Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RJX 8mm head on the raptor- A few questions

Got a rjx head from a brother here...trying to fit it onto a raptor.

Main shaft works out fine and after a night of effort, I have got the head on the heli. Ran into a few minor problems. Need some advice.

1. Ball links

Are the ball links on the rjx a hair smaller than raptor's? The very very short linkage that connects the mixer arm on the blade grip to the flybar carrier is non-adjustable?

2. Paddles

Generally what paddles are preferred? I am using the Align 4mm CF paddles off my 700N now. Looks a little too big and am afraid it might "over power" the blades. Got some plastic paddles to recommend? Prefer snappy(but not overly) paddles that tracks well in ff. Raptor 4mm plastic paddles ok?

3. What holes on the mixer arm?

From what I have done and measured, using the most responsive setting for all holes, I get +/15collective and 9++degree of cyclic...probably due to a slightly smaller swash on the raptor. Moved the balls on the head to give +/-13 collective and +/-8 cyclic. Initially I wanted to use the most responsive settings and just adjust the servo throw(since mechanical mix always have more resolution, so epa not really that critical compared to eccpm).

However, the rjx manual states that using the most responsive hole can strip plastic gear servos...and that is on a eccpm machine where load is divided be 3 on to each servo...my question is what are the chances of me stripping the servos on my raptor with the most reponsive setting for every hole?

4. The jesus bolt.

How tight is this suppose to be? It clamps the head onto the main shaft to prevent wobbling, which means its got be be real tight? But yet I thought such high risk critical bolts should not be over tighten to prevent failure. How tight should it be?

sigpic

BTW...some photos...

RJX main shaft bolt hole to tip of shaft distance is 1cm, on the raptor 0.8, so a raptor shaft clears the head, which is why I decided on this conversion.
    From RJX head mod

How the head came...

From RJX head mod

From RJX head mod

From RJX head mod

From RJX head mod

Align paddles. While it doesn't seem to look so in the photo, its actually slightly larger than the super stubz(4105). A tiny bit shorter, but a whole lot wider. Its heavier though, because its not hollow like the stubz.
    From RJX head mod

My current mixer arm setting.
    From RJX head mod

sigpic

Comment

Wah you damn fast lol. Like me obsessed with getting things done. Buy today, fly tomorrow minimum lol.
      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
        Wah you damn fast lol. Like me obsessed with getting things done. Buy today, fly tomorrow minimum lol.
        Sat in front of heli from 7pm to 12am last night just to get the linkages and blade pitch right. Haven't fly yet, still need blade bolts and need to change the washout hub screw to button head.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baby_zyklon View Post
          Got a rjx head from a brother here...trying to fit it onto a raptor.

Main shaft works out fine and after a night of effort, I have got the head on the heli. Ran into a few minor problems. Need some advice.

1. Ball links

Are the ball links on the rjx a hair smaller than raptor's? The very very short linkage that connects the mixer arm on the blade grip to the flybar carrier is non-adjustable?

2. Paddles

Generally what paddles are preferred? I am using the Align 4mm CF paddles off my 700N now. Looks a little too big and am afraid it might "over power" the blades. Got some plastic paddles to recommend? Prefer snappy(but not overly) paddles that tracks well in ff. Raptor 4mm plastic paddles ok?

3. What holes on the mixer arm?

From what I have done and measured, using the most responsive setting for all holes, I get +/15collective and 9++degree of cyclic...probably due to a slightly smaller swash on the raptor. Moved the balls on the head to give +/-13 collective and +/-8 cyclic. Initially I wanted to use the most responsive settings and just adjust the servo throw(since mechanical mix always have more resolution, so epa not really that critical compared to eccpm).

However, the rjx manual states that using the most responsive hole can strip plastic gear servos...and that is on a eccpm machine where load is divided be 3 on to each servo...my question is what are the chances of me stripping the servos on my raptor with the most reponsive setting for every hole?

4. The jesus bolt.

How tight is this suppose to be? It clamps the head onto the main shaft to prevent wobbling, which means its got be be real tight? But yet I thought such high risk critical bolts should not be over tighten to prevent failure. How tight should it be?
          yo

1) i was flying the head with TT raptor 50 links, no problems. the short link is adjustable i think, u want the mixing arm on the grip and the long arm at 90 i believe. i think u got the set up right lah looking at ur pic.

