Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner wants to learn

Hi

I am a newbie in rc airplane and wants to learn to fly. Any suggestion how to go abt it? I believe I shld start with electric airplane right? Where ro get it and what model is recommended for newbie? And whats the cost too?

After purchase where can u fly my plane? Where are the spots and when u guys fly in singapore?

Thanks

Hi,

There are several options you can choose. No fixed learning route. Whichever you choose, is really up to your own preference. I list some:
    Buddy
    1. Electric highwing trainer like the estarter which can be bought from rotor hobby shop. very cheap.($100~)
    2. Online purchase like bixler glider or buy Skysurfer from Local Hobby Shops.($150~)
    3. Nitro trainer like .30 mentor can also be found, if you like NitroMethane fueled planes.(about $300~)
    (for these options, get a buddy to buddy cable with you so that if u lost orientation, he can take over)

Solo:
    4. Simulator like Pheonix sim, download and practice solo at home.($150~)
    5. Buy a ultra micro like champ or j3cub crash and learn, then crash somemore. ($150~)

All of the cost above does not include cost of radio remote controller, batteries etc. Its only cost of planes
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Hi rTan,

Im also a newbie as you... Just bought my 1st RC plane on 27/07/2013. I bought "HobbyZone Champ" from "RCS Singapore". Just google it and u can find the shop.

Champ, is easy to fly... though there are many things for me to learn 1st... getting to fly is easy but flying it well can be hard too.

I was influenced by "RCAirTrainingCommand" (they have YouTube Channel and Facebook account). They explain really well in their videos... go google and do your homework.

One thing bad about Champ or Trainer plane in general is that it cant fly in windy area... Really cant fly straight.... but it can save your pocket from those crashes...

Comment

Hi Ah yong

Did u buy the simulator and practice on computer 1st before flying the real plane? How much does ur plane cost for the whole set? Is it ready to fly type?

Comment

Every person will be different it all depends upon how much money do you have to invest in the hobby. My personal experience simulator works the best for a newbie. You will save a lot of money if you go this route. Perfect your skill there first. Fly different planes/helis get an experience of what it is like to fly in turbulent windy conditions. Once you flay different types of planes you will know what you like the most. Once ready go buy your first kit. (Potentially a glider or something else, it all depends on how comfortable you are in the SIm and what your pocket can afford)

Also ensure that you have changed the flight conditions in the SIM for getting a feel for the real thing, it is pretty close to reality. I would say very very close. When you are ready and are about to buy your kit. Come back to the forum , read up the internet and check out the videos on you tube and vimeo. if you want to stay longer and enjoy the hobby at less cost and avoid disappointment this is one of the ways that works best.

Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by rtan17 View Post
          Hi Ah yong

Did u buy the simulator and practice on computer 1st before flying the real plane? How much does ur plane cost for the whole set? Is it ready to fly type?

Comment

hi rtan. I din get simulator at all. I went to watch youyube video instead. maybe I still trying to fly basic cycle and figure 8. doing it with champ is quite easy.

but if u talk abt roll and inverted flights. not sure if sim is recommended. just decide and start first, that is for me

Comment

Hi

I went to enquire for a beginner plane and was quoted abt $400-$500 for j-power sky surfer glider inclusive of transmitter. Is it that expensive for a beginner plane? I tot it cost like not more than $300 for a complete set ready to fly. Pls advise. I will be visiting more shops during this long weekend to check out more prices.

Comment

Which rc shop you go to bro ? Aerosmith hobby in fook hai only sell the sky surfer rtr at $198 . My friend bought one there last yr . But i think currently they don't have the stock . But you can check with them when will stock come in . But the transmitter included in the rtr can only be used for the rtr sky surfer only . You can't use it for other planes unless you transfer the receiver over . Jet hobby also got sell the sky surfer but its only pnp ( plug n play ) but i can't remember the price though .

Comment

I went to jet hobby. No transmitter is include and got to buy transmitter therefore after including the guy told me $400-$500. I think it's quite steep. I tot those pnp set comes with transmitter and cost less than $300? Going to fook hai and take a look during the PH.

Comment

Bro , pnp usually means you have to get your own transmitter , receiver n battery . Jethobby sell quite a few professional grade transmitter . If he quote you those , then its correct cos those are not cheap but they allow you to have many programmable functions with multiple model memory . Only rtr set include transmitter n receiver . I'm not sure abt the battery though , some include 1 battery in their package . And those transmitter that are included in those rtr have almost no other " software functions " like model memory , aileron adjustment , mixing n etc . But well ... put it this way , different price for different " package " lol . The rest is up to how much budget you have already .

Comment

Originally posted by rtan17 View Post
                      I went to jet hobby. No transmitter is include and got to buy transmitter therefore after including the guy told me $400-$500. I think it's quite steep. I tot those pnp set comes with transmitter and cost less than $300? Going to fook hai and take a look during the PH.
                      Don't spend too much yet, especially when starting out. You don't know yet if you'd want to stay with the new hobby or you're just curious and the interest could go away. For a rock solid transmitter that's not going to burn your pocket, checkout the Turnigy 9XR/FrSky combo. Someone happens to be selling that in the marketplace. That'll be $150 (all in), or lesser if the seller gives you a better deal. Update the Tx firmware with the latest OpenTx version.

As for your plane, get something cheap and durable, because you will crash. It's inevitable in the hobby, especially for newbies.

Comment

First, look for experience flyer that will guide and help you get started. Go visit a field near your place and talk to the flyers in the field and make friends.
                        Second, get your gadgets up. Start with cheap stuffs first, getting a worthy used items here in the forum will be best for you.
                        - Fly Slow and Easy, Enjoy Flying and share the FUN -

Comment

Have an experience flyer setup and trim your plane before u fly.

If your transmitter allows , set up Dual rates for easy and intermediate flight

Comment

I am starting to learn too... Just bought a Turnigy 9X and plan to hook it up to simulator at first. Maybe after a month I get a plane to try real flying.

Was thinking of getting the Trainstar Tough Trainer ... Is it recommended ? Can I source this plane from a local shop ?

Comment

I'm new to RC airplane as well, just started to learn in May this year. May I suggest the following model from Hobby King for beginners:
                              Micro Light Aircraft 2.4Ghz Airplane w/ 2.4Ghz Ready-2-Fly. With shipping cost included, I paid S$90 for this beginner's airplane. It's a high wing 3 channels airplane which is suitable for beginners. it's durable, I already have several crashes & it still fly like a bird. This is a complete package with everything you need included, it takes only 5 minutes to put together, charge the batt & you are ready to fly. Don't even need a simulator.

In my opinion, shops in Fook Hai or Jet Hobby are very expensive. Jet Hobby is the most among all. They do not sell any RTF airplanes. You need to buy the transmitter separately which could cost S$200 - 300, not worth it for a beginner. Heed my advice, go to get this plane from Hobby King: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12106.

You will not regret.

Comment

Working...
                              X