X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Originally posted by Mad Armour
    Hi,

I've just gotten myself a spotlight with rechargable batt (2mil candle power type).

Specs: SLA 6V 4Ah

Comes with AC wall charger. Label states Adapter, Output 12V 500mA. Also comes with cig lighter plug for in-car charging.

My question is whether it's OK to charge a 6V SLA with 12V.
    Hi,

You can directly use the PSU you bought form me to charge your SLA battery. IT will switch to Trickle cahrging when your SLA battery is full. I have tested it already and is working fine.

Regards,
    Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by F/S Eagle Freya
      Hi,

You can directly use the PSU you bought form me to charge your SLA battery. IT will switch to Trickle cahrging when your SLA battery is full. I have tested it already and is working fine.

Regards,
      Eagle
      But your PSU's rated at 13A!

I'm using my Triton now. When I set it at 6V 1A, it can't charge. It starts to charge when I set it to 12V 1A. So it is right to charge at 12V.

Current reading from my charger is 14.38V 0.5A rate.
      For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Hi

But your PSU's rated at 13A!

I'm using my Triton now. When I set it at 6V 1A, it can't charge. It starts to charge when I set it to 12V 1A. So it is right to charge at 12V.

Current reading from my charger is 14.38V 0.5A rate.

13 Amperes is the maximum rated capacity of the PSU but it does not mean that when you connect a load it will deliver 13amps to your load. The current depends on the demand of the load. If your load is a battery, this current depends on how much your battery is discharge. During my testing, when you connect a discharge Lead Acid Battery the starting current starts from around 3Amps to 5Amps depending on the discharge status of your battery. As the battery reaches its full charge condition, the charging current decreases up to around 15milliamperes. At this level of charging current, the battery enters into trickle charging which means you can just leave the battery connected to the PSU without damaging it. Trickle charging means pumping a small amount of current to a battery so that the battery maintains its full charge condition at any given time. Trickle charging is applied to batteries used in Emergency Power Supply Units wherein they need to maintain the batteries at fully charge condition at any given time. When the main power shuts off, then you are sure that your batteries have enough power to sustain electricity. But of course if you predict long brownouts, then your battery capacity must be enough to sustain the length out the brownout. If you are familiar with Power Inverters, then you can relate what I mean. To cut it short, Power Inverters converts Battery Power into Alternating current.

Comment

Pooooof!!!!

OK, an update. Just now heard a soft 'pop'. Later discovered the spotlight's leaking some fluid. Disassembled and removed the SLA for inspection. Discovered the SLA has cracked!

So I've learnt that it is not correct to charge a 6V SLA with 12V. Dunno why I went against my instinct. Probably being mislead by the 12V 0.5A adapter provided. My Triton could not charge at 6V setting probably because the spot light is shipped fully charged. If so, I don't know why they include the 12V adapter rather than a 6V one.

Tomorrow gotta make a visit to SLT.

For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

OK, an update. Just now heard a soft 'pop'. Later discovered the spotlight's leaking some fluid. Disassembled and removed the SLA for inspection. Discovered the SLA has cracked!

So I've learnt that it is not correct to charge a 6V SLA with 12V. Dunno why I went against my instinct. Probably being mislead by the 12V 0.5A adapter provided. My Triton could not charge at 6V setting probably because the spot light is shipped fully charged. If so, I don't know why they include the 12V adapter rather than a 6V one.

if you go SLT, please call me.
            Go Track Repair Car...Dun Call Me
            Go Track Talk Also...Dun Call Me
            Go Track Play Car...Can Call Me :na

Comment

Hi sorry to see your SLA pooooof....Can you tell me if the included 12V adapter plugs directly to your spotlight? If so, when you open the spotlight and trace the cable, you should see a cermic resistor connected between the 12V and the 6V SLA. This ceramic resistor drop the charge voltage and limit the charge current as well. With this setup, you can plug directly to car lighter for charging as well. This is the reason why they have inlcuded the 12V charger I guess.
              Chai

Lets' moveon.......

Comment

Originally posted by moveon
                Hi sorry to see your SLA pooooof....Can you tell me if the included 12V adapter plugs directly to your spotlight? If so, when you open the spotlight and trace the cable, you should see a cermic resistor connected between the 12V and the 6V SLA. This ceramic resistor drop the charge voltage and limit the charge current as well. With this setup, you can plug directly to car lighter for charging as well. This is the reason why they have inlcuded the 12V charger I guess.
                Yup, the included 12V adapter plugs directly to the spotlight, and so is the cig lighter plug.

