Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F5j

This thread to share F5J info.

F5J is a class of thermal soaring that is getting very popular, as its a very simple format and allows gliders of all types and class to participate, no need for high powered and expensive motors/escs.

Goal :
    -Last 10 mins in the sky with one motor run. (15mins in finals)
    -Spot landing

There is a 10 minute window for a flight. Within that window you are allowed 1 continuous motor run that must not be longer than 30 seconds (a electronic device will cut the power at 30 seconds if the pilot has not already done so). The maximum altitude the model reaches, during the period from launch until 10 seconds after switching off the motor, will automatically be recorded by said electronic device and used for scoring.

Flight time will be recorded from launch (when model leaves hand of starter, but not before the start of the 10 minute window) to landing (when model touches the ground or any other object or at the end of the 10 minute window), each second yielding one point (600 max in theory).

The landing must not be outside of the 10 minute window (or it will not be scored, overflying more than 1 minute results in a zero score for that flight), and will score 50 points if within one meter of the designed landing spot, 45 within 2m and so on.

The altitude recorded is used to determine the "height penalty" : 0.5pt per meter is taken from the score for each meter up to 200m, 3 points per meter are subtracted for each meter above 200m. A perfect flight from a 200 m starting height would thus yield 600+50-(.5*200)= 550 points. If you go for 100m starting height, you could get 600 points.A 300 m starting height would only score 600+50- (.5*200+3*100) = 250

The aim is to use minimum launch height needed to achieve the 10 minutes, and this is a matter of fine judgement since there is only one motor run. It sounds really simple yes it is, but at the same time, its also quite challenging with different strategies for different kind of conditions. Give it a try when you go out to the field next time.
    www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
    www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Is the altitude known during flight?

Looks like the caller's duty is super important in F5J.

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
    BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

You mean the recorded height (maximum attitude from launch to 10s after motor stop)? nope , the starting height is only read off the logger at the end of the flight, there is no telemetry allowed. Its up to the pilot and caller's judgement and tactics to maneuver to how high and where at the start. The logger is placed between the receiver and the ESC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	logger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	975058

Yap the caller is important to help spot lift , keep time, look out for other competitors planes.

Comment

The logger we used is the Altis V4, pretty neat device. Very small footprint, comes with LCD display so that can read the height off directly. After downloading the logs into the comp, the software provides lots of info too besides just altitude, temp, throttle, volts, climb rate, sink rate,etc.

The rules measure the max altitude up to 10sec after power off, this is to prevent "zooming".

Some interesting logs from our flights in Wilga.

My First or 2nd flight, started at too low height, searched , hit sink , game over in less than 3mins

Name:	wilga data1.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	975060

Vincent's , spotted thermal and launched straight into it. he had a good time up there.

Name:	wilga cup2.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	975061

Started high, searched, nothing, maybe something, nope, again, at less than 50m caught a small one, struggled, struggle, hooked up one good one save the day.

Name:	wilga cup.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	975062

The pro pilots were starting much lower, some of them started as low as 70m. Sebastjan told us his record was 1 second motor run, 11m if i rem correctly, amazing those guys.

Last edited by Pang; 31-05-2013, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Comes with practise and with a good eye to spot thermals. Wish I could improve my thermal spotting abilities but.... haiz....

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
          BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

I caught a thermal with my 2 meter espadita today and almost specked out. The feeling of catching a thermal by a glider I never thought is possible, is indescribable by words.

Comment

Sherchoo, yeah more practice n also observing the surroundings, trees, grass, wind, clouds, flags,insects, birds.

Legionx, . Yeah, when you catch a big one, you be hooked for more. I remember my first feel of thermal was with my first e glider , the easystar during the marina south days, it just went up higher n higher without power.

Espadita is good plane, keep the weight down n use 1-2mm of camber, it shld be good.

Comment

Working...
              X