Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit in the same mode myself, getting a lot of small jobs out of the way. I have another Scale project on the drawing board already, but the Sig Cub caught my eye and I wanted to gather as much info as I could for a build down the road. I would be interested in converting it to a L-4 Grasshopper in Navy markings.

I've subscribed to the thread so I won't miss anything when you finally get back around to building, but I imagine that your priority is now to get into the air and enjoy some fine weather flying first...

All the best for now, and we'll hook up later, I'm sure... I'm slowly working my way through this thread (just found it a few days ago) and I like what you did on the covering. A lot of folks miss that detail about covering the fin and upper fuse in one piece. I see that you caught it.. it looks like it came out very nicely.

Talk to you soon,

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

Just about the only piece of advice I can think of at the moment to provide you is to consider swapping the two upper fuselage longerons (balsa) with something stronger. I used spruce. IMHO, the minimum would be hard balsa. The fuselage formers supporting these longerons are few and they are far apart. A careless knock in the wrong place is all it'll take to fracture them. A decade back, I had built the SIG 1/4 Clipped wing cub which had the same structure - just bigger. I had the fuselage leaning vertically against the wall and carelessly knocked it over. It slid slowly sideways and one of the longerons just clipped a corner of low side table. Damage was slight but the small fracture eventually lead to a total break. I had to remove the whole upper fuselage covering just to replace the fractured longeron. The weight penalty using spruce is very small.

Cheers.

Tony
      To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Hi Tony,

I came across that while perusing the thread. I remember the Post where you spoke about it and explained why you did it. I agree, it would be better with some sturdier wood there and the weight penalty would be minimal.

I had that happen on a smaller plane and it was a pain to fix for just a small problem. I'll keep that in mind and will do it.

Thanks again,

Bob

Comment

Scale cockpit?

There is a possibility that there might be a Sig Anniversary Cub under the "Fathers Day Tree" (as opposed to the Christmas tree) this June.

If so, what are your opinions of:
          1. Powering it with a Saito 82 4S
          2. Powering it with a Magnum 52 4S
          3. Does a cockpit kit exist for this plane???

Thanks, guys.

Bob

Comment

IMHO, an 82 might be a tad too much for this plane. A 56 or 72 should be better for more scale like flight.

To my knowledge, SIG does not make a cockpit kit for any of the Cub kits they manufacturer. Don't know of a third party vendor either. But then, I never look really hard as I intended my build for stand way way off scale only.

Confucius

Comment

Thanks, Tony.

I'll look into another Saito 56 or 65. I have a Magnum 52 but I fear that that will be on the low end of the power curve. Not trying to hover it but want to make sure that I can get out of trouble when necessary.

I suppose I can cobble up a simple cabin. I'm not making a museum scale piece here, just a fun flyer but wanted to add a few touches to it. There are a lot of good hints in this forum.

Bob

Comment

The full sized Cub is pretty much a light powered aircraft. IMHO, the 52 will be very scale like on the 1/5 Sig Cub and the 72 will probably fly it like it was on steroids. But if you must have the margin, then the 72 should be ok. I am using a Saito 72 because its available. My Saito 52 is held up for another model I intend to build later.

Confucius

Comment

Hi Tony,

I'm leaning towards a Saito 62 right now. It's newer technology and my 56 is mounted elsewhere... but you never know. I might still put in the 56. I wanted to be sure that the engine was reliable. My 52 might not work all that well inverted.

Perhaps you've changed my thinking. If the bolt patterns are the same, I could possibly drop the 52 in the plane that presently has my 56, then use the 56 in the Cub. If I remember correctly, and if the 56 isn't enough power (you ca talk to that much better than I can), I can drop in the .62 or the .72 if the mounting pattern matches up.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Bob

Comment

Hello Tony,

I like to built a sig 1/5 schale piper cub, i have a small question can you give me the model of the feul reservoir that you used on your Cub.
                    Greatings from Belgium

Astula

Comment

Originally posted by astula View Post
                      Hello Tony,

I like to built a sig 1/5 schale piper cub, i have a small question can you give me the model of the feul reservoir that you used on your Cub.
                      Greatings from Belgium

Astula

Wow, how time has passed. Hard to believe that its been 2 years since I last touched my 1/5th scale Cub. Have been distracted in the meantime with building and flying control line planes..........the kind of plane that is controlled by a pair of lines to a handle and goes round and round. Great fun to go back to basics. Now coming starting RC again. I shall be restarting work on the Cub shortly.

What do you mean by the "fuel reservoir". Do you mean the fuel tank? I am using a Dubro 10 oz tank.

Confucius

Comment

Got the box with all the remaining parts for the build out from under the bed and found part of it damp with water. My house maid must have been a little too enthusiastic with the mop when cleaning the floor. Looks like a corner of the box had been repeatedly dampened and dried and was stuck to the parquet floor. Nothing serious. Fortunately, it is my usual practice to bag the parts in zip lock bags for storage and about the only part to sustain damage was the box itself. Some of the vinyl stickers were wet at places so they are being air dried. The plane itself is a little dusty. Nothing a good wipe and perhaps another air brush coat of butyrate dope won't solve.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10475996956_d5d1a3363e_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	976291

Before I restart on this build, I'd have to check out my RC gear first and complete my current control line stunt plane which is in the middle of a build first. If anyone is interested in build threads for control line planes, I have several threads here -

http://s6.zetaboards.com/Just_Fly_It/topic/8877730/1/

http://s6.zetaboards.com/Just_Fly_It/topic/8866149/1/

http://s6.zetaboards.com/Just_Fly_It/topic/8864075/1/

Confucius

Comment

Oops.....forgot.

Currently still on the building board is this - http://s6.zetaboards.com/Just_Fly_It/topic/8858183/1/.

Confucius

Comment

Builder has such great building skill that embarassed an ARF guy like me. The fabric coverings, denim jeans pilot and Robart 1/5 scale landing gear etc have perfected the plane further with exceptional details. Kudos. Good to see excellent posts like this! Great job, Tony.

Comment

Glad to be back after a pretty long break from RC. It'll be a while before I get to start on the Cub ie. have to clear models on the building board first. But I am looking forward to finishing the Cub.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X