Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Futaba 9CHP with OrangeRX TX module to control Blade nanoQX

By using OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 2.4Ghz transmitter module, you can use it in Futaba 9CHP to control Blade nanoQX.

This is because Blade nanoQX is using DSMX/DSM2 type of TX and RX.

I find that the RTF's TX that comes withe nanoQX has a throttle stick that is too loose vs rudder. This making controlling nanoQX using rudder then to easily "unwanted" throttle control. This making the craft changes in collective/altitude when controlling rudder.

Thus, by using the Futaba (or any TX that can use the above TX module), controlling the nanoQX is more better control.

Note: Hitec Aurora 9 has more pins. Thus, u cannot plug in the above TX module to Aurora9 unless u create an adapter instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rxm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	993814

Now.... there is one problem when using the above TX on Futaba 9CHP.

In Futaba and Hitec, the default channels for:
    Channel 1 => Aileron
    Channel 2 => Elevator
    Channel 3 => Throttle

But DSMX/DSM2 is using JR type of channels layout whereby:
    Channel 1 => Throttle
    Channel 2 => Aileron
    Channel 3 => Elevator

So, to fix this problem, you need to reassign the TX's channel. In Hitec Aurora 9, you can reassign all channels to all sticks and switches. But for Futaba 9CHP, u can't reassign Channel 1 to 4 (or those stick cannot be reassign).

To walk around the above limitation on TX that do not support channel reassigned, you either:
    1. Use "OrangeRX USB Firmware Update Kit for JR/Futaba Style Transmitter Module" to reprogram the DSMX/DSM2 TX module.
    2. Using programming mixing to disable the TX stick movement and mix it with other channel.

For #2 method, here is how I did/use on my Futaba 9CHP to control my nanoQX:
    Programming Mix #1:
    Throttle->Throttle
    Rate -100% -100% (This will turn off the Throttle stick to channel 3 movement)

Programming Mix #2:
    Throttle->Aileron
    Rate +100% +100% (This will use throttle stick to control channel 1)

Programming Mix #3:
    Elevator->Throttle
    Rate +100% +100% (This will use Elevator stick to control channel 3)

Programming Mix #4:
    Aileron->Elevator
    Rate +100% +100% (This will use Aileron stick to control channel 2)

Programming Mix #6:
    Aileron->Aileron
    Rate -100%, -50%, 0%, +50%, +100% (This will disable Aileron stick to Channel 1)

Programming Mix #7:
    Elevator->Elevator
    Rate +100%, +50%, 0%, -50%, -100% (This will disable Elevator stick to Channel 2)

Channel reverse:
    Channel 1, 2, 3, 4

Because of the above, the subtrim will be:
    Throttle subtrim up/down => Elevator backward/forward.
    Elevator subtrim up/down => Aileron left/right
    Aileron subtrim left/right =>Throttle +/-

Comment

That's good info for me.
      I am using 9chp as well.
      I purposely bought a DX6i only for MCPX BL.
      Now at least I can fully utilize the 9chp with this module.
      I think I'll go with the option 1. Use "OrangeRX USB Firmware Update Kit for JR/Futaba Style Transmitter Module" to reprogram the DSMX/DSM2 TX module. Should be more straight forwatd right?
      Also will be getting the this to upsize the memory for 9chp.

Comment

My "OrangeRX USB Firmware Update Kit for JR/Futaba Style Transmitter Module" arrived a few days ago but I have yet try it out. Hope it is straight forward.

Comment

That's great. Hope can hear your review soon.
          Do you upsize your 9chp memory using the Ultra PACII?
          Always got to remove certain model of 9chp memory when acquired new toys.
          With the upsize memory, no more hassle!

Comment

I try to post the finding soon.

My Futaba 9CHP is my old TX. I use Hitec Aurora 9. So far do not hit any programs limit yet
            Initially I bought the DSMX/DSM2 TX module is for use in my Hitec Aurora 9 to control the nanoQX. But I got the module, I realized it does not fit Aurora9 due to more pins. So, I no choice but to dust off my old 9CHP just to use it.

Comment

Great. Let me know if the programming works.

Comment

Just tested and flash the Orange TX module using the "OrangeRX USB Firmware Update Kit for JR/Futaba Style Transmitter Module". Just go to the HobbyK's website to download the required driver (USB) and the firmware update software.

Connect the USB portion to the computer and install the USB driver. Connect the other board to the TX module and connect a 5V supply to the USB board. Run the firmware update software, and select connect. Choose the correct firmware and then click update. That is all.

I tried it out on my Futaba to Blade nanoQX with all the programming mixing turn off. Yup! can control the nanoQX. Yey!

Name:	20130826_211948.JPG
Size:	711.7 KB
ID:	976024Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_212010.JPG
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	976025Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_212050.JPG
Size:	520.8 KB
ID:	976026Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_212134.JPG
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	976027Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_212410.JPG
Size:	698.5 KB
ID:	976028

Comment

Great!!
                  Is the futaba channel 1 still controlling aileron or throttle after module firmware update?

Comment

There is no changes to the RX... so between TX module to RX, it is still channel 1 for throttle or JR type combination.
                    What this firmware update is that, it reroute Futaba Channel (Aileron) to Channel 2, Channel 2 (Elevator) to Channel 3 and Channel 3 (Throttle) to Channel 1. Thus, in terms of Futaba TX to the module, it is back to normal.

Comment

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............the USB "OrangeRX USB Firmware Update Kit for JR/Futaba Style Transmitter Module" is out of stock......
                      Planning to order tonite but..........

Comment

For those who want to get "OrangeRX USB Firmware Update Kit for JR/Futaba Style Transmitter Module" but no stock in HobbyK... you might want to try this:

By analyzing the circuitry... it looks like this:
                        The USB portion is just a USB to Serial devices. In this case, it is using: PL-2303HX. You should be able to use any USB to serial devices like FTDI device used in Skookuum or BeastX.
                        That device has 3 wires output...which is +5V, Ground and Serial signal.
                        The +5V signal is not strong enough to power the TX module...which is why you need to connect a 5V supply to it.

The board that connect to the TX module should just a wiring/PCB routing.

For Futaba TX module type. The pin layout should be shown below.

Name:	Hitec-Futaba Module PinOut.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	976029

So, what you need is just connect a +5V supply to the +VCC pin and Ground to the Ground pin. Then the Serial output is connected to the Modulation input.
                        Then use the OrangeRX USB software to flash the firmware.

Comment

Mine shipped.

Comment

Yey!! Good news wor. Should be able to get it this saturday i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
                              Yey!! Good news wor. Should be able to get it this saturday i guess.
                              Unless I take aeroplane there and self-collect. It will take 1-2weeks as per registered mail. Me no spektrum planes or helis so no need the hurry.

Comment

Working...
                              X