2) i was flying super stubz 4mm. superb! wait.. u have my super stubz.. LOL

3) i was flying with the most responsive set-up all the way, but i was on eCCPM. for ur raptor setup i cant say for sure. only 1 way to tell.. fly it lor.. i was on metal gear servos still though.

4) i always tighten the jesus bolt till the head cant move on the shaft. even on my RJX flybarless now. no issues i guess, but i dun push the heli as hard as you lah.

quick get ur scews, fly ur raptor tmr!

450 PRO - Phoenixtech Scorpion 2221-8, Castle Creations Phoenix 35, Hitec HS65HB cyclic, Futaba 9650 tail, (hanger)

MA Furion 6 - Savox 5055 560KV, Castle Creations ICE 80HV, Turnigy 959MG cyclic, HK47110MG tail, Castle Creations BEC pro, BeastX

MA Fury55 - OS55HZ + Outrage EVO55 pipe, HS5625MG cyclic, Spartan + HK47110MG, Align 2 in 1, Align Governor.

Kasama - Savox 5065 550KV, Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV, HK47110MB tail, Hitec 7985MG cyclic, BeastX

Comment

Found a new problem. At max negative and max cyclic, my flybar cannot teeter/rock on one side, like binding, but cannot find any rod binding leh. Is this normal of the head? Or is it the travel of the swash too much?

Max cyclic+not so much collective= flybar can teeter full travel both side

Max collective + a little cyclic= flybar can teeter full travel both side

Max collective + max cyclic= flybar can only do full travel one side, but the other side very limited.

Normal? Not normal? Any input?

sigpic

Comment

Edit. Full collective+full cyclic= cannot get full travel of flybar both side. The one side was because I only connect the linkage rod for the grip on one side just now.

sigpic

Comment

yo

did u use the washout arm from raptor? cause i think RJX washout mixer arm very short one. might be the cause of your binding?

anw do tell if u get it to work. i very interested to see if the flight characteristics change alot.

cheers!

450 PRO - Phoenixtech Scorpion 2221-8, Castle Creations Phoenix 35, Hitec HS65HB cyclic, Futaba 9650 tail, (hanger)

MA Furion 6 - Savox 5055 560KV, Castle Creations ICE 80HV, Turnigy 959MG cyclic, HK47110MG tail, Castle Creations BEC pro, BeastX

MA Fury55 - OS55HZ + Outrage EVO55 pipe, HS5625MG cyclic, Spartan + HK47110MG, Align 2 in 1, Align Governor.

Kasama - Savox 5065 550KV, Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV, HK47110MB tail, Hitec 7985MG cyclic, BeastX

Comment

Did 1 flight today. Flew it despite the binding. Can't say good or bad yet, but roll rate is faster, although the feel felt a bit weird. The most impressive part is HOVER. Rock solid. Even more stable than 700. FF tracking also more straight.

Using the raptor washout arm to swash linkage, but with RJX washout arm and hub. Need to change screw to button head also.

I raised the swashplate by around 3mm and change the ball links to very responsive. Less binding now. Had to move in on servo arm to reduce load and increase resolution because very little travel required for decent blade angle.

When you used the rotor tech yellow blade, how many washer you use har? 1 is too loose, 2 is to tight. Spent more 2hr+ in the afternoon trying to grind down the washer...by hand.

sigpic

Comment

Found the problem for binding. It is due to the ball link and ball... on the shorter mixer arm on the blade grip. The linkage is binding against the hex part of the linkage ball.

sigpic

Comment

Found the problem for binding. It is due to the ball link and ball... on the shorter mixer arm on the blade grip. The linkage is binding against the hex part of the linkage ball.
                      Hmmm I did not remember having that problem. How are you solving it?
                      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

When you used the rotor tech yellow blade, how many washer you use har? 1 is too loose, 2 is to tight. Spent more 2hr+ in the afternoon trying to grind down the washer...by hand.
                        2 1mm shims. yeah, its pretty tight. pain in the @$$ to change blades. but i just try my best to jam it in lor. HAH

Comment

Ken had the solution for me and it came in the form of this...

No more binding now.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X