Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HINGE TAPES for EPP

i have built a 3D plane with EPP, but got one problem is that fibre packing tape don`t stick well on the EPP. every time i put on packing tape, it stick very nicely but after 6 hours it will be come off.

wat type of hinge tape is better for EPP? hopefully cheap and good. haha~

use fibretape. it seems to hold better

Comment

woops sorry! i must be blind!

Comment

I spray them with 3M 77 first before apply the fibre tapes.
        but beware not to put your planes in the car's passenger seats under hot sun as soon the heat will make the fibre tapes cpme out as well
        As my car is a hatchback, I put my planes in the boot away from sun and I put a sun shade on top of the boot cover to keep the heat down.
        sigpic

Comment

Unorthodox_Sniper:
          it is a good idea to made fibre tape stick well on EPP but it dun sound like it is for long term. 3M77 will melt with some heat.

Artyspec:
          normally DIY plane are using fibre hinge tape, so ur respone is perfectly normal. maybe my fibre hinge tape is expired liao.

Comment

U might want to try the hot glue and paper hinge method. Will have to cut a slit in the foam aka GWS style... Fill with hot glue or CA and push in the hinge...

Read somewhere that the black film in floppy disks is a good substitute for the paper hinge.

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey
              i have built a 3D plane with EPP, but got one problem is that fibre packing tape don`t stick well on the EPP. every time i put on packing tape, it stick very nicely but after 6 hours it will be come off.

wat type of hinge tape is better for EPP? hopefully cheap and good. haha~
              Cheap!! no problem. How about FREE...

Just go to some shop that throw away the packing strip (I think it is nylon). and use it just like paper hinge but use epoxy instead of CA.

Job done and it last looooooong time and CHEAP for sure.

Try it..

Comment

I was experimenting with an "untearable" material, it is the long adhesive tag used to tag your checked-in lagguage. Usually, a good long length of it is intact, and it is self-adhesive (it stick ok, but use extra epoxy or hot-glue for insurance). If anyone tried tearing it, you will find out that it is immpossible to tear. It is light. But if someone can get hold of un-printed ones...

I also think that GWS uses this for the foamy hinges, those pre-cutted rectangular thingy you slip into the foam slit and epoxy.

I found that other than epoxy, the best adhesive for EPP is hot-glue. It is very compatible, just don't let the hot tip touch the EPP, as it may melt. The smaller guns are usually low temperature guns, while the bigger ones are hotter (higher wattage). Don't use too much as the hot-glue is heavy.
                SonicBoom

Comment

on rcuniverse alot of ppl said that the disk inside a floppy disk is good for making hinge.

Comment

look like i have to try floppy disk "black" hinge.
                    thanks a million.

by the way , who have try ripstop hinge from Singapore Hobby? is that strong and sticky?

Comment

Put a layer of UHU Por on the EPP and then pasted it with the fibre tape. Quite secure as I have done it on my Zoom Zoom 4D. I believe contact cement would also do the job, but it would look yellowish!

Comment

Working...
                      X