Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slope Flying Tips - Flying wing, Composites w flaps/spoiler vs Gliders (rudder)

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bird of Time - my thoughts about sloping it at BR

Details here http://www.dynaflite.com/airplanes/gpma1052.html
    Review here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176793

My thoughts on this for BR, for those who maybe interested:

This one plane is one hell of a floater. Period.

Flying the BOT
    LOL, that is not all of course. It is really easy to fly and I think this is the perfect poison anyone can give (Thanks Joe/ Reuben) to for starting sloping at BR. It floats well, with no bad habits and naturally wants to windvane into the wind (good for those who are learning the trick). For the multiple sessions I have been spending at BR, I spent 4 flights all lasting above an hour lol. In these flights, I have seen planes of all sorts taking off and landing, some because of conditions not being optimal, some taking a break etc, Mostly I will say when the conditions are not favourable, the BOT is one of the few that will be able to fly and "linger" a bit till the thermal or wind lift comes back. A lot of the folks are saying this will bore me to death but I still like it very much (Honestly, a good break from 3D and speed stuff for me)

Hunting for lift
    Learning to thermal with this plane is easy too, it makes very pronounced bump or escalates quite dramatically letting you know exactly where it hits you. While I learnt is that while looking for one, thermals tended to push you away too. So when I see a bump and a push away, I fly it back the same spot for confirmation and try to circle that area for lift. Works all the time. Apart from hunting for thermal and learning to slope, I was introduced to doing loops by Joe and Dennis. The BOT can be dived (not too much and too fast) to gain some speed and I am pleasantly surprised it can do multiple loops (some good fun really), in fact I did 7-8 in one such dive continuously.

Landing:
    For this part, this is a nightmare if you are new to sloping lol. Because this is a RE glider. Steering it low and trying to line for a landing can be quite hairy considering that it is a real floater. My only advice is to keep at it with numerous attempt and commit the landing only when you think it is ok lol. That works for me and for most part entertains the crowd at BR keke.
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

This is a very good discussion. I would like to add some thougths.

My first slope glider was actually a small electric RTF airplane called an Aerobird. This is typical of the pod and boom small electrics. It did very well in mild winds and the electric motor allowed me to get out of trouble if I made a mistake.

I have introduced many new slope soaring pilots using their small electrics, which we call parkflyers in the US. They typically have R/E controls and light wing loading. Many have a very good glide. The Easy Star, the Super Cub and even the Slow Stick can do very well in light conditions.

When the wind picks up I look for ways to add ballast so that they can better penetrate into the wind. Sometimes this is based on a larger battery pack and sometimes I tape metal washers to the outside or put fishing weights on the inside to add weight.

This first visit to the slope using one of these small electrics usually leads to the pilot purchasing a glider of some type. Today the Parkzone Radian or the Multiplex Easy Glider are popular as first slope gliders. And, of course the EPP flying wings remain popular.

Slope soaring, I love it!

Comment

Dynamic Soaring

Here's an interesting vid about how sailplanes can hit 200-300kmh.

The sad thing is, we'll never see dynamic soaring in Singapore... unless it's in this scale:

扇風機を使い卓上でDSを再現しました。
        sigpic
        ... Why does everything I think I need always come with batteries?
        John Mayer

Comment

Originally posted by Kantankerous View Post
          Here's an interesting vid about how sailplanes can hit 200-300kmh.

The sad thing is, we'll never see dynamic soaring in Singapore... unless it's in this scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJEp...embedded#at=76
          Don't rush to get sad now Are you sure you can't DS in Singapore? Do you have any nice thick tree lines? I've never been but from the google earth images I've seen and some of the videos I think OHR might have some potential if one was creative enough.

Check out this clip.

It would be simple enough to test with a DLG. Keep in mind it doesn't have to be blowing your socks off to DS.

Cheers!

-Jonathan

Comment

DS'ing without a slope

Here is another video of the master Joe Wurtz.

-Jonathan

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

Yes there's one particular tree line that has potential, unfortunately for a few reasons we would not try it,

1. Treeline next to road with our cars on one side and very expensive bungalows on the other. Safety issue and peace with the residence have us flying further out in the field.

2. Lately the wind comes parallel to the treeline..the flight line is in the tumble zone..makes for fun landings.

3. That treeline spends more time eating planes for some strange reason
              Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

Another treeline DS. Amazing 128mph. So now everywhere i go, i m keeping a look out, besides for usable slopes and flat fields, for DSable trees! Just need some imagination, i m sure we can find.

www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
                www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

I suppose you could do that....with a small electric glider
                  "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
                  X