Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dremel or Proxxon?

Hi all, i want to change my rotary tool. now can't decide if i should get dremel or proxxon. dremel sure sounds more reputable but there are some reviews that say proxxon is better. if you have used any of it before, pls share any pros and cons regarding the tool. thanks =]
    oh and where is the cheapest place to buy such tools? homefix is crazy expensive...

There is a shop in Fook Hai building that sells both DREMEL and PROXON . I think its SG Tooling , as a matter of fact now they even sell 3d printers . Check it out , they have more to offer then what i have mentioned .

Comment

I favor dremel, as it carries cordless dremel, (proxxon don't), has more range of items going on sale, includes case or carry bags and has more contemporary look than proxxon.

Comment

ic...for rotary tools, which is more important actually? rpm or torque? proxxon has lower rpm but high torque, opposite for dremel.

Comment

I think it will really depend on the nature of the work or application you are doing. If you are drilling through very tough material you require torque. Likewise speed provides you the efficiency of the work done. Look for those with multi speed or variable speed selection so that there are times you may require high torque lower speed for more precise work without damaging material.

Comment

dremel 3000 with 15pc accessories is selling for 79.90 at sg tooling...seems like real good buy.

Comment

Bro, personally I think the availability and diversity of the cutting bits is also something to consider. I'm not too familiar with proxxon but I can easily get a whole bunch of attachments and bits online as well as sg tooling.

Comment

I have both. I find the proxxon a lot quieter and more precise than the dremel. I can use the proxxon in the middle of the night and nobody will complain . But with dremel, it is rather loud. But I have to add that my dremel is the old model. Given the price better to get the 115$ package. You will need the extension cord eventually.

Comment

One question here. are the bits interchangable? can dremel use proxxon bits/accessories?? and vise versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Janson View Post
                    One question here. are the bits interchangable? can dremel use proxxon bits/accessories?? and vise versa.
                    I used most of the attachment for dremel on the proxxon.

Comment

It relli depends on wat wrk ure going to do.. i was using dremel for most of the basic jobs.. like grinding cutting by hand. It will do most of the jobs adequately.
                      But if u wan precision, stability, and higer torque at low speed, then proxxon is the way to go. Ive used the dremel on its workstation to do precision drilling and bit of milling and i'm not happy with it. The stand is too flimsy. The dremel oscillates too much. When u talking abt drilling small holes, then its abit frustrating.

Proxxon on the othr hand doesnt look as stylo as dremel. The stand looks basic but it does the job real good. The bits dun haf so much runoff as the dremel.
                      I prefer the older made in usa dremel than the older ones.

Sold off my dremel, now looking forward for a proxxon professional grinder with the stand. But now in the process of negotiating for a proxxon mini mill system.

Then if got some extra money, can convert to cnc.. hehe

Bottom line is, if ure going for basic drilling grinding or basic rotary tool jobs tat doesnt quite require precision, then the dremel is way to go. Now its on sale.
                      But if u looking forward to do more serious job with the rotary tool like minor milling, precision routing, then the proxxon is the way to go.
                      For me, i dun mind spending feew bucks more for proxxon, who knows later on i will be doing some cnc and fabrication work with it.?

Like wat they say,
                      Proxxon, tools with character.. hehe

Comment

Originally posted by eekin View Post
                        It relli depends on wat wrk ure going to do.. i was using dremel for most of the basic jobs.. like grinding cutting by hand. It will do most of the jobs adequately.
                        But if u wan precision, stability, and higer torque at low speed, then proxxon is the way to go. Ive used the dremel on its workstation to do precision drilling and bit of milling and i'm not happy with it. The stand is too flimsy. The dremel oscillates too much. When u talking abt drilling small holes, then its abit frustrating.

Proxxon on the othr hand doesnt look as stylo as dremel. The stand looks basic but it does the job real good. The bits dun haf so much runoff as the dremel.
                        I prefer the older made in usa dremel than the older ones.

Sold off my dremel, now looking forward for a proxxon professional grinder with the stand. But now in the process of negotiating for a proxxon mini mill system.

Then if got some extra money, can convert to cnc.. hehe

Bottom line is, if ure going for basic drilling grinding or basic rotary tool jobs tat doesnt quite require precision, then the dremel is way to go. Now its on sale.
                        But if u looking forward to do more serious job with the rotary tool like minor milling, precision routing, then the proxxon is the way to go.
                        For me, i dun mind spending feew bucks more for proxxon, who knows later on i will be doing some cnc and fabrication work with it.?

Like wat they say,
                        Proxxon, tools with character.. hehe
                        Hi eekin, does the pros of the proxxon that you mentioned apply to all their models? The professionaldrill/grinder sure is expensive...there are cheaper models like the micromot 50. any idea how that compares to a dremel 3000? thanks for your inputs!
                        cheers~

Comment

Originally posted by Janson View Post
                          Hi eekin, does the pros of the proxxon that you mentioned apply to all their models? The professionaldrill/grinder sure is expensive...there are cheaper models like the micromot 50. any idea how that compares to a dremel 3000? thanks for your inputs!
                          cheers~
                          Made in Germany and Made in China sure does have its differences bro.. why dont u come down to sgtooling and have a feeling of both..

Comment

Sure, thanks. I will head down to sgtooling to have a look.

Comment

Hey all! i went down to sg tooling this afternoon. I went with the dremel though... ok, so heres my first thought of the tool itself, the casing feels very solid, the rubber grips feels quite nice and pretty compact. I asked the shopkeeper for the comparison between the dremel 3000 and the proxxon model closest to it. so according to him, dremel has higher wattage, higher rpm, more powerful less precise. proxxon has lower wattage, lower rpm, not as powerful as the dremel but more precise. seems like both has its own strenghts and weaknesses. For now, the dremel is on promotion, $79 together with 15pcs accessories pack. it really make sense to buy the dremel unless mostly going to do really high precision stuff like engraving so on.

here is just a quick little unboxing
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-27 18.27.45.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	975852Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-27 18.28.53.jpg
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	975853Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-27 18.29.50.jpg