Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powered sailplane help

recently into powered sailplanes namely the ask-21, asw-28 and cularis. I noticed that many a times, The plane will go into a violent roll and then a nose down crash. I researched and realised that it might be due to adverse yaw or tip stall.

I fly without Aileron differential nor Aileron rudder mixing. Should I tune some mixing? Or should I simply use some rudder in a turn to counter adverse yaw?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Most likely you are flying too slow in the turn.

Keep the speed up and make your turns wider.

These planes are not meant to turn tight and slow

And dont bank too steep when you turn

And if you have a bad airfoil, the tnedency to tip stall is greater...just keep the speed up and you should be fine.
    Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

Many scale gliders have bad wing outer section designs and they don't work very well if you fly them too slow.

To overcome this problem, apart from flying faster, you can program differential ailerons and rudder coupling. If you want to do tighter turns, start off the roll with both aileron and rudder control and follow through the turns with rudder and elevator.

When circling in thermals, you'll need to fly relatively slow and turn tight to keep in the circles. So you'll be flying nearly on the edge of tip stalling if you do not optimise your setup. You can't fly too fast either as you will overshoot the thermals.

Comment

Thanks guys. Agree with throttle up in turns. Unfortunately I need to load up the gliders with payload and hence throttle up can only help to a certain extent. I was thinking maybe I have to do the Aileron differential and rudder Aileron mix but I have never done it before. Hopefully it helps

Comment

We don't usually fly gliders with power. We only use power to climb to height and once the desired height is reached, the motor is cut and prop folded.

To fly glider faster, simply trim it to fly with a slight nose down attitute. Just a few down click of your elevator trim will do the job.

Comment

As above and two more tips:
            1) turn into the wind, not away from it. Airspeed over the wing drops when turning away from the wind, inducing tip stalls. And
            2) fly a few mistakes higher.
            [note logo]
            sigpic
            ... Why does everything I think I need always come with batteries?
            John Mayer

Comment

Working...
            X