Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDF Long EZ

Finally completed the retro EDF mod on My old Long EZ.

Plane : Long EZ from Jet hobby
    Powerplant: 2025-4300 KV Tamazho from SHS
    Fan: Hyperflow 56mm EDF from NTC
    Battery: 2200 MAH Dualsky 25C
    Fan cowling: GWS A-10

Looks correct. However no part of the intake has an unobstructed forward facing section. As such there will not be any ram recovery with fwd speed. Decided to test flight this way to see if it is good enough, otherwise will built a forward facing annular intake around the fuse.

Modifications carried out includes: a) Change the elevator rods, the stock one is not suitable. b) Nose wheel steering with an independent servo. c) big cut down of aft fuselage to adopt edf. d) Additional fin on edf cowl...just for the fun of it...

Will post flight test results...

cheers.

wow, very nicely done. Hope she flies well.

Comment

Plane remaiden today with EDF hyperflow 56mm, 4300 KV tamazho on 3S....
      Flew nicely and more power than the propeller set up...

Comment

the video...

Comment

Hi, can I know how you did the EDF assembly? Like where you got the foam tube to house it?
          "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Hi Vortices, congratulation on the EDF converted carnard sucessful flight.

Enjoy the video shot very much.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm
              Hi, can I know how you did the EDF assembly? Like where you got the foam tube to house it?

Hi. the edf duct is a GWS a-10 duct that was lying around doing nothing. Built a foam/aluminium exhaust plug. The aluminium parts acts as a heat sink too. The duct is available in GWS shop as spare parts, it is only 3.50 SGD for 2 halves. Very handy for 55/56mm edf. I used them on my Lear 45 and Long EZ. Unfortunately, I think it is not available in Singapore.

cheers

Comment

I assume that the foam / aluminum exhaust plug is the thing sticking out of tube right? Did you carve it out?
                "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

yup. It is quite neccessary for 3s on anything more than 4000 kv, motor runs hot. Bought the foam rod from bra basah complex , sand to taper.

cheers

Comment

Nice one. Looks like only some cosmetic changes are needed to turn it to an Ares.

Comment

HI
                      May I know will there be overheating problem on EDF motor? With a 3 - 4000kv motor spinning, lotta heat must be generating right?

Comment

I have been flying it for sometime now. At least 30 cycle by now. Still running strong. It can be quite warm but the integral heat sink works well. But i do run at minimal idle on the ground for 5 minutes afetr every flight to dissipate the heat. I will be building another one soon with a 4S set up.

Its getting fun. Now I couple elevator and flaps. A lot more aerobatic. Landing speed is very slow and max speed is quite amazing. No flutter observed. Doing circuit on this plane is really fun!

I think the plane is back in stock with Jet. Will pick one up next time down there. Also bought more A-10 GWS ductings. So will update this thread with Jet EZ v2 soon.

The set up is much the same except, 3200 KV 300W on 4S 2200 25C 25a esc.

cheers

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I do have a Long EZ balsa type. Maybe should try EDF on that

Comment

Working...
                          X