Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milling greenhorn

Hello!

I am totally new to milling and would like to know what the following terms mean:

Drilling capacity, End mill capacity, Face mill capacity and Throat.

Much appreciation to any assistance offered!

Regards,
    Muddy

I think the capacity means drill max size and cutter max size. Milling has many cutter anyway like end mill face mill round nose bull etc. The throat could be the chuck or collect size?

Correct me if i m wrong.

Comment

What I would like to know is the difference between the various milling methods. From there I'd like to know what kind of capacity a certain kind of mill offers

Comment

i am asking as I was wondering what a machine like the X1 hobby mill is capable of machining. Is it capable of only milling jewellery size items or larger metal objects.

Once again, my thanks to anyone who is willing to advise me as I am looking to pick up milling and start milling some objects.

Muddy

Comment

Hi Muddy, welcome onboard

Drilling and milling capacity is the max diameter the drill or end mill can hold.

As for facing capacity, it refer to machining the surface perpendicular to the axis of rotation which in this case 20mm.

Throat refers to the distance from the center of the mill head to the column of the machine. The X1 is can machine parts bigger than its size but you probably need to do it a few section.

Cheers

Nike

Comment

Wow, that's pretty impressive, given that a small hobby milling machine can mill something larger than itself.

Is your CNC conversion for the X1 successful? I'm curious.

Comment

I got most of the stuff, hope to start working on the conversion this week.

There is a dedicated yahoo group - hf47158toCNC on CNC conversion for this model of the mill, many ppl in the world had already done it There is another member in this forum is in the process of conversion. Should be able to see something within a months time

Mike

Comment

i see... how about models such as the MJ9526 3 in 1 combo. is it possible to do CNC conversion for that?

sorry about my many questions..haha.. really appreciate your help

Comment

3in1 machine on general is more diff to perform conversion due to the small area available to mount stepper motor.

Below pic I took on my 3in1, which u can see .. <br> <br>

Comment

Heres a pic of the mill <br> <br>

Comment

Heres a pic of a conversion by a guy - Nathan on the yahoo group on his X1

Cheers

Mike <br> <br>

Comment

would be nice if the 3-1 can be converted to CNC. Tempted to get into this hobby but seriously lacking space..:P

Comment

thanks for the great pics by the way!

e-filing my taxes now.. taking ages..:P

Comment

Mike,

I realise that there are no dimensions given for the various lathe, milling and combo machines posted on this website. Would it be possible to include the dimensions somewhere?

The reason I am asking is I am looking to see how feasible it would be to put in my tiny home.. heh.

Also, you mentioned that it would be more difficult to do a CNC conversion for the combo machines. However, if possible, I would like to give it a shot sometime in the future. Is doing such a conversion totally out of the question? Given the size of my home and my pocket, I don't think getting 2 machines side by side would be feasible.

Thanks for your help Mike!

Comment

Ok.... Sounds like not a bad idea with machine footprint on the web. .... will take measurment tomorrow. If you seriously thinking of converting CNC for the 3in1, I think we need to sit down and chat. It certainly will be wonderful

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X