Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help.

Hi everyone, i'm new and I need some help with choosing a plane/glider.

i've posted this http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...is-appreciated

but i came across a model called Air Wizard 1.6m EPO glider. Many of you who are experienced, please shed some light.

I've flown RC sim and can land in the sim with ease. I'm wondering which I should/could get.

1) J-power 50mm EDF jets
    2) Phoenix 2000
    3) Air Wizard 1.6

I do know that both option 1 and 2 are not a beginner plane, but more for intermediate to advanced pilots. So I hope some of you could offer me some valuable pointers.

Roughly how long a duration of the J-power 50mm edf with 4200kv motor and a 11.1V 850mah Li-po battery last(full throttle at start)? I not liking the fact that I need to plug in new batteries every 5 mins of flight time. I've heard about the horrible short duration of the EDF planes but i am not sure how true.

thanks again for reading this relatively long post.

If you're looking for your first plane, I would definately avoid #1 and #2. #3 would be a better choice based on your choices. A good beginer plane would be a sky surfer.

Good luck

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
    BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

Bro, I wish my edf can last 5 mins. Its hard, maybe if you fly circle only and keep 40% throttle, don't keep full throttle on the whole time.

Then again, quite no point also if you fly an edf this way.

5mins is pushing the batts somewhat. usually it is 3-4 minutes of air time.
      Hanger
      Hirobo XRB SR Lama
      Hirobo Quark SRB
      Hirobo Quark SRB SG
      Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
      Blade450 3D
      MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
      COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
      Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
      FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
      Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
      HK FLYJET EDF
      Artech Skyfun
      Dynam P51D Mustang
      Parkzone P51

Tx:
      Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
      Spektrum DX6i
      DX8
      Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Originally posted by sherchoo View Post
        If you're looking for your first plane, I would definately avoid #1 and #2. #3 would be a better choice based on your choices. A good beginer plane would be a sky surfer.

Good luck
        any recommendations? i can fly my friend's multiplex easystar and land it properly though.

Comment

If you can land an multiplex easystar , you should have no problems with the phoenix 2000 . Its a very gentle glider from my experience . It can even continue to fly forward by itself if you let go of the sticks after launching it into the air with some throttle of cos ( provided no wind ) . I have no idea abt the air wizard plane though . I got my phoenix 2000 even though i'm still learning to hover my heli and flew it with some help from Rommi and friends and i manage to fly it without any crashes to the ground .

Just my own opinion .

Comment

thanks man. just wondering.. a 2200kv brushless motor with a 30A ESC with a 11.1v 1100mah lipo battery can last how long?

Comment

Bro, could be 5 mins, could be 30mins, depends on alot of factors. I think of some:
              1. throttle usage
              2. wind condition (slope lift or thermal? gusty?)
              3. motor specs
              4. motor loading
              5. airframe (delta? aspect ratio? wing loading?)
              6. all up weight (AUW)
              Hanger
              Hirobo XRB SR Lama
              Hirobo Quark SRB
              Hirobo Quark SRB SG
              Blade450 3D
              MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)

Plane
              Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
              FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
              Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
              HK FLYJET EDF
              Artech Skyfun
              Dynam P51D Mustang
              Parkzone P51

Tx:
              Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
              Spektrum DX6i
              DX8
              Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Originally posted by elmosan View Post
                Bro, could be 5 mins, could be 30mins, depends on alot of factors. I think of some:
                1. throttle usage
                2. wind condition (slope lift or thermal? gusty?)
                3. motor specs
                4. motor loading
                5. airframe (delta? aspect ratio? wing loading?)
                6. all up weight (AUW)
                given that throttle is always at 100%, mild breeze to almost no wind..
                motor specs is
                Rpm/V: 2200kv
                Shaft: 3.17mm
                Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)
                Weight: 50g
                Watts: 342w
                Max Current: 34A

as for the specs of the plane

Length: 107cm
                WingSpan: 86cm
                Wing Area: 4 sq ft (0.37 sq m)
                Weight: 850g max with electronics

Comment

One of the most important tools is to get a watt meter, set everything up with the prop you intend to use and power up and see if the readings of current are withing the specs of the motor. Its a worthwhile investment if you plan to be in this hobby for a while. You can get these watt meters online or even at shops like Sing Hobby.

There is also a lot of info on the web regarding power systems.... as a start google "sizing power systems for RC planes" and it will lead you to places like this.

Now for you setup in mind.....you have all the parameters but the most important one is your prop??? What prop are you going to use? Your prop dimensions determine your power consumption for the given motor and voltage. You must size the prop for the motor you intend you use. And you size the prop for the wing loading(not weight...it is weight/wing area) and performance envelope you intend to have in your plane.

