Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Build - First timer

Hey guys

I have never built a quadcopter ever, and i need some advice. I have seen this forum around alot so I thought id join in the community and become an active member.
    First of all I have brought ST360 Quadcopter Frame w/Motors and Propellers 360mm from hobbyking, was really impressed with the product and delivery time (2 days after I ordered it in New Zealand). Since the purchase I have brought a 1x Q Brain 4 x 20A Brushless Quadcopter ESC 2-4S 3A SBEC.
    From here am I best to install the Brain or order more parts and then install all of it at the same time?
    Also Im not sure what to order next? What else do I need to get to build a first time Quadcopter? I know I need a battery, KK2.1.5 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board , and radio gear....
    Also do i need a board that the wires need to be soldered too (PCB board)?
    Please help me im a noob at this and just want to start flying...

Thanks for any advice.

Flying Kiwi

Things you need.
    1. Power distribution board.
    2. Flight controller, get something like a Naze32 or CC3D or if you want something really easy to fly but expensive a Naza.
    3. Radio gear. If you're planning to stay long in this hobby, get the Taranis Plus and a X8R receiver.
    4. Batteries. You're gonna need some batteries. Could start with some 3S 2200mAh batteries.

I would suggest that you go watch some Youtube videos on the assembly. SOmething like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7heiGpzAIjg is not bad. While your parts are different, the general concept is the same.

Comment

The "ST360" from HobbyKing was my first quadcopter Now already scrapped.
      Here is my personal experience:
      Power distribution board => Optional. U can still without the PCB by wiring all the power line together and solder it or with plugs. Using Power distribution may give u a nicer power routing though.
      Fight controller => A lot of choices. I like KK2.0 or 2.1x because it has LCD display that u can easily tune it without computer....but performances may not as good as other board. Naze32 is nice because its microcontroller is faster than KK and board is smaller (thus, lighter) but I find that it is quite tedious that u need computer to tune it. Hate bring computer to field to tune it.
      Naza -> Never tried before so no experience.
      Alternative controller u can try is "Eagle Tree Vector" -> Good controller in my experience. Got On Screen Display (or Head Up Display). Good stability. If u connect video TX to the vector, u gain On Screen Display for tuning via video display and change value using your TX stick. U add camera to it, u gain FPV feature.

TX => Too many choices. If budget is concern and u intend to have a lot of RC model, go for those TX that has a lot of functions and programmability and cheaper RX...reason is, u will need a lot of RX.

Note: If possible, get the board that has onboard barometric or altimeter sensors. It need that sensor to stabilize the quadcopter in terms of up/down during hover or forward flight. KK2 board do not have barometric/altimeter sensor. Naze32 has 2 types of model. One with and one without barometric (thus cheaper).

EDIT: EagleTree Vector has barometric/altimeter sensor. Not sure about Naza or Naza lite.

Comment

Hello!

Hey thanks heaps for taking the time to help me out! Ok so what type of Power distribution board will I need? Im sorry I must sound like a complete Newbie but I am! haha. I have looked into the flight controller and I like the sound of the KK2.1.5 as there are alot of youtube videos to help me set it up and also the tuning without a computer sounds more ideal.
        I think the Taranis Plus and a X8R receiver sounds great.

Will the KK2.1.5 and the Taranis Plus and X8R receiver be fine together?

Thanks for help as always

Comment

Also why ya scrap the ST360? You more experienced and want more from the quadcopter?

Is there anything I can practice on before I fly and crash the real thing? haha

Comment

Anyone know what Power distribution board i should use on my ST360?

Thanks

Comment

Whats a good PDB i could use for the ST360 please anyone?

Thanks

Comment

Any PDB would work. As long as it fits in your frame and has the required number of solder points for the configuration that you are after, in this case, a quad. Look up places like hobbyking or Jethobby and do a search for PDB. They have loads. All a PDB does is to make wiring simpler and cleaner as you don't have to splice multiple wires together. Just hook up all ESCs and a power lead to it and you're done.

Comment

Thanks Evil - Im such a noob its gonna be a mission haha

Comment

It's best that you go watch some youtube videos on the assembly. Really makes life easier.

Comment

Yea ive been watching alot of them. I think building one from scratch is the way to go though, cause if I buy a fully built one and crash it I will have no idea how to fix it. So I think im going about it the right way. Its just the soldering on the board which im abit scared of as I have no soldering experience at all. Ill post some photos of the build.... Maybe then you can all give me some hints and tips.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	12081393_10153685090341133_86066778_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	980928

Comment

Soldering is critical bro. Here's the video on basic of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS0b...c2Ae8OBnqyHlCQ
                          I<3RC

Comment

Well all I have left to come in the mail is transmitter then the big build

W0o0o0oh0o0o0o0oo

Comment

Actually, why would you need a PDB for in this build? The Qbrain already has all the connections done up all nice and has a 5V UBEC built in, which should be enough to power your receiver and kk 2.1.5 or whatever FC you want.

All you need is to plug in the motors to the Qbrain's motor leads, lipo battery to the Qbrain's power lead, Qbrain's signal lead with 5V power to the flight controller, and the flight controller to the receiver.

Unless you are going into FPV, I suppose you don't need any other connections to be made and from that picture, seems like you just need to solder the bullet connectors onto the motor leads and just lacking your TX and RX, flight controller and lipo battery to make it fly. (With some setup, tuning and propellers too, of course)

Comment

Working...
                              X