X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC Wire And Connector Current Ratings

Hi,

The following are the current ratings for RC wires and connectors for your easy reference.
    Please note that this is continuous current and for RC applications only.
    The actual numbers may vary from vendor to vendor, the total wire length from your ESC to batteries, and number of connectors used in the setup.

Wire Current Ratings (Continuous):

22 AWG5A
    20 AWG8A
    18 AWG10A
    16 AWG20A
    14 AWG40A
    12 AWG60A
    10 AWG100A
    8 AWG150A

Connector Current Ratings (Continuous):

JST5A
    EC220A
    EC350A
    EC580A
    Dean (T Conn)50A
    Micro Dean10A
    XT6060A
    XT150150A
    AS150200A
    Castle 6.5mm Conn200A
    2mm Bullet Conn30A
    3.5mm Bullet Conn50A
    4mm Bullet Conn60A
    5mm Bullet Conn80A
    5.5mm Bullet Conn120A
    6mm Bullet Conn150A
    6.5mm Bullet Conn200A

Please feedback if you spot any error in the above charts. Thank you.

Facebook - http://facebook.com/daddyhobby

left out Micro Deans 10A
    Regards,
    Xuen7

SELLING
    2 x Brand New ThunderPower G6 Batteries 65C 5000mAH
    Kontronik HeliJive 120HV ESC

Brand New Mcpx Upgrades
    Flashed XP-12A for MCPX Governed and Brushless Conversion
    Flashed XP-3A for MCPX tail brushless Conversion

BUYING
    MCPX parts / kit etc..
    Burned MCPX Mainboards

"Learning the art of forgetting for the sake of remembering"

Comment

Added Micro Dean as per Xuen's post. Never use one before.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for the heads up

Comment

Very useful info.

So it has always surprised me that some lipos or ESCs still come with the red JST connectors, even though the current draw is suspiciously higher than 5A (?), e.g. the stock arrangement on TRex-250.

Or lipos, e.g. 800mAh 20C... 0.8x20 = 16A continuous current draw possible, but still comes with JST connector and AWG 20 wires (?)
          ------------------------------
          Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
          NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Nice chart as a quick guide.

I wonder why it states EC3 rating as 40A only? It is basically a pair of 3.5mm bullet connector in a housing, which has a 50A rating on the chart instead? Most other rating I see is 50A-60A.

EC3 is my favourite connector and has never failed me.

Comment

Ec 3

Vendors of EC3 connector specify a range of 40A to 50A. So, I think to be on the safe side, I put it as 40A. If you know that your setup will draw close to 50A, it would be better to use EC5 instead and this will take wear and tear into consideration.

Comment

Fair enough. The chart is just a rough guide anyway and depends on a lot of other factors.

Comment

Originally posted by jtchoy View Post
                  Fair enough. The chart is just a rough guide anyway and depends on a lot of other factors.
                  also depends on if you have the original connectors or the copy......(eg copy DEANS) which melt at lower amps that rated
                  Revo John
                  REVOLECTRIX Singapore
                  1090 Lower Delta Rd #03-01
                  Singapore
                  [url]www.revolectrix.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by REVOJohn View Post
                    also depends on if you have the original connectors or the copy......(eg copy DEANS) which melt at lower amps that rated
                    I think most of the LHS are selling the original connectors (hope I am right). I never have any problem with connectors purchased in Singapore. Perhaps, we have to be careful when we buy it online from overseas. Any way, it is kind of hard to tell if a connector is original until there is a problem. Is there a way to tell if a connector is a copy?

Comment

Originally posted by ZENM View Post
                      I think most of the LHS are selling the original connectors (hope I am right). I never have any problem with connectors purchased in Singapore. Perhaps, we have to be careful when we buy it online from overseas. Any way, it is kind of hard to tell if a connector is original until there is a problem. Is there a way to tell if a connector is a copy?
                      deans is probably the only one you have to worry about being a copy as all the rest.....there is no patent so anyone can go out and make them. real deans should have a ceramic type of look and feel. anything that looks like molded plastic or grips on the side.......is copy
                      Revo John
                      REVOLECTRIX Singapore
                      Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by REVOJohn View Post
                        deans is probably the only one you have to worry about being a copy as all the rest.....there is no patent so anyone can go out and make them. real deans should have a ceramic type of look and feel. anything that looks like molded plastic or grips on the side.......is copy
                        The real Deans T-connector is quite slippery and hard to disengage. Or is this another fake version? Wonder why they didn't come up with the grips??
                        ------------------------------
                        Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
                        NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
                          The real Deans T-connector is quite slippery and hard to disengage. Or is this another fake version? Wonder why they didn't come up with the grips??
                          yah well define slippery. actually i find them very slippers and difficult to solder also
                          anyway if they are shiney plastic.........then not real. you'll also notice the fake ones melt and contacts move position when you try to solder them. very annoying
                          Revo John
                          REVOLECTRIX Singapore
                          Singapore

Comment

Somehow i never have problem with Dean connectors. Whatever connector you use, should change it regularly (depending on your usage).
                            Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

I would like to bring up that the current ratings in the table is a good guide to decide connection but it's important that the soldering is done properly. poorly soldered connection will increase hotspot and failure is usually the result.

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
                              BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

Working...
                              X