Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FPV safety - VTX frequency deconflict

Traditionally we power on the transmitter then the receiver to ensure positive control.

At cd field, I was Fpv airborne with a miniquad on 5.8G when I encountered video interference. Triggered rth and landed line of sight and switched off my gear for safety without incident.

The interference was traced to another craft operating on an alternate frequency CH1 and CH 2 on fatshark/immersion.

Similar to the FM rules of flight, it is essential to check and deconflICT Fpv frequencies.

Please power on vrx and check if there is conflict. If there is video image, do change vtx channel or do not fly for safety.

I've long since given up on CDF frequency discipline. It's like nobody remembers then 24/72MHz days. I haven't been able to chase my regular kaki for months now because everyone just goes there and floods the band however they want. Rammed my multicopters at high speed into the ground and mud a few times. It's not worth it.

Some points to add on.

First, don't just turn on your vrx and look at your frequency. Scan through them all.

Second, even if there is no video image when you scan, that says nothing about what your transmitter will do to the other person's receiver. Fatshark / immersionRC gear can only scroll through the following: 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, and 5860MHz. If the other person is on a boscam band in between, for e.g. at 5750, and he is flying right now, you likely won't receive a clear image from him (because he's some distance away and you aren't quite on the peak) and you will assume the band is clear. But when you power up you will wipe him out.

Third, stop buying 600mW VTXes and overcrowding the available spectrum. You know 600mW can go how freaking far!??! Even 200mW is far too much power for CDF. The tendency for people is, the moment their video gets a bit noisy they will buy a spanking new overpowered VTX and slap it on their plane. But this will just raise the general noise floor of the area and make it miserable for every other person on 5.8GHz. Protip: if you cannot go from one corner of CDF to another corner of CDF (about 600m) with a 200mW transmitter, there is something seriously, seriously wrong with your setup. Learn to fix it.

Fourth, if someone is up and flying before you are, for goodness' sake, don't power up your transmitter, wait for him to land and talk to the guy to get your frequencies sorted out. If he's flying a plane and will be a while, politely ask.

Fifth, if you are flying FPV and someone asks you about frequency sharing, don't be a selfish ****, take the time to land and sort it out.

Sixth, if your flight doesn't require your FPV gear to be turned on, don't turn it on. What's the point of hovering your multicopter in the middle of the field (or, more recently, at the side of the road over the pavement), staring open mouth at it while it blasts out 5.8G noise as you test altitude and position hold for 30 minutes?!? Other people rely on the band to fly. You want to selfishly crowd them out? Don't think I dunno, I'm one of those tuned in, looking at your sandals and waiting for my turn.

But, all of that being said, I know that nothing will change. Everyone is more interested in how entitled they are to do whatever they want. Remauled, if you find that this is an issue, better to stick to your LOS stuff or fly somewhere else.

Comment

Seventh, if you are a flying a DJI Phantom and think its cool, go fk yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by djinoob View Post
        i like you....
        "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by djinoob View Post
          Much as I hate to concur but methinks u r spot on.
          Heli-ADDICTION:
          Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
          JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Not sure why you guys would expend energy hating on a product.

Products are just products.

People's use of the products is what you should be concerned about.

Comment

True. It's just that Phantom pilots are already stereotyped the world over as noobs who are more likely to do stupid things with their craft than any other group of rc pilots. They are usually the kind who flies exclusively on GPS mode, has no clue how to fly manual and deal with flyaways, and perhaps may have less insight on the technical workings of their craft, and radio frequency in general.

Comment

Nice to see some old birds (no pun intended) talking about FPV. I only started about 6months back, so see if can learn something from the discussions here?

Originally posted by rayonnair View Post
                First: Depending on ur gear, u may not have access to the other frequencies.

Second: Any suggestion how to prevent this. I usually switch on my RX and point the directional antenna 360degree to see if anyone is on the same freq. Beyond that, its hard to determine if anyone is on a close by band. (PS, my RX does have 32 channels. but no auto scan, just jumpers)

Third: Agree on the video TX power. High power draws more power and generate more heat, but doesn't add as much range. Better to get better antennas/diversity/etc.

Fourth: Given the size of the field, it may not be possible to see if someone on the other side of the field is FPVing. I have sorted out freqs with the regular ppl i run into at my side of the field, but flyers on the other sides of the field not so.

Fifth: Sounds good, plus can make a new friend and flying kaki or 2.
                It is hard to control what other people do. Better to be prepared for when something wipes out your signal. So some suggestions:

1) Conduct a test flight. Use the first flight of the day to test out equipment and craft, check for freq interferences, range and/or equipment malfunctions
                2) Get a spotter, who can help u switch between FPV and LOS.

My 2 cents.
                Current Hangar Occupants

Planes
                UM T-28 Brushed & Brushless modded
                UMX Mig 15 & Habu
                Radjet 420
                Rarebear Fun Fighter
                Mini Skywalker
                GWS E-Starter

Helis
                Scratchbuild Mini Tri-copter
                DJI Flamewheel 330