Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far, I've made aboout at least 6 flights and I absolutely love it. With the power loading of about 178 watts/pound, it's overkill. But with relatively good throttle resolution with modern ESC and 3S lipo, the spectrum of flight speed is fantastic.

During the maiden flight, a deliberate push of throttle sent the ship skywards and after a couple of down trim clicks and 1 click on the aileron trim, the rest of the time is filled with loops, square loops, axial/barrel/snap rolls, cuban eights, inverted flight and whatever I can remember from the book. While not exactly good at precision aerobatics, it does show it's capability and maneuverbilities.

The glide ratio is a little too good that landings approaches needs to be done from far and low or overshooting is eminent. But with this light weight and low inertia, you can get away by diving it with throttle cut and level off just a few feet above the ground and stretching the glide while bleeding off the excess airspeed, before touchdown. By the way, this mdel can really slow it down to a crawl before the model drop its nose, with the ailerons still effective.

Comment

Yap, really likes ur handyworks all these years

Saw ur kids soo big liao remind me we are getting old....hahaha and times flying too..
      Flying RC is like dating a girl...;)

Comment

This little plane is simply too much fun to fly and you'll never get enough of it. My students and I simply love it and my 2nd aileron version should be ready to fly this weekend.

Don't look down on this high-wing planes. They may look and fly like trainers but at this power to weight ratio, they can literally barnstorm in school yards, and can even do inverted low passes!

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
          The end result is no surprise at all. This superlight ship floats very well and has plenty of power and endurance to make you feel carried away while flying. It is like a very good strike between a Slowstick and an E-starter. It is much more floaty than the E-starter and yet much more rigid than the Slowstick. For someone like me, who has been flying mode 1 for the past 19 years, and yet still can take-off, fly and land this plane on mode 2, I think this already speaks for itself.

ME GUSTA!

Comment

good stuff.

makes me wanna scratch out a stik
            "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

My student just smashed the nose of the blue one after failing to pull out during an inverted flight. The nose section is gone, but the rest of the fuselage is intact.

However, the design is so simple that I didn't even bother to think about repairing. I simply robbed all the good stuff and started building a new fuselage. I am also taking this opportunity to modify the tail construction. Should be ready to fly again over the next few days.

Comment

After decommissioning at least 4 Cloud Kittens for the past few years, students seem to be not getting enough from this wonderful design from Fred Reese, at least for my electric version. As per request, I scratchbuilt the 5th of the 36" span electric version, this time with a Emax CF2812 motor, 7x6 prop. On 3S 1000mah, this plane has plenty to power, just like the previous yellow Cloud Kitten. I think it has no problem aerotowing a small glider behind it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20130929_123610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	619.0 KB
ID:	976211

Not forgetting, I have to thank Mr Moh from JET HOBBY for sponsoring balsa wood and other RC equipment for my school's club projects!

Comment

Very nice design. It must feel great to fly them with your students.

Comment

Hi Joe
                    I am new to this forum.
                    I am about to build an enlarged cloud kitten with a wing span of 66 inches electric power
                    I am looking to fit ailerons to the plane.. do you have any tips on the conversion.
                    I just love the look of this plane and I have to have one
                    thanks in advance
                    regards Robyn

Comment

Hi Robyn,

Converting to aileron wings is simple. You can reduce the wing dihedral to about 3 degrees on each wing in this case and using my 36" span version as a reference, your 66" span wings should have full span ailerons of about 1.8" chord.

You can consider using wider trailing edge stocks when building the wings and then cut the ailerons free later on.

If you plan to use 2 aileron servos, you can save the trouble to making the torque rods. Do make holes in the inboard wing ribs though, o that the servo wires can pass through the wing structure. Also you'll need to build aileron servo mounts to go with.

Comment

hi joe;

where's the plan or outline we can refer to?

at least we can work it out from there = )
                        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cloud_Kitten_15.jpg
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	976372

This is the original 15size Glow engine version.

Comment

Number 5's life ended abruptly 2 weeks ago, during a spectacular mid-air collision with a powered glider. Apart from electronics, the right wing and the ailerons, the plane is totalled.

However, the remaining parts are swiftly recycled and this number 6 is created. It is also the most decorated Cloud Kitten from my stable, although it is mostly the result of leftover coverings.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	976373Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	976374Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	976375

Comment

Last edited by joe yap; 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

Hi Joe
                                thanks for the quick reply
                                number 6 is sure one sweet looking plane...I wish I had the skills you have
                                I have trouble covering planes in one color........did I say how sweet number 6 is
                                regards Robyn

Comment

Working...
                                X