Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to fly a NORMAL kite

sigh. was bored and out of batteries for my rc plane so i decided to try my hand at flying a normal kite.

problem was, after i fixed it with 18 led lights and 2 AA batts, i arranged the cg to match the original kite without anything on it, but it seems too heavy to work. my electronics weigh 120 grms +-

my kite is approx 1.5m x 1 m like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9QphPLeCma...0/IMG_0633.JPG
    (picture is from the blog shop. not my own)

but it's not fair i see pple at marina barrage flying kites which have more leds than me.

who ever said flying kites was easy. hope someone can advice. thanks!
    "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
    E-starter (GWS) - On "Fire", Trainer, -Sold
    SPITFIRE (GWS) - On "Fire", -Sold
    T-45 Goshhawk 64 mm EDF - Lift-off!
    UAV Scratch Build Ver1.1 - It flies! -Sold
    Mini Cessna scratch build - fun!
    F330 Quadcopter W/KK2 V1.5 - Finally Tuned!
    Charger- Turnigy AC6
    sigpic

wa!
    AA batts are damn heavy !
    Try button cells without resistors
    Helis
    Logo 500 3D

Once upon a time , there were frequency pins , flybars and nitros...

Comment

hey, mate, how bout 1 cell lipos, they should be good
      "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

alright i'll check it out. thanks! yea 2AA kinda heavy.

i suppose cg would affect quite abit on the kite's flight? anyone know the dynamics of it?
        "To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly is everything."- Otto Lilienthal

"To fly a plane, a pilot must have cool brains and hot hands!"- Dennis John De Witt

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
        Charger- Turnigy AC6
        sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Not sure if i can explain this properly by try this

1. Do the following ground check. Hold the kite with your back facing the wind. the wind must always come from you back. you can hear/feel it with your ears.

2. then hold your kite up and see if it balanced correctly at the pivot point. (ie where your string ties to the connecting strings of the kite. )

Try moving up/down to see where optimal cg so that the kite wants to fly up and then make sure you tie knot at that cg location.

Originally posted by aeronautical View Post
          alright i'll check it out. thanks! yea 2AA kinda heavy.

i suppose cg would affect quite abit on the kite's flight? anyone know the dynamics of it?

Comment

sounds logical! great thanks! but mine is a fixed pivot point where the string goes on the kite. (it's those ready built kinda kite)

can i play around with the cg of the battery?

also, what do you mean by 'hold your kite up and see if it balanced correctly at the pivot point' would the kite be lifting off on it's own level to the ground? thanks!

Fubata 7C 2.4 + T6XAs
            Charger- Turnigy AC6
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, hold the kite with your back against the wind to see if the kite is balanced on the fixed point. You may need to punch another hole if it not balanced correctly.

The difference between kite and plane is that in kite, you try to obtain more equal weight distribution across the kite surface area so it is more balanced because you cant "control" the wind forces acting on the kite.

Take for example a heavy weight at the cg of the kite vs an equal weight distributed kite both are balance at the cg. . If the wind distribution is not equal on the kite, the cg will cause to heavy weight kite to react more strongly (hence less control) than the equal weight kite.

Originally posted by aeronautical View Post
              sounds logical! great thanks! but mine is a fixed pivot point where the string goes on the kite. (it's those ready built kinda kite)

can i play around with the cg of the battery?

also, what do you mean by 'hold your kite up and see if it balanced correctly at the pivot point' would the kite be lifting off on it's own level to the ground? thanks!

Comment

hmmm

bro i have exactly the same kite before. it can only take off with strong wind if u r adding lighting system. even w/o the light sys, it need moderate wind to take off. the tail itself is adding weight but it has to be there, otherwise the kite will always wanna sway from side to side. my suggest is if u wanna use lights for night kiteing, get those 2m ws and above. it has more lift.

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X