Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mode 1 or Mode 2?

Hi, I'm looking to start this hobby and after reading the advice of forummers here, decided to begin with a simulator. However, must start with decision on tx mode 1 or mode 2.
    After a forum search, found a survey showing slightly more mode 1 than mode 2 users. And I thought mode 2 is more intuitive since cyclics are on the same stick as for a real heli. Maybe it is different piloting from third person's perspective so that's why more prefer mode 1?

Would any kind souls like to share your personal reasons why you choose the mode you use? was it a deliberate decision or you just stumbled into it?

Thanks in advance from a complete newbie!

Originally posted by room2vroom
    Hi, I'm looking to start this hobby and after reading the advice of forummers here, decided to begin with a simulator. However, must start with decision on tx mode 1 or mode 2.
    After a forum search, found a survey showing slightly more mode 1 than mode 2 users. And I thought mode 2 is more intuitive since cyclics are on the same stick as for a real heli. Maybe it is different piloting from third person's perspective so that's why more prefer mode 1?

Would any kind souls like to share your personal reasons why you choose the mode you use? was it a deliberate decision or you just stumbled into it?

Thanks in advance from a complete newbie!

i didnt even know thr were different modes before i got my first tx lol
    actually i borrowed Real Flight G3 from a friend and the tx on it was mode2, which is pretty much the reason i fly mode2...

(oh and if u fly planes with mode2 u can launch with left hand while controlling elevator and ailerions wit right hand...)

just my 2cents

cheers
    shmuckerz

Comment

When I got my Mode 2 Optic 6 TX, I thought that was the general norm - I didn't consult any heli flyers as I didn't know any at that time. The reason why I chose Mode 2 was that it corresponeded to the controls in a full scale heli (one stick controlled the cyclic and one stick controlled the collective and power)

However, when I met the first group of flyers, they commented that I will face problems getting training help from others as most of the local flyers are using Mode 1.

I wonder if Mode 1 is more popular in S'pore and what is the reason behind this.

Swashhead

Comment

In Asian country configuration, it is default to be Mode 1. Why mode 1? Maybe because of Futaba and JR are from Japan and as u know, Sony playstation or Japan made gaming devices are all control on the left.

In U.S. and I think Europe also, their default configuration is Mode 2.

Me used to play computer game aircraft simulation with U.S. made HOTAS sticks and so I prefer Mode 2. For me, Mode 2 is like real aircraft.

I think 1 or 2 years ago, if u ask this question, I think majority will be mode 1. Now, if u ask this question, number of Mode 2 flyer has increase rapidly.

(Note: HOTAS stand for Hand On Throttle And Stick. It is Right hand with control/cyclic stick and left hand is the throttle/collective stick)

SH

Comment

I thought the last round poll mode 2 and mode 1 got about the same amount?

Comment

Mode 2 flier here too! I find mode 2 much easier.

Comment

ya. Mode 2 should be easier because when playing rc cars the stick tx usually throttle on left side so I got used to throttle on left side even before I started flying planes.

Comment

It's really a matter of personal preference and getting used to. Personally I prefer mode 2 as I find it more natural for me. mode 2 is also more similar to full-scale aircraft controls whereby the control column (joystick or yoke) controls the pitching (elevator) and rolling (aileron) just like the right stick on your mode2 transmitter. The throttle quardrant is controlled using the other hand and the yawing (rudder) by the foot pedals in full-scale aircraft which is replicated by the left stick on a mode 2 TX.

Comment

I beg to differ but if your arguement was true, then everybody in Asia would be using Mode 3!

What I believe is Mode 1/4 is more suitable for airplane and mode 2/3 is more suitable for heli.

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                  In Asian country configuration, it is default to be Mode 1. Why mode 1? Maybe because of Futaba and JR are from Japan and as u know, Sony playstation or Japan made gaming devices are all control on the left.

In U.S. and I think Europe also, their default configuration is Mode 2.

Me used to play computer game aircraft simulation with U.S. made HOTAS sticks and so I prefer Mode 2. For me, Mode 2 is like real aircraft.

I think 1 or 2 years ago, if u ask this question, I think majority will be mode 1. Now, if u ask this question, number of Mode 2 flyer has increase rapidly.

(Note: HOTAS stand for Hand On Throttle And Stick. It is Right hand with control/cyclic stick and left hand is the throttle/collective stick)

SH
                  F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
                  F5D Stratair Demon
                  F5D Jibe
                  Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
                  Voodoo S400
                  Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
                  La Racer 56

Comment

personal preference
                    [B]Kenny[/B]

Goblin 700 | Goblin 500 | Compass 6HV

Unthinkable, unimaginable, incredible, beyond conception and beyond the bounds of possibility!

Comment

I can fly a Heli in either Mode 1 or 2

.......But I can't for the life in me fly an Airplane in mode 2 !!!
                      Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Ghostfit, can you please comment on the differences in flying heli using Mode 1 and Mode 2. For example, which mode is easier to master hovering in all orientations and to master aggressive maneuvers.

Swashhead

Comment

I fly Mode 3 on Heli. no kidding.

On planes, I can fly mode 2 or mode 3.

Most people fly the mode that they were first introduced in. For me, I got a mode 1 radio, but my mind cannot relate to having the aileron and elevator (cyclic for helis) disjointed to different sticks. So, I reconfigured my radio to have all the primary controls (cyclic) on the left, and kept the throttle and rudder on the right.

I later went on to find out that this configuration was indeed mode 3, and that my radio had a setting to do it, without changing the connectors on the receiver.
                          On Duty

DJI Phantom 2 with GoPro
                          Dynam Hawker Tempest
                          Alfa F4U Corsair

Comment

I will stick to mode 2 if you're already into it. It's a more natural progression if you want to fly full-scale choppers in future.

As I wrote earlier, I fly mode 3, and I've stuck to it. Tried changing to mode 1 and 2 before, but gave up in frustration.

When I got my PPL, I was still flying 'mode 3' but inside the cockpit.

Originally posted by Swashhead
                            However, when I met the first group of flyers, they commented that I will face problems getting training help from others as most of the local flyers are using Mode 1.
                            Swashhead
                            On Duty

DJI Phantom 2 with GoPro
                            Dynam Hawker Tempest
                            Alfa F4U Corsair

Comment

OT:
                              Originally posted by shmuckerz

(oh and if u fly planes with mode2 u can launch with left hand while controlling elevator and ailerions wit right hand...)

just my 2cents

cheers
                              shmuckerz
                              I didn't know I should do that.... no wonder so many near-crashes!!! I always launch with right hand....

Back to Topic: I use Mode 2. Personal preference. When I started out, a lot of the people i could seek help from all used Mode 1. However, I couldn't get comfortable on the first microheli I tried on Mode 1. Mode 2 was a lot easier for me... Also, if you want to be in the hobby business, it's best you know more than 1 mode, so you can help more people

Comment

Working...
                              X