Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cessna 182 scratch build

I got inspired when i came across this thread on RC groups. In a couple of days I received the plans from DBlum, designer and originator of this model!

Here's my progress... As usual, i'll need some inputs as i'll need to mod the build a lil to fit my existing electronics....

Plans & material

Ribs...

With numerous balsa strips required for stringers, tail feathers etc.,it's a good thing i got a balsa stripper

Tail feathers from 3/32 x 1/8 sticks

Wings constructed. I have replaced the spars with hardwood instead of balsa. I've also made adjustments for ailerons (seen in later pic)

Wing tips

Wings joined with (3/32 balsa+CF tow +3/32 balsa) laminated spar

Aileron servo

Fuse construction starts...

more to come...... stay tuned!

wow! Johnson, this looks interesting. When do you plan to have this completed? Most of my projects were stalled midway due to domestic duties....

MS

Comment

Originally posted by msc
      wow! Johnson, this looks interesting. When do you plan to have this completed? Most of my projects were stalled midway due to domestic duties....

MS
      Hi Kah Marn, i hope to finish it in another 2wks this depends on whether i can find a way to adapt the motor mount for an outrunner. Also need to decide if I shd do away with the landing gear.

How's your KF5 coming along?

Comment

Not too sure about the motor mount. As for the landing gear, I would suggest that you go ahead and do it, as it would do the Cessna much justice in terms of appearance.

For the glider, I have done up the wing (this was the easy part), working on the fuselage. I will need to make the pod bigger to house the 2S battery. I have a bigger 1700mAh one, I think I need to buy a smaller Lipo to save weight as well as to save space.

Hope to get it up in 2 wks.

Comment

Originally posted by msc
          Not too sure about the motor mount. As for the landing gear, I would suggest that you go ahead and do it, as it would do the Cessna much justice in terms of appearance.
          The LG will stay then! Hope the balsa can tahan the stress since my AUW is expected to be higher than what the plane was designed for...Prob going for 39g GWS outrunner + 80g 3s1p 1000mAh. Original design uses GWS IPS motor and sub 1000mAh 2S, hence i'm prob >50g. Add in my aileron mod, spar etc...

Originally posted by msc
          For the glider, I have done up the wing (this was the easy part), working on the fuselage. I will need to make the pod bigger to house the 2S battery. I have a bigger 1700mAh one, I think I need to buy a smaller Lipo to save weight as well as to save space.

Hope to get it up in 2 wks.
          Sounds like good progress! Problem you might face is that the fuse becomes too "short". U'll need to think of a way to ultilise the space under the LE wing mount...mabbe jus use top half of the fuse former?

Comment

Ha Johnson, look like you are progressing fast. The last time I saw were unassenbled parts.

Me too looking for some project, but yours looks too difficult. You have any easy one?

Comment

Originally posted by renold
              Ha Johnson, look like you are progressing fast. The last time I saw were unassenbled parts.

Me too looking for some project, but yours looks too difficult. You have any easy one?
              i trying to enjoy the build...

Easy build... This one la? http://pldaniels.com/flying/models/easybox2/ Simply mod the wings for ailerons if u want....the safest bet is to go for builds with free plans and build guides. Also look out for models that ppl (novice like us) has built and flown successfully.

Comment

im new to scratch building, would like to know what adhesive u used for your wing? CA?

Comment

Originally posted by fender
                  im new to scratch building, would like to know what adhesive u used for your wing? CA?
                  Welcome to club! Scratch building can be very satisfying when the model finally takes to the air

For the wings, i use 2 types of glue:
                  CA and Probond carpenter glue

Some ppl build exclusively with either type of glue... i use CA when the parts need to be held together while the glue dries as it sets fast. Also makes building fast when you have all the ribs pinned down on the spars - just go along and wick CA to the joints.

Carpenter glue is slower setting but has good lapshear strength and sands well with balsa. I try to use this when contact area is larger and to reinforce CAed joints (probably useless and adds wt but i feel more assured that it is reinforced).

Search the forum and you will threads by more experienced users that contains lots of info.

Comment

Thanks alot for e detailed explaination.
                    i was told to use epoxy last time when i bought a kit and i had a not so fun experience building.
                    covering for wing can be messy as well! do u have any tips to share for covering wing????

THANKS!

Comment

i was told to use epoxy last time when i bought a kit and i had a not so fun experience building.
                      expoxy is used only at places where high strength is required: firewall, wing joiners/spars, betw 2 wing halves

covering for wing can be messy as well! do u have any tips to share for covering wing?
                      I'm pretty new to this myself... take a look at this thread http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...light=covering Got to ard post #38. Excellent tutorial by joe_yap

Comment

update 20/07

Landing gears using 1.5mm piano wire!

Embed between formers...

The front LG was the toughest to bend due to the stiffness of the piano wire and small bends. I also made it steerable via a brass collar...Now need to figure a way to actuate it since i have already glued in the LG mount and won't be able to bend the wire. One way is to get one of those servo arm with grub screw. Any other suggestions?

Picture of the LGs with wheels test fitted.

Comment

Firewall

Checking thrust line

Following the plans, firewall will give the motor a 4 degree down thrust.

Glueing it in place with tri stock for reinforement

Comment

Cowling

My first attempt at forming a cowling...

First the mould to be shaped from regular blue foam.

Chop away the unwanted sides with razor saw and pen knife..

Mark out the side/top profiles...

And after some sanding....

After this i attempted to stretch a heated pvc sheet over the mould. I did not have any supply of ply wood so i used some cardboard to hold the pvc sheet. End result was bad as the cardboard itself deformed under the force...will attempt this again...

Btw, I'm using the method Joe showed in this thread http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17878

Comment

Bro... wats diff between a digital trim... n a non-digital trim... in a remote.... =)

Comment

Working...
                              X