Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hasegawa F-104G Starfighter "MarineFlieger"

I decided to separate this topic out of my "Hasegawa Desert Harrier" thread for clarity and simplicity.

This is the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104G Starflighter with "MarineFlieger" decals.

The actual plane was used by the West German Navy for anti-shipping missions.

Dry Fitting The Plane

I started cutting out the main parts and dryfitted it to see what am I getting myself into. (This aircraft is long.....)

F104Gwip01 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Now you can see why F-104 is called "missile with a man in it".

F104G by Sprigaan, on Flickr

This is one of Hasegawa's better kits; the flaps and leading edge are positionable and since this will be a parked bird, the flaps will be down.

Untitled by Sprigaan, on Flickr

The Cockpit

Applied some color PE from Eduard (Zoom) on the cockpit panels. First time I am using pre-colored self adhesive PE from Eduard. So far to good. Can see I have other stuff to add on later.

F-104G by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Hand painted the basic colors on the seat and touch up the instrument panels. Also hand painted the intakes and other parts using Vallejo acrylic paint.

F-104G by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Finally the cockpit is done

F-104G WIP by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Comment

Hi Foofighter,

Didn't know there are coloured PE parts like the ones you use for the cockpit. Where did you get that from?

Thanks
      JS

Comment

Ok did some preshading work today for my Starfighter... and Prowler too.. but that's another story later...

Starfighter & Prowler by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Primed and put on a base coat of Gunze 307 on the whole plane yesterday and after a full day left to dry, I started masking the plane for second color.

Starfighter by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Bottom View

Closup

Comment

I ordered online from Luckymodel.

Originally posted by jsec1992 View Post
          Hi Foofighter,

Didn't know there are coloured PE parts like the ones you use for the cockpit. Where did you get that from?

Thanks
          JS

Comment

Pushing on.. This round its the upper fuselage that is to be painted and I decided to mix my own paint since I wanted a faded bird.

I started with a 1:1 mix of Gunze 72 and 337 for the initial coat. The end result wasn't what I expected. It felt too blue.

So I added afew drops of dark sea grey into the mix and started to do something for the first time; post shading.

I sprayed on the panel lines of the wings for starters and liked what I see. So I decided to do the rest of the aircraft (upper fuselage).

Finally after 2 solid hours, this is where I am now.

After stepping back and looking at the bird again, I feel that the upper fuselage color is too bluish. Will have to find sometime to take out my 0.2mm airbrush and do some shading using neutral grey color.

Thanks for reading, comments are welcomed.

Anyway I am doing this color scheme for my F-104G. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germa...db2851898a4b3d

Thanks for reading, comments welcomed :P

Comment

Wow Pete, this is really daunting! Well done! Can you airbrush my 3m glider?

Comment

Originally posted by msc View Post
                Wow Pete, this is really daunting! Well done! Can you airbrush my 3m glider?
                Bro I would need a big open space outside to do that. My spraybooth too small for your glider lah

Comment

Another update; took me about an hour plus to mask the various parts for painting. By the time I could start, I already felt tired.

I only managed to paint the nose cone white and also applied white to the other parts in preparation for the other colors later.

The paint masks are finally off! The orange on the wing tip tanks turned out as I expected it to be. Fantastic

I used gunze orange yellow and then clear orange if you are asking :P

Comment

I can smell the end is coming or is it the thinner?... I attached the landing gears and bay doors on Sunday.

This where I am now; minor details are hand painted and next step is to find time to do gloss coat to protect the paint job and then apply decals!

Thanks for reading!

Comment

This is awesome! I applaud your painting skills!

Comment

Originally posted by _zachary_63 View Post
                        This is awesome! I applaud your painting skills!
                        Thank you for he compliment

Comment

Originally posted by FooFighter View Post
                          Thank you for he compliment
                          Haha no prob U deserve it man!

Comment

After working on it on and off for afew days and more than 60 individual decals later.. here's where I am:

There's some silvering of the decals but I have yet to put on the two Misters (Softener & Setter) yet. Will continue to work on the decals and hopefully this weekend can do pin wash!

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Nice work there. Make me feel like fixing up those model kits which have been stashed away for years.

Keep the pics coming.

Cheers
                              TB

Comment

Working...
                              X