And you're right about the white resistor too. So you're saying that the resistor's will enable the 6V SLA to be charged at 12V.

I'm wondering why charging with Triton set at 12V caused the batt to go poof. Made-in-China SLA cmi?

Comment

Yup, the included 12V adapter plugs directly to the spotlight, and so is the cig lighter plug.

And you're right about the white resistor too. So you're saying that the resistor's will enable the 6V SLA to be charged at 12V.

I'm wondering why charging with Triton set at 12V caused the batt to go poof. Made-in-China SLA cmi?
                  The reason is because when you use an adaptor, the voltage is drop and current is limited. There is no floating charge in this instance. Therefore, you have to time your own during charging. When you use your triton charger, setting to 12V, the triton charger is not looking at the 12V from the battery. What he sees is voltage before the ceramic resistor. The charger will continue to charge as the charger always thinks that the batt is not full. This is the reason why your SLA pooooooof....
                  Chai

Lets' moveon.......

Comment

The reason is because when you use an adaptor, the voltage is drop and current is limited. There is no floating charge in this instance. Therefore, you have to time your own during charging. When you use your triton charger, setting to 12V, the triton charger is not looking at the 12V from the battery. What he sees is voltage before the ceramic resistor. The charger will continue to charge as the charger always thinks that the batt is not full. This is the reason why your SLA pooooooof....
                    Ah so des......it's a case of a smart charger become dumb! Or the operator being outsmarted by the idiot-proof spotlight!

Thanks for the info!

Anyway, the specs on the box says 6V 4A SLA, the SLA itself says 6V 6A. There's some qc issues here.

Comment

Ah so des......it's a case of a smart charger become dumb! Or the operator being outsmarted by the idiot-proof spotlight!

Thanks for the info!

Anyway, the specs on the box says 6V 4A SLA, the SLA itself says 6V 6A. There's some qc issues here.
                      With 6V 6A, it last longer than what is stated on the box(6V 4A). The charging for 6A and 4A is the same, just that 6A takes a longer time to get a full charge. If you want to use your triton to charge your spotlight in future, remove the ceramic resistor or connect your charger directly to the SLA terminal. If you choose to remove the ceramic resistor completely, don't use a wall adaptor to charge because there is no current limiting and voltage drop. Be careful.
                      Chai

Lets' moveon.......

Comment

With 6V 6A, it last longer than what is stated on the box(6V 4A). The charging for 6A and 4A is the same, just that 6A takes a longer time to get a full charge. If you want to use your triton to charge your spotlight in future, remove the ceramic resistor or connect your charger directly to the SLA terminal. If you choose to remove the ceramic resistor completely, don't use a wall adaptor to charge because there is no current limiting and voltage drop. Be careful.
                        Thanks man.....noted! Need to check the circuit and see how I can remove the resistor.

Comment

An update.

Got the SLA (6V 4.5A) from SLT and wired it up onto the spotlight. Also took the opportunity to change the teensy-weensy wires to thicker ones. I've removed the resistor too so that I can use a proper charger for charging.

Thanks Moveon for your pointers.

Comment

An update.

Got the SLA (6V 4.5A) from SLT and wired it up onto the spotlight. Also took the opportunity to change the teensy-weensy wires to thicker ones. I've removed the resistor too so that I can use a proper charger for charging.

Thanks Moveon for your pointers.
                            Remember not to use wall adaptor as charger now. Only use a proper SLA charger, like your triton............
                            Chai

Lets' moveon.......

Comment

Remember not to use wall adaptor as charger now. Only use a proper SLA charger, like your triton............
                              Yup, already put the wall adapter and the cig lighter plug away.

Comment

i think there is something wrong with my SLA ..charged my 2nos. 8.4v lipo batteries then the alarm from the T15 says incorrect voltage input..for the past 2 nights I have been charging the SLA for 12hrs each night using the wall mount charger with variable voltage input (i set to 12v) brand is i think newstar..

the voltage is only 11.48v after charging for 12hrs last night..

do you guys think the battery is gone??

i don't have a PSU so been relying on this to charge all my batteries..without it...

please advise..

Comment

Working...
                                X