased to 1045. This is a very nice, neat frame, despite the size, with the possibility of running the motor wires tidily inside the CF booms.

Roughly based on the build detailed here: http://andy-projects.blogspot.sg/201...ld-part-1.html

A pity that this frame did not come with any cover or shell... any suggestions or creative ideas on what to do, both to protect the electronics and aid in orientation?

Name:	IMAG1752.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	973780

Comment

Thats a 'dust cover' i got my friend to 3D print for me. since im still using the foam box that came with the packaging, the plastic is made with 4 legs that will fit into the 4 holes pre-drilled into the pdb board. this whole thing will go into the foam box which is attached to the frame for vibration absorption.

Name:	auto20130123-114740.jpg
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	973783Click image for larger version

Name:	auto20130123-115039.jpg
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	973784

since yours is offset mounted with nylon screws, perhaps install a CD case below that and you can get something like this:

Name:	kk cd mount.png
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	973785

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
                          Charger- Turnigy AC6
                          sigpic

Comment

as for orientation, your previous set up for two different coloured props for the front or back is good. jet hobby should have them. it's not on their website but there is a rack of cw/ccw props of various sizes and colours. call them to check perhaps?

33 Ubi Ave 3,
                            #01-10/11 Vertex,
                            Singapore 408868
                            Tel: 65 - 6223 8933
                            10:30am - 8:00pm (Mon-Fri)
                            10:30am - 6:00pm (Sat)
                            Public Holidays & Sunday closed

Name:	05H100-Quadcopter-Yellow-KIT-1.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	973786

very nice build on your 550 btw!

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
                            Charger- Turnigy AC6
                            sigpic

Comment

ok then again, since your electronics are hanging by the sides, need an enclosure like magneto's helmet

Name:	cover assy.png
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	973787

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
                              Charger- Turnigy AC6
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X