Given the Kv and voltage you intend to use, Id say if you are running 3S, your prop should be a 6x4. Thst should be more than enough for the 860 grams you intend to fly with. if you run 2s, you can use a bigger prop like an 8x4.

Now go get the prop you want, set it up and use a watt meter to measure the overall current and power. Since at 850grams or 1.8 pounds, 200 Watts should be more than enoough to bring your plane up and do some aerobatics.
                  Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

very good thread.

Let me recollect what planes i have destroyed thus far.3 x cloudsfly, 1 x st discovery, 1 x phoenix 2k, 1 x f15edf, 1 x f18edf and a few more which I really cannot recall liao.

First, bring yr ware to a funfly and seek the help of experienced brudders to set up + maiden for u. It will save you LOTS of $ that way. I started planes cos my wallet went over the fiscal cliff flying helis. Anyway, thot planes cheaper option but I guess it's just as costly. At that point in time, I did not join any funflys and would be a lone ranger at the flying field.

The best buy IMHO is a skysurfer which I still own and enjoy flying. Prob owned it for abt 2yrs and maybe suffered a few crashes but all the components are still stock. After hand launch, i would go WOT for maybe two mins and chiong as high as possible. AFter riding onto tnermal, I would cut throttle and just let it glide. Then put on my headphones and the therapy begins...totally relaxed! My longest flight was abt 40mins and I only landed cos my wife called to ask me go back for dinner. I use a 3s2200mah turnigy btw.
                    Heli-ADDICTION:
                    Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                    JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                      One of the most important tools is to get a watt meter, set everything up with the prop you intend to use and power up and see if the readings of current are withing the specs of the motor. Its a worthwhile investment if you plan to be in this hobby for a while. You can get these watt meters online or even at shops like Sing Hobby.

There is also a lot of info on the web regarding power systems.... as a start google "sizing power systems for RC planes" and it will lead you to places like this.

Now for you setup in mind.....you have all the parameters but the most important one is your prop??? What prop are you going to use? Your prop dimensions determine your power consumption for the given motor and voltage. You must size the prop for the motor you intend you use. And you size the prop for the wing loading(not weight...it is weight/wing area) and performance envelope you intend to have in your plane.

Given the Kv and voltage you intend to use, Id say if you are running 3S, your prop should be a 6x4. Thst should be more than enough for the 860 grams you intend to fly with. if you run 2s, you can use a bigger prop like an 8x4.

Now go get the prop you want, set it up and use a watt meter to measure the overall current and power. Since at 850grams or 1.8 pounds, 200 Watts should be more than enoough to bring your plane up and do some aerobatics.
                      im sorry for leaving out the size of the prop. it is 6x4 running on a 3S. im just wondering about the flight duration.

also, i'm checking this for my friend on the side, he is having a difficult time to consider the J-Power F16 50mm EDF 4.2kV brushless motor, 20A ESC (sold in jethobby) due to the flight duration. He has heard that it is only able to fly for 3 to 4 mins with a full-charge recommended battery(3S 20C 850mah). So I wanna ask you bros here whether u guys know any info?

i've read the link about the power sizing. I find it a little tough to understand.

Which place and what time in Singapore have the most pilots flying their EDFs? I wanna go take a look and learn here and there as I slowly pick up the hobby.

Comment

Assuming that you choose a prop setup that will draw the maximum of 342W from your battery, a 3S 1100mAH.

Power consumption at full throttle would be 342W/12V=28A.

Meaning that assuming your battery can push 28A - 25C Discharge - at average voltage of 12V, your motor will develop 342w as rated (providing that your ESC can also handle).

How long can your battery last?

capacity/consumption(in Amp hours)=(1.1/28)hr=2.357mins

2.357 minutes assuming that you run your lipo flat. Since we don't normally fully discharge our lipos, it is likely that at the 2.357mins point, you will end up with a battery that is seriously damaged.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
                        Hanger
                        Hirobo XRB SR Lama
                        Hirobo Quark SRB
                        Hirobo Quark SRB SG
                        Blade450 3D
                        MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)

Plane
                        Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
                        FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
                        Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
                        HK FLYJET EDF
                        Artech Skyfun
                        Dynam P51D Mustang
                        Parkzone P51

Tx:
                        Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
                        Spektrum DX6i
                        DX8
                        Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Elmosan is correct. 28 amps sounds right at full throttle with a 6x4 prop. But if you fly it glider style and power on and off. Say 10 secs per climb. To deplete half the pack You can go 11-12 10 sec clmbs. Your pack will love you more as you left 40 % in it instead of full discharge. Than store it at this level till next week before flying again. Never store lipos fully charged. Charge them the night before you fly the next day.
                          